Author Topic: Concealed Carry for Women  (Read 9857 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Concealed Carry for Women
« on: November 23, 2010, 12:55:02 AM »
Since several of you have mentioned your wives have gotten their permits coupled with the fact that I'm constantly looking for more info on concealed carry for women, I thought i'd post the following.  (there is a video at the top of the page that I didnt watch)...

Moosie

http://gunholsters.com/blog/concealed-carry-clothing-for-women/

Throw away the fanny packs and unflattering tactical pants, ladies. There are a dozen ways you can conceal your weapon while remaining your stylish self.

As YouTube user Faliaphotography demonstrates in the above video, a new wardrobe is not required when you pick up that CCW license. As an advocate of on-body carrying, she doesn’t think women should put a gun in a purse or car because someone could easily snatch it up. The 28-year-old dresses in a completely innocuous manner. And being 5’4” and 120 pounds, she doesn’t have many places to hide her Ruger LCR.

With most outfits, she recommends wearing an IWB holster, even in the winter. The other options listed below come in handy when pants are either too tight or lack belt loops.

Dresses & Skirts – Some of the most feminine outfits prove to be the most difficult for concealed carry. She suggests using a thigh holster for those dressy occasions. It does cut down on the draw time, but it’s better to carry than to not, right? She said it’s easy to walk and sit down when wearing the thigh holster.

Shorts – If you thought it was challenging to carry in a dress, try wearing shorts. Faliaphotography says her shorts and tight shirt combination makes it impossible to hide a weapon. She attempts to wear a thigh holster, but it is a no-go. The holster hangs out from underneath the shorts. To top that, she has to unzip her pants in order to draw. Distracting? Yes. Tactical? No.

Tight Pants – What happens when there’s no room (or belt loops) for a holster around the waist? If the bottoms of your pants are baggy, try an ankle holster. You’ll have to use both your hands to lift up your pant leg to draw, so be sure to practice.

Jeans – Time to break out the ankle holster again. Be sure you wear the holster on the inside of the leg that is opposite of your drawing hand. According to Faliaphotography, the ankle holster is comfortable for long-distance driving. IWB and OWB are even better for jeans, she says, but ankle is great for wide-leg jeans.

Full-length dress or skirt – You should wear a thigh holster, right? Wrong. The length of the skirt will impact your draw time with a thigh holster. She has an easy time maneuvering in an ankle holster while wearing a long skirt.

Short jacket – This works best with an inside-the-waistband holster. Tuck your shirt in, and let your jacket drape along the outside.

Boot cut or skinny jeans – When your pants are both tight at the bottom and the top, she suggests you strap on a shoulder holster. She confesses is her least favorite type of holster. Nevertheless it’s a good winter-carry holster with poufy jackets. She recommends OWB holsters (on the waistband) as well for skinny jeans. Just have to wear some type of shirt over top that covers it up like a hoodie, zip-up sweater, vest, jacket or sleeveless vest.

Winter clothes - Even though a shoulder holster can be helpful in the winter, pocket holsters are even better. Why? Because you can just slip it into your winter coat pocket for easy access, she says. “It’s one of my favorite forms of winter carry that I forgot to mention it in my video!!,” she wrote to us in an e-mail. “And, of course, pocket holsters will work in a big cargo pocket in cargo pants.”

Vests – Match darker vests with the shoulder holster, which hides the gun quite well and makes it easily accessible.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
Re: Concealed Carry for Women
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »
Great info for the ladies moosie.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:20:22 PM »
Trust me, every day I spend more time changing outfits trying to find something I can wear, look professional, and still carry. 

Hope this helps to shed some light on this for someone else!!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 10:55:33 PM »
Here is a good web site marketed for women's needs in CCW.

http://www.corneredcat.com/

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County