Author Topic: Senate Bill 137  (Read 22068 times)

ThePixelated

Senate Bill 137
« on: May 07, 2014, 09:55:01 PM »
From the NRA-ILA:

This week, NRA-ILA learned of a potential bill being circulated in the Delaware General Assembly that would prohibit the manufacture, sale, transfer or possession of a firearm, firearm component or accessory including ammunition that is “undetectable” by standard metal detectors.  While its language is not currently available, reports indicate that this legislation is being circulated by anti-gun state Senator Harris McDowell (D- Wilmington) as Senate Bill 137.  SB 137 would go far beyond existing federal law banning undetectable firearms, and because of flaws in the definitions used in this bill, has the potential to ban possession of virtually ALL magazines and ALL modern cartridge ammunition.  This legislation is yet another example of anti-gun legislators attempting to regulate technology they do not understand, and address a problem which doesn’t exist.

SB 137 could be introduced as early as TODAY.  It is important that you contact your state Senator and state Representative TODAY and preemptively oppose this attack on your rights by respectfully asking them to OPPOSE SB 137.

Got it in an email today and from the web: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2014/5/delaware-anti-gun-bill-being-circulated-in-dover-your-action-is-needed.aspx

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Senate Bill 137
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:40:19 PM »
I just checked the State of Delaware legislative site and the bill has not been introduced as of this time.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 11:27:52 PM »
I just checked the State of Delaware legislative site and the bill has not been introduced as of this time.

Correct.

"First, let me apologize for the poor quality.  This bill was circulated today for cosponsors and I only had a couple of seconds to take a picture of it with my cell phone.  In other words, it is not even online for public viewing yet.

Here are my initial thoughts about the bill;
-How do you enforce this if 3d printers are legal, the computer file needed for the 3d printer is legal, and neither are traceable?
-Why does the bill mention parts that are not part of the legal definition of a firearm (in other words, by the letter of this law, after the mentioned parts are removed, the gun could still retain metal sights or other parts and be legal or illegal?  If the whole firearm is plastic for a metallic serial number plate, is that illegal?)
-Is the plastic magazine and similar parts illegal or only illegal when attached to a legally defined firearm?
-Is there an official hand held metal detector setting?  Commercial metal detectors can detect the iron content of a person's blood.
-What is undetectable ammunition?
-What is an undetectable magazine?
-Will existing firearms/parts be grandfathered?  How would it be known if they are pre or post ban if printed firearms and parts are not dated?

What do you think?"

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:31:02 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 01:39:42 AM »
Simply put, its a Bad Bill. It should not be modified, appended or appeased but rejected and not passed. With any hope it'll not even get that far.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:39:08 PM »
It posted today
http://legis.delaware.gov/LIS/lis147.nsf/vwLegislation/SB+137/$file/3081470159.docx?open
-–------------
Section 1. Amend Chapter 14, Title 11 of the Delaware Code by making insertions as shown by underlining and deletions as shown by strike through as follows:
11 Del C §1446B Undetectable Firearms.
(a) Any person in this state who manufactures or causes to be manufactured, or who knowingly imports into the state for sale, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, transfers or receives, or who possesses any undetectable firearm, firearm receiver, ammunition, or magazine designed to hold ammunition is guilty of a class G felony.
(b) As used in this section, an "undetectable firearm" means any firearm which, after removal of grips, stocks, and magazines, is not detectable by a metal detector or magnetometer because there is no material permanently affixed that would be detectable by a metal detector or magnetometer, either handheld or otherwise, that is set at standard calibration.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 11:23:50 PM »
I've got about 2000 rounds of all plastic .308 "practice ammunition" from Germany.

Guess that I'll be spending a long time in jail if the bill passes.

"is not detectable by a metal detector or magnetometer"
Note that the qualifier "either" is not included.
Brass shell casings & most loaded rounds cannot be detected with a magnetometer & therefore almost all ammunition could potentially
be illegal. Just tested both with a metal detector wand. At a typical medium sensitivity setting, brass is only detectable within about an inch & only if
you scan over it slowly. Loaded 9mm needs to be within about 3 inches.

In any case, letter has been sent to my rep & senator. So much for the notion that no new gun legislation would be introduced this session.
See you at the committee hearing.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:38:08 AM »
letter sent to senator Ennis.. they can't help themselves...
and you can't believe a word they say..
New Castle County

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 03:11:08 AM »
I emailed each of the Senate Public Safety Committee ;D
I hope everyone else who see's this gets involved as well !  ;)

18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 04:35:04 PM »
From the NRA-ILA:

This week, NRA-ILA learned of a potential bill being circulated in the Delaware General Assembly that would prohibit the manufacture, sale, transfer or possession of a firearm, firearm component or accessory including ammunition that is “undetectable” by standard metal detectors.  While its language is not currently available, reports indicate that this legislation is being circulated by anti-gun state Senator Harris McDowell (D- Wilmington) as Senate Bill 137.  SB 137 would go far beyond existing federal law banning undetectable firearms, and because of flaws in the definitions used in this bill, has the potential to ban possession of virtually ALL magazines and ALL modern cartridge ammunition.  This legislation is yet another example of anti-gun legislators attempting to regulate technology they do not understand, and address a problem which doesn’t exist.

SB 137 could be introduced as early as TODAY.  It is important that you contact your state Senator and state Representative TODAY and preemptively oppose this attack on your rights by respectfully asking them to OPPOSE SB 137.

Got it in an email today and from the web: http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2014/5/delaware-anti-gun-bill-being-circulated-in-dover-your-action-is-needed.aspx

I had 1 response already to my surprise ----------->

Joseph,
I completely agree with you about this proposed legislation being too vague.
I will not sign it out of committee, and if it does make it to the Senate floor I will not vote for it.
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 12:29:14 PM »
FLAP!  Yahoo mail is not being nice this morning. 

I emailed Patty Blevins and received a reply.  She said
she has not talked to the sponsor of the Bill yet to
have an opinion.

Will post the emails once Yahoo mail stops being a PITA.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 08:37:35 PM »
Senator Ennis reply:  I will vote "NO" SB 137

He is a Second Amendment supporter.

I asked him why it has him as a co-sponsor?. He will remedy that with a " Withdraw of Sponsorship Request " form. he does not

recall of ever signing on to it..
New Castle County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
Senator Ennis reply:  I will vote "NO" SB 137
I asked him why it has him as a co-sponsor?. He will remedy that with a " Withdraw of Sponsorship Request " form. he does not recall of ever signing on to it..

He isn't a sponsor now
http://legis.delaware.gov/LIS/lis147.nsf/vwLegislation/SB+137?Opendocument
Primary Sponsor:   McDowell    Additional Sponsor(s):    Rep. Keeley
CoSponsors:   Sens. Peterson, Henry, Marshall, Sokola, Townsend & Reps. J. Johnson, Brady, Heffernan, Potter, Jaques
Introduced on :   05/08/2014   
New Castle County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »
I support the bill 100%. There is no reason whatsoever to produce weapons that cannot be detected, this prohibition should be on the Federal level as well.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 12:00:49 AM »
Sent this to the Senate Public Safety Committee and my reps

Hon. Senators;
Questions on SB 137:
1. Is the federal law insufficient? In what ways?
2. What credible threat are you addressing in Delaware?
3. What will this bill cost in implementation and enforcement?
4. How do you parse "undetectable firearm, firearm receiver, ammunition, or magazine designed to hold ammunition"?  Is it "undetected firearm, any firearm receiver..." or is it intended to say "undetectable firearm, undetectable firearm receiver"?
5. What are the calibration standards for metal detectors and magnetometers? A reference to the federal standards is necessary.
6. Is it either a magnetometer or metal detector, i.e., fail either one, or fail both?
7. Does "knowingly" apply to all the subitems, e.g., "knowingly possesses"? As written that is not clear.
New Castle County

SteveMiller

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 11:23:24 PM »
Senator Ennis reply:  I will vote "NO" SB 137

He is a Second Amendment supporter.

I asked him why it has him as a co-sponsor?. He will remedy that with a " Withdraw of Sponsorship Request " form. he does not

recall of ever signing on to it..

Thought that sounded fishy.  Happy to hear he is against.
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America