Author Topic: background checks  (Read 2888 times)

seniorgeek

• Life Member
background checks
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:50:25 PM »
I just called the background/fingerprint division of the State Police to inquire on getting a DE background check and report.
The cost is $52.50 for the check and verified copy of the background check.

Now the reason for inquiring, I am a Professional Tennis Official and PA passed a laws that all people that work with children in any formal capacity under the age of 18 must have 3 checks.
1. A report from the state police called a "Criminal background Check".
2. A report from the PA state department of human services called "Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Certification".
3. A FBI or your resident state background check if you are not a PA resident.

I have the first 2 and they were easy to get. As I stated above it will cost me $52.50 the get the DE check or I can submit my fingerprints to the FBI and wait (who knows how long) for the federal background check which costs $35.00.

Our background check for our permits is not good enough for PA. I have DECCW, PA LCTF, CO CCWP, and Utah. One would think that this would be acceptable, DE police and Lancaster Sheriffs office say no as the background check done for our permits was for that purpose only.

I have 2 choices, do not officiate in PA or get the FBI or DE check. PA will accept the DE background check.

I guess I am out more money to work in PA. I do a lot of tournaments in PA so I have no choice.
The money I receive from officiating is my "fun" money i.e. ammo, firearms, etc.

OK, off my soapbox now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

greymas

Re: background checks
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 08:09:56 PM »
I volunteered to keep score for my son's hockey team which is in PA. I had to get FBI finger prints and spend over $100 just to run the electronic scoreboard from a bench behind glass. I fail to see how this 'protects the children' as everyone else seems to think it does.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 09:14:27 PM »
Stiff upper lip gents. Your service for the kids is appreciated here and I hope by the parents of the kids there. I hope this is good for longer than a year.

Maybe the kids parents will "go fund me"? 8)
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 12:14:18 PM »
Good for you for stepping up and working with the kids.  How many parents just drop them off and do NOTHING!
It sucks that you must foot the bill. 

Been a volunteer for the scouts for years.  Fortunately they pick up the BG check fees.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »
I had to get an FBI background check for my military LEOSA. If you apply directly to the FBI it will take awhile, currently listed at 13-15 weeks. You can go through one of the approved Channelers listed on the FBI site who will do the background check for you. This will be much faster (within 2 weeks) but it will cost you a few dollars. If memory serves me it will be about $50.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks/list-of-fbi-approved-channelers

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County