Author Topic: Not the Brightest Crayon in the Box  (Read 5720 times)

Obleo

• Life Member
Re: Not the Brightest Crayon in the Box
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:21:33 PM »
From what I've read a CCDW in CO is good state-wide.  Why open carry at a time and location like this unless you were looking for attention?
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:52:09 PM »
I want to keep an eye on this one. I bet no charges will be filed.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »
From what I've read a CCDW in CO is good state-wide.  Why open carry at a time and location like this unless you were looking for attention?

As I said, not the brightest crayon in the box.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 12:35:12 PM »
Not sure about Colo. laws.  If he had a permit to carry concealed, why not do just that??  I understand that in some places, open carry is allowed, but it definitely makes people nervous.  I carry concealed, for my protection.  Why should anyone else know I have that gun, and possibly cause alarm.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 02:21:18 PM »
Not sure about Colo. laws.  If he had a permit to carry concealed, why not do just that??  I understand that in some places, open carry is allowed, but it definitely makes people nervous.  I carry concealed, for my protection.  Why should anyone else know I have that gun, and possibly cause alarm.

Many of the OCers feel that the practice is a good deterrent to crime.  Maybe it is, but it seems like an invitation to problems. 

After a careful review of my daily schedule, though, I found that I don't have one spare millisecond for: being hassled or otherwise bothered; making a "statement"; or offering no-cost education to others about their rights. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »
Not sure about Colo. laws.  If he had a permit to carry concealed, why not do just that??  I understand that in some places, open carry is allowed, but it definitely makes people nervous.  I carry concealed, for my protection.  Why should anyone else know I have that gun, and possibly cause alarm.

Many of the OCers feel that the practice is a good deterrent to crime.  Maybe it is, but it seems like an invitation to problems.

After a careful review of my daily schedule, though, I found that I don't have one spare millisecond for: being hassled or otherwise bothered; making a "statement"; or offering no-cost education to others about their rights.

Yes, I am with 100%.

I can see someone OCing because he/she doesn't have a CCW license, or going to a gun related activity, otherwise I see it as wanting attention and/or wanting to make political statement.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »
I O/C about 50% of the time. I will not be critical of anyone on how they choose to carry as long as they carry (OK, accept for that guy I saw at Wal-Mart with a thigh holster and multicolored cargo pants trying to look like a Dog the Bounty Hunter impersonator). I can only say I O/C as a matter of personal preference. Sometimes I choose not to hide the fact that I am exercising my 2A rights and other times I understand that discretion is necessary. I O/C'd at the Chik-Fil-A in Camden Wednesday during the appreciation event.  I did not O/C as a political statement, I went to the event as a political statement, as did many others, and I just happened to be O/C'ing while there.  My O/C'ing did get me into several good conversations.  I then did some shopping in Dover and changed to concealed carry.  I have yet to have a negative encounter but I understand the possibility exists. 

As for the guy in the theater I am still waiting to see if any charges results from his actions.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
I want to keep an eye on this one. I bet no charges will be filed.

I was right.

HORNTON, Colo. (CBS4) – Charges will not be filed against a man who brought a gun into a movie theater in Thornton.

James Mapes was arrested at the Cinebarre Theater one week after the theater shootings in Aurora.

The Adams County district attorney determined Mapes has a concealed carry permit and did not make any threatening moves with the weapon. The district attorney says Mapes did not violate any laws.

Mapes told CBS4 he’s happy to hear the news and knew he was innocent all along.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2012/09/04/man-who-brought-gun-to-thornton-theater-wont-be-charged/

Sussex County