Author Topic: CCW Courses - My Review of 302 TacOps - Look no further  (Read 3530 times)

SlowIsSmoothSmoothIsFast

CCW Courses - My Review of 302 TacOps - Look no further
« on: September 14, 2012, 02:25:59 PM »
Thanks for opening! I have been a passive reader of this site for well over two years now. It wasn't until I took my CCDW course at 302TacOps that I decided to "join" and post so that I could share my experience that I hope will benefit anyone who is figuring out how best to navigate the CCDW licensing process.

I began researching concealed carry and its requirements about a year ago as I have a young family (two kids, ages 4 & 1) and wanted to accomplish three things: 1) I wanted to learn to safely handle firearms, which included demonstrating to my paranoid wife that she should be comfortable with these tools in our home, 2) I wanted to learn basic techniques to become a proficient shooter, and 3) I, like most on this site, wanted to take a course that satisfied the classroom portion of the CCDW requirement in Delaware.

I thought for sure I would be going through the motions of the course and taking the bits and pieces of information away from the class that had real value... my expectations were absolutely blown out of the water!!!

I was expecting either a retired cop or an old hunter - The instructor at 302 TacOps, Bill Walters, has an Ivy League firearms education and had my attention from the jump. We covered almost more solid material in the course than I could absorb. Yes, we covered the basics as required but also got into real stuff. Firearm safety as it relates to CCW; condition of carry, reacting to a threat, the Tueller rule, criminal and civil law with case studies prepared by an attorney. Bill gave us real life scenarios to consider from the CCW perspective. Were actions justified legally or not? What civil consequences might there be even if found innocent in criminal court? Castle doctrine - what is it? how does it apply?  What physiologically happens in a shooting scenario (auditory exclusion, adrenaline dump, tunnel vision, loss of fine motor skills, etc).  It truly drove home the responsibility of a person seeking to CC.

One of the biggest eye-openers that pulled it all together for me (as a now CCW license holder) was the live (people, not ammo - no live ammo was permitted in class) drawing from concealment under "attack". The space in which the course is held has a large classroom in one section and a jiu jitsu gym in another. The whole class saw and felt the practical application of the Tueller/21' rule by lining up across the gym (about 25') in pairs. One student would prepare to draw from concealment while the other would charge toward him/her. The stationary person, knowing that the attack was coming would have to draw from concealment and put a dry-fired round on target and under control.  Yes, the "victim" knows it's coming - that was the eye opener... even though we knew it was coming, it was still tough to draw and fire, which is where we got into awareness.

Long story short, the class was great and obviously much better than I expected.  302 TacOps also offers the education required for a Florida CCW license, too (this gives reciprocity with +/- 35 states).  In addition to the course, Bill helped me through the application process, was responsive to calls and emails, and has remained an open resource when I have questions.  Also, having the option of shooting your qualifier outside, on a private range, with the last of the drills on steel targets is awesome!  Bill also helped me with the pitch to my wife on having guns in our home with small kids.  All three goals accomplished!

ALMOST BEST OF ALL...  The education and training do not stop at CCW!  I am taking Bill's Handgun II course tomorrow, which offers additional and advanced training:  Shooting and moving, tactical reloads, shooting from cover, engaging multiple targets, etc. I invite anyone seeking additional feedback to email/message me through this forum.  I am a real person who was in your shoes not long ago.  I am now still a normal person like you but also a CCW license holder in Delaware and Florida and little by little getting more proficient with my weapons systems...  

If you want to go through the motions, sure you can take any course you want.  If you want to benefit from the experience I described above, look no further than 302 TacOps!

joek

• NRA Life Member, USCG veteran
Re: CCW Courses - My Review of 302 TacOps - Look no further
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 04:07:03 AM »
Nice review. 

SlowIsSmoothSmoothIsFast

Re: CCW Courses - My Review of 302 TacOps - Look no further
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:38:03 PM »
Thanks, Joek!