Author Topic: Anyone approved for a CCW with a DUI on record  (Read 8579 times)

TJM1979

Anyone approved for a CCW with a DUI on record
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:50:16 PM »
So the title says it.  Has anyone with a DUI been approved for a CCW?  I am a PA transfer and have the FL non-resident permit, so I had no previous issues with coming to shop or visit friends in DE and carrying over the state line.  Now I have lived in DE for a couple years and due to what I typically read on the forums have not applied for a CCW because of my past.  I lived in DE from 1984 to 2002 after college, so my references would go back about 20 years total. Truth be told I was arrested twice for DUI and the first was expunged through first offenders, but I still inted to fully disclose my past witht he application.  Both were in PA.  I am not justifying either one and luckily no one was hurt, but it has been several years.  I live near Wilmington and the crime situation has increased in my surrounding areas.  Enough so that I still feel safe in my home, but would feel much better when out in about if my G30 SF could accompany me in my travels. 

I have spoken with a few LEOs I'ver met in the area and they have told me that the bigger issue is why you want the permit and stating your case with the application, that a DUI is not an automatic decline, even multiples.  They seem to thing the bigger issue is a history of violence or drunken disorederly conduct, etc.  I wish I knew a couple of them better so they could be one of my references, but I don't.  I think I am screwed to be honest.  If the housing market didn't suck like it does I would probably just move back out to PA, but not totally possible at this time.   

Therefore I guess the question is, is it worth risking the $200 or so to get the add placed, fingerprints done and submit the application??  If declined has anyone gotten a lawyer to appeal it?  If so, how much do they run? 

Thanks in advance for any input.

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
Re: Anyone approved for a CCW with a DUI on record
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »
      One could reasonably conclude that you do face an uphill struggle.  The more recent the DUI(s), the greater the negative impact on your application. The more distant they are in your past, the stronger becomes your case that they were youthful indiscretions which have not recurred in the past umpteen intervening years.  I would view your FLA Non-Res permit as a point in your favor, particularly if it was issued since your DUIs. Keep in mind that Florida's Yes / No threshold may be significantly different than Delaware's.
       You will have to weigh the pros and cons and decide whether this is something to pursue, or not. Each individual case is different.
"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe

TJM1979

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 12:25:49 PM »
It has been several years and the other permit was granted after the issues.  I am also getting my PA non-resident as I frequenlty travel back there.  I figure havigng that and the FL would not hurt my case.   I am drafting a letter as an attachment speaking to what happened and what I have done since.  I think I will put it in at some point this year.  I really am not concerned with the amount of the money, but still hate to waste my time and funds.  Thankfully I can submit it all without taking the classes.  I don't have a problem with the delay from that and personally don't need the training.  But if approved I have 0 issue with taking whatever is required. I will surely update this when I do and let everyone know how it goes.  I am more aware than anyone that I screwed up, but I am sure I'm not that only one out there with a similar situation. If I submit it and am denied I will be appealing.  I will post whatever my experience is. 

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 11:50:00 AM »
Having a DUI in Delaware is going to probably keep you from getting a CCW. The State looks at it as a level of responsibility and the lack of on your part. Sorry but I would be surprised to see you issued one under the current laws. Delawares Policy is if they can find a reason NOT to issue one then they won't issue it.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

kimmie

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:45:14 PM »
I'm not proud of it but I have one from 30 yrs ago (in VA)  - stupidity/youthful indiscretions and hope my app isn't denied.  I did disclose it though!  I just submitted my app yesterday!   
Retired Navy Vet, Married w/2 kids.  Work in Salisbury MD.

John

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:22:56 PM »
I have an Under age consumption of alcohol charge on my record.  I was 18 (adult) and didn't have any problems with getting my permit.  However, I was 39 last year when I got my permit.  Maybe time is a factor?  Anyhow, Good Luck.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
It probably all depends on how recent they were. I've had two DUIs, the last was in 1994 and had zero trouble getting my ccw. As has been said before, I'm not proud of mine and did learn from those mistakes as I hope you have before you send in your application.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Siludni

• Old-school citizen, Navy Vet, NRA Life, DSSA
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:03:41 AM »
TJM,
      You make reference to applying for a PA non-res LTCF, in order to bolster your prospects of success with DE.
Perhaps you are not aware that you must have a DE CCDW in hand, to qualify for a PA non-res LTCF,
based upon your DE resident status. Also read the PA disqualifiers (one of the pages of the PA app) to help determine your
status there, vis a vis your DUI(s).  Research on line at the County Sheriff's site for most PA counties.
       Again, I see you facing an uphill battle, but other posters suggest that it is not an impossibilty.
       Regards!

"How strange is youth! You are not ashamed to be a fool, but are ashamed to admit having been one, when admitting it will make you a wise man again!"
                                                                                        Daniel Defoe