Author Topic: Do the police know if you have a permit?  (Read 4247 times)

kent

Do the police know if you have a permit?
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:40:47 PM »
When a police officer verifies your drivers license do they know if you have a CCDW permit? Can they find out or do they only know when you tell them? Just curious.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

kent

Re: Do the police know if you have a permit?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 06:31:44 PM »
OK, This isn't a trick question. Does the info pop up on police laptops or do they not know? It was my understanding when I took the CCDW Firearms course that the Prothonotary (Courts) were given the responsibility of issuing the license to keep the info private and out of the hands of law enforcement.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:58:42 PM »
This question has appeared before, and I was told by a former state policeman that it showed on their computer that you had one. Another commenter said they talked to a policeman and was told it didn't. Don't have the answer. I guess you'll have to ask a polkiceman to show you. Or, maybe, make shore you don't get stopped. I think the thing to do if you get stopped is to put your hands on the top of the steering wheel in plain sight and comply with what ever he asks you. If he doesn't bring it up or ask of you have any weapons, let it go. If he asks, you need to be forthright and tell them you are carrying and have a permit.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Ravensfootball56

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 11:37:37 PM »
When your Drivers License is run on the CJIS (Criminal Justice Information System) system here in Delaware no it will not show you have a CCDW, however there is a function where you can type in someone's name and DOB and check to see if they hold a DE CCDW Permit, so no it won't pop up automatically based on DL or License plate inquiry's but it's not private and can been searched by Law Enforcement, I hope this answers your question!
BS

John

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 03:07:29 AM »
Raven knows what he's talking about.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 06:31:41 AM »
If he asks, you need to be forthright and tell them you are carrying and have a permit and are carrying.
Fixed for you : ). If you have to tell an officer I think its prudent to state that you have a permit first and then say you're carrying a firearm. It's the little things. Saying you have a firearm first could push a button on the LEO and have consequences before you have the chance of finishing your sentence.

FIREFIGHTER7248

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 03:01:17 AM »
They do not know you have a permit right off hand unless you give them a reason to start searching then they can find it
Sussex County