Author Topic: Handgun transfer In DE.  (Read 4932 times)

Hank

Handgun transfer In DE.
« on: March 26, 2011, 11:40:08 AM »
Question time.
Does anyone know how to transfer a handgun In DE. between two parties without an a FFL dealer, Is It legal? Thank you ahead of time.
Hank.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Handgun transfer In DE.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
AFAIK, yes.
IANAL, YMMV.

ONVIAHAPR.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 12:37:25 AM »
  ???    ???
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

John

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 01:12:46 AM »
 ???

Hank

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:09:43 AM »
I'm very sorry If this Is a brilliant question, If I knew the answer I would not have ask.Thanks for your Input anyway!!! You all made my day

muleman88

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Hank I do believe its legal to sell a handgun in De without a ffl. Although I feel you may want to pay an ffl to do the paperwork anyhow. That way your name would not be listed as the owner incase something happened or the person you sold it to has resold it and it ends up in the wrong hands. I thnk old grey has that listed in his abbreviations but I cant decifer it.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 01:13:17 PM »
"As Far As I Know...
I am not a lawyer, Your mileage may vary.

Offer not valid in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico."

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »
Hank I do believe its legal to sell a handgun in De without a ffl. Although I feel you may want to pay an ffl to do the paperwork anyhow. That way your name would not be listed as the owner incase something happened or the person you sold it to has resold it and it ends up in the wrong hands. I thnk old grey has that listed in his abbreviations but I cant decifer it.

I second that, the FFL fee (usually $20) is worth for my peace of mind.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 04:37:09 PM »
F2F without a FFL is fine both DE residents, right?
I would have no issues F2F to another DE resident if the buyer has DE CCDW.
If you wanted to CYA, could draw up a bill of sale and record drivers lic info etc. 
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 11:11:48 PM »
it is legal for a de resident to sell to another de resident without using a FFL transfer.  HOWEVER, in my opinion, unless you know without a shadow of a doubt that someone is not a prohibited person, it's worth the time and trouble to make the buyer pay for an official transfer. 

For me, when I've sold a firearm, it's only been to those folks I know very well, and I ALWAYS get a bill of sale written up with the S/N, make, model, and name & home address (as listed on their DL).  I should say that the one time I did sell to someone I knew but felt like I didn't know that well, I made them pay for the FFL transfer.  I also still completed the bill of sale. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

John

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 12:23:00 AM »
Old G, thanks for clearing up my confusion ;D

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 12:43:21 AM »
Anytime, John.

I think Moosie sums it up best. It's a crime to transfer a firearm to anyone you know to be either a person prohibited or a resident of another state. I've always worried that the "burden of knowledge" would be reversed if a problem arose later.

If someone you don't know wants to buy your gun but objects to a BG check & transfer through a FFL, run like the wind... because they probably work for Michael Bloomberg, or are a dangerous criminal (but I repeat myself).