Author Topic: CCDW permits  (Read 3990 times)

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
CCDW permits
« on: May 23, 2016, 02:48:09 PM »
Since my Senator is in favor of HB325, I figured I had to send her an email...

Dear Mrs. Blevins,

Hope this finds you well.

I'm sure you were in favor of HB325 (correct me if I'm wrong please) increasing the time limit from 3 days to 30 for firearm transfers.

Would you please introduce a Bill requiring the State to complete the process for obtaining a CCDW permit to 30 days instead of the upto 6 months they take now.  If 30 days is enough time to process the paperwork for a transfer, it should be enough time to issue the residents of the State their permit to carry a firearm.

Would be interested in your reply to such Bill.

Have a great day.

Radnor
Address of the rock I live under
Cell Number

Will be interesting to see if I receive a reply.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: CCDW permits
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 02:52:29 PM »
Anyone else interested in contacting their elected official(s)?

Also sent a copy to Jeff Speigleman (PRO GUN).
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 04:12:19 PM »
Anyone else interested in contacting their elected official(s)?

Also sent a copy to Jeff Speigleman (PRO GUN).

Yes I am always ready for some advocating.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 05:51:30 PM »
And a reply from Mrs. Blevins....

Radnor,

You are right, I do support HB 325.  As for the CDW permit, that takes more than a background check.  A judge then has to rule on the permit, taking into account a number of factors, such as the recommendation letters, any misdemeanor record and a number of other factors.  I will check with the court to see if they think they could speed it up.  However, it is important that the wrong people don't carry concealed weapons.  My office will get back to you.

Patti Blevins

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:03:53 PM »
And naturally a reply....

Thank you for the quick reply.

I dont think there is a law abiding citizen out there who thinks a criminal should be carrying a concealed weapon.

While you are checking with the court, would you please check to see how many people were prohibited persons VS those PROSECUTED for the offense?  I am interested to see if the News Journal article is correct stating 70% of the gun offenses are dropped.

Thank you for your time!

Radnor

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 03:47:12 PM »
An update from June 15th...

Hi, Radnor,

I wanted to let you know that we’ve been working on your request regarding shortening the length of time it takes for a concealed carry permit to be approved. Initially, we thought the Courts may be able to address this, however, this is what I received from the Superior court liaison:

“The Department of Justice investigates an applicant who files a petition to carry a concealed deadly weapon.  After the Department’s investigation concludes, the Department informs the court of their position on the application.  If the application does not have any opposition, the Court reviews prior to issuance of a permit.  If the Department opposes the application, the applicant may file for a hearing.”

I need to inquire further with the DOJ to see if anything can be expedited on their end. I will let you know when I have more information.

Sincerely,
Carling

Ms. Carling Ryan
Special Assistant to the President Pro Tempore
Delaware State Senate
Wilmington: (302) 577-8542
Dover: (302) 744-4133
carling.ryan@state.de.us