Author Topic: Thoughts on How to File  (Read 6446 times)

horaceunit

Thoughts on How to File
« on: January 25, 2016, 04:17:46 PM »
I have my fingerprint appointment scheduled for this coming Wednesday (1/27/16) and I have all the other requirements except the class which is scheduled for the end of next month (closest one I could get). I know a bunch of you have been following an earlier thread I started about the reference forms but I figured I will start a new one specifically on how/when to actually file the package.  Should I go ahead and file in the next week rather than wait until I finish the course next month? Or would it make more sense to wait the extra month and file everything all together? I know the system is set up so that you can wait to take the CCW class after you know you have been approved, but would it actually make the process any faster or more certain to file everything including the class certification all at the same time. From what I gather the wait can be several months so it almost seems that getting the process started would make the most sense but what do you think?

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: Thoughts on How to File
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 04:25:01 PM »
Why don't you try to take a class sooner? Several folks on this forum offer them, such as Radnor, and Dave Johnson (forget his screen name).
If I needed to wait a month, I would submit now. Personal preference. Get the ball rolling.
New Castle County

horaceunit

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 05:13:09 PM »
I went with someone local down here in Sussex County but I suppose I would be open to traveling in a Northerly direction if possible. I know the course is "state approved" but can you take it in any of the 3 counties or just your home county?

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 05:25:00 PM »
This is Dave Johnson's site I took my class with him and his son Jeff it was a great class.   

https://sites.google.com/site/firststatefirearmstraining/
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

horaceunit

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 05:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation and I just called and spoke to Jeff and he is full up until near the end of next month too.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:32:10 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation and I just called and spoke to Jeff and he is full up until near the end of next month too.

A lot of people are starting to wake up and realize they need to be able to protect themselves.  Unfortunately I have ran into a few that should not be carrying period or get a better education on how to properly carry and handle or change their attitude about it.  Makes the rest of us look bad when people act like jerks carrying a firearm.   
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

horaceunit

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 06:46:29 PM »
Since I got out of the Navy in 1998 I had thought about getting my CCW off and on and put it off because I just didn't want to take any chances and wasn't able to convince myself that it was really necessary. The two eye openers for me have been getting a bit older and loosing a bit of physical confidence (I ain't no spring chicken no more), and the biggie was San Bernardino. Now I know I need to protect myself and my family.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 08:05:35 PM »
Since I got out of the Navy in 1998 I had thought about getting my CCW off and on and put it off because I just didn't want to take any chances and wasn't able to convince myself that it was really necessary. The two eye openers for me have been getting a bit older and loosing a bit of physical confidence (I ain't no spring chicken no more), and the biggie was San Bernardino. Now I know I need to protect myself and my family.

I totally understand the not being a spring chicken anymore.  I have been studying Martial arts for a very long time and keep up on it.  I have turned to arts that require less physical and use your opponent's own strength against them. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 11:31:16 PM »
If your in Sussex County, contact Marino Tactical Solutions near Lincoln. Kirk in a police officer and Army Reserve guy and gives a great course. I and several of my friends have taken his course and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

horaceunit

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 12:25:23 AM »
Yep that's where I'm taking it. Soonest class that they had was Feb. 27th.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 11:44:46 AM »
Would love to have you in our class, but we only cut your wait time down by a week.  Our next class is 21 Feb.
Add 2 hrs each way on top of a 10-11 hr day.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

horaceunit

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 12:42:24 PM »
Yeah that is what I am finding at every place I have contacted. Wouldn't necessarily mind the drive on a weekend, but for a week it hardly seems worth it. If you get a cancellation (except this coming weekend) let me know!

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 05:28:52 PM »

A lot of people are starting to wake up and realize they need to be able to protect themselves.  Unfortunately I have ran into a few that should not be carrying period or get a better education on how to properly carry and handle or change their attitude about it.  Makes the rest of us look bad when people act like jerks carrying a firearm.   

Took a class and all was fine until we got to the range. I sounded like a broken record saying "get you finger out of there" over and over trying to protect everyone including the instructor who had 8 people on the line. I was on the line between two guys who must not have had any training in firearms. Bad enough when their fingers are creeping into the trigger guard waiting on directions, but I had to get tough when they racked one in the chamber with their finger on the trigger! It's unbelievable. I hope my constant warnings sunk in, but I doubt it.

Had an elderly gentleman point his gun at my head when taking his pistol out of its case. He assured me it was never fired! Somehow that didn't make me feel better. So glad that is over with. Yes I gave that elderly guy the business.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2016, 06:52:46 PM »
Well done, @ppscarry.  Your admonitions may have gone in one ear and out the other but some do listen.
A Will Rogers quote comes to mind:
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:50:35 PM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 07:35:24 PM »
Well done, @ppscarry.  Your admonitions may have gone in one ear and out the other but some do listen.
A Will Rogers quote come to mind:
There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Pee on the fence! Bubbles shot out my nose. You got me, lmao.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer