Author Topic: CCW and the C&D canal  (Read 2633 times)

DE Tom

CCW and the C&D canal
« on: March 15, 2013, 09:52:43 AM »
I know that your not allowed to carry on the canal. Federal. What is their reason? has anybody tried to change or challange the law? I am new to the group, so you may have covered this before.  Thank you Tom

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: CCW and the C&D canal
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »
This just a guess, but bullets have been known to skip or ricochet on water. If someone shoots it could hit a boater or ship. The canal I believe is a Corp of Engineer project which is Federal.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

hellyes

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »
I have asked this question to several different people including law enforcement. The only answer i have ever gotten was that it is federal property. If it was a federal park it would be ok. You are allowed to hunt down there and have hunting weapons during hunting season but can't have a gun any other time. Doesn't quite make a whole lot of sense to me. My family does alot of fishing down there spring, summer and fall and of all places in Delaware that I feel I may need protection it is down there. 

quickdraw

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 02:31:47 AM »
I used to hunt the C&D canal extensively and often questioned the reasoning behind this restriction. The bullet theory doesn't seem to be the reason since they do allow blackpowder hunting. Delaware does not however allow  concealed carry in any State Wildlife areas. As for open carry, it's not clear if that is a State regulation or Federal. I suspect it's a State of DE. I may do some  research on Army Corps of Engineer rules and regulations.

hellyes

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 03:07:46 PM »
If you did up any info. Quickdraw please post it here.

quickdraw

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
After doing some research, it appears that last summer, the US House attempted to have the Army Corps of Engineers land firearm regulations brought in line with US National Parks.  That's as far as it got. At this time, no firearms allowed except for hunting purposes on designated areas as permitted by each State.