Author Topic: New Member - NCC starting ccw process  (Read 8539 times)

greymas

New Member - NCC starting ccw process
« on: March 18, 2016, 03:24:28 AM »
I've lived in DE all of my life and finally decided to get my ccdw. I'm sure there are plenty of tips on this website but I would love to hear your experiences. So far the toughest part has been finding 5 unrelated references who are not totally against firearms. I'm hoping putting my name in the paper doesn't freak out the neighbours too much  ;D

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Re: New Member - NCC starting ccw process
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 06:02:36 AM »
The wait is the worst part but while  you wait make sure to read up on the laws and when that DE CCW gets to you head to lancaster and get your PA LTCF.  Read up and ask questions someone here has the answer.  My wait was about 5 months but so worth it.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
First, welcome!  

The 5 references...  Where do you shoot now?  Sure you could find them there.  Friends?  It's not as hard as you think.

I agree, the wait sucks!!!

Do you have a class lined up?  If not, I can help with that and the entire process.

Things you can do now: run your ad and gather references.
For the reference questionnaire on the first page there is a bold line about 1/3 of the way down.  Above it
is YOUR personal info.  Fill that in and make 6 copies.  This will give you 2 extras if someone screws one up.

Any other questions, please feel free to ask.  Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 01:39:13 PM by Radnor »
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 02:50:22 PM »
If you can get more than 5 references, all the better. When I got mine I turned in 6 references, all of which I had known for 5-over 20 years. Got my permit fast.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:19:05 PM »
Welcome aboard & that was the hardest thing for me as well.
I don't have many close friends in DE. I moved down from NY in 2005
I was able to get 6 with no problems, I figured 1 extra couldn't hurt just in case.
And as for neighbors mine said laughing they knew where to go if all hell broke loose and needed protection LOL !
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:08:10 PM by joep19934 »
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

Ladian

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 02:58:55 PM »
That's what kept me from doing it for so many years. I was always afraid to ask people if they would sign one for me. Once I got determined, and got my 5 references, I didn't care what my neighbors thought!! I wanted to do this 25 years ago. I'm glad I finally did. I just wished it wasn't this hard or expensive for something that's a constitutional right....

Glad to see your taking the journey:-)
PA LTCF
DE CCDW
New Castle County

greymas

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 12:33:27 AM »
Thanks all!
I got 5 references. 2 live at same address with each other. The way I interpret the rules, I cannot use someone from the same address I reside in, but references who share same address with each other should be fine. Yes? I potentially have a 6th reference I hope to hear back from.

I signed up for a class held a Cabela's with 302 TacOps. Anyone take this one?

I will be calling to put my add in the paper this week and will be getting finger printed as well. Is this a state and federal background check?

I'm sure the wait is the worst. I'll be spending time going through the forum, I'll have tons of questions now that I'm going through with the process. 

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 01:26:03 AM »
Remember the finger prints are only good for 45 days make sure everything else is done before you do those.  The add in the paper will run for 10 days I got my afidavit about a week after that from the paper

NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 01:30:12 AM »
Thanks all!
I got 5 references. 2 live at same address with each other. The way I interpret the rules, I cannot use someone from the same address I reside in, but references who share same address with each other should be fine. Yes? I potentially have a 6th reference I hope to hear back from.

I will be calling to put my add in the paper this week and will be getting finger printed as well. Is this a state and federal background check?

I'm sure the wait is the worst. I'll be spending time going through the forum, I'll have tons of questions now that I'm going through with the process. 

Do not forget to get the way you will be carrying sorted out too while  you wait.  DO NOT skimp on your gear I got a belt from zacks gun belts and a stealth gear holster I had my CC gear months before my permit arrived.  Gave me time to try it on and make sure it was going to work for me.  Zacks belts are well worth the money but there is a lengthly wait for them.  http://www.zachsgunbelts.com/
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

greymas

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 02:51:31 AM »
I got a good belt from beltman years ago when I started thinking about ccdw. I have a horse hide crossbreed for IWB, but it seems to squeak a lot and I can't seem to quiet it down. I may be in the market for a new IWB holster that doesn't have such an audible print ;).

Thanks for the info on fingerprinting, I'll call and reschedule for another day.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2016, 04:17:48 AM »
I got a good belt from beltman years ago when I started thinking about ccdw. I have a horse hide crossbreed for IWB, but it seems to squeak a lot and I can't seem to quiet it down. I may be in the market for a new IWB holster that doesn't have such an audible print ;).

Thanks for the info on fingerprinting, I'll call and reschedule for another day.

Check these guys out they have been great to me I have 4 different holsters from them http://stealthgearusa.com/
Very comfortable holster solid company
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 09:16:34 AM »
 The ad need not run for 10 days; the ad must run (at least) 10 days before filing your application.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Steveo

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 01:42:30 PM »
I took 302 Tactical class at Cabela's. Bill is a good and informative teacher, keeps the class very interesting. His class is also good for Florida, so when you get fingerprinted pay the extra couple dollars for hard copies of prints so you can send to Florida which will be reciprocal with 30+ states. Bill will explain all this and give you the paperwork. I put my add in the Newark paper which is $30 cheaper than News Journal. There is a percentage for readership if they will take the add and they will let you know. Good luck and be safe.i
Thanks all!

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »
Seems my neighbors attitude toward guns are positive. This must have to do with visible drug use and robberies. Police are frequently in front of my house or in the neighborhood. Folks that I was hesitant to ask turned out to be very positive once I explained my reason. Turns out most of them have guns on their nightstands and feel better knowing I want to carry. Some of them are applying for their permits, varying in age from their 20's to their 70's. What a relief knowing they are armed. Now, let me check the mailbox for the 11th week in a row!
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

greymas

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »
... let me check the mailbox for the 11th week in a row!

Wow, I might as well try and forget I even applied for now. Let us know as soon as you get news.