Author Topic: Knife or no knife...  (Read 10675 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Knife or no knife...
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »
I continue to hear nothing but great things about Benchmade knives with Kershaw being a close second.  I'll give Kershaw a shot. Maybe I'll ask Santa for a Benchmade.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

;D  Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 02:53:44 AM »
New Castle County

Blaserman

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2013, 12:21:51 AM »
I have been carring one since I was 12. all thru Highschool everyone knew I carried.

SteveMiller

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2013, 01:36:02 AM »
I have a lot of knives, but this is one of my favorites

http://www.benchmade.com/products/470-1
Benchmade emissary - EDC

If you want a cheap, but very well made tactical knife it would be the spyderco tenacious
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Please be aware......
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2013, 01:57:59 AM »
Defensive knife usage!

Note that while many people carry a daily knife for general tasks its entirely another thing to use that knife in a defensive situation. While with a firearm you hopefully have time to defend yourself before an attacker can get to you, a knife is only useful while being in very close quarters to ones attacker. If you don't know how to properly handle a knife in a defensive situation the odds are very good that it can be taken away from you resulting in an even worse situation. If your idea is to pull a knife if someone were to grab for your firearm believe me.. the situation just got much more complicated and dangerous.. for you. While knives, batons, slappers, etc are all great defensive weapons, they can all be fairly easy to take away as well.

Please consider taking a personal defense class that includes defensive handling of a knife. There are many rubber training knives that can be utilized for personal training but a class should certainly be looked into. This training knife I've personally used (though I didn't buy it online) and its quite safe for most abilities and ages due to its flexibility while others can be quite a bit more dense.

I'd love to be able to point out a training facility in this area however since I'm fairly new to the area myself I don't know of any. Perhaps someone else does and can add to this thread but maybe add it under the Training Classes section as well.

Just wanted to bring this very important point up. You get training and practice with your firearms however if you even think you might have to draw a knife you better have at least a crash course in its proper use. I know this is off topic however its something that should be said.

Stay safe!

fdegree

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »
I have started a new thread to expand upon what Adrenolin posted:   Knife Defense Training

Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 01:13:57 AM »
I have been carrying a pocket knife for about as long as I can recall. I carry two now. Kershaw compound straight edge strong side. Its my main knife I would use for whatever reason. I also carry a backup knife in the even someone goes for my gun. It is the Gerber ezout I have carried since my rodeo days in the 1990s

I also sell knives and collected them as a hobby. Benchmade are probably the best out there. no one I deal with even gets them. I find for $20 you can.t really beat the Kershaw. I am so used to spring assists I would not know what to do with other knives.

ON a side note I also carry a tactical flashlight. Seems like three things that are important to carry are a gun, knife, and flashlight. Seems all can come in quite handy.

Zero tolerance also are really cool, but I find them WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.

I have a spyderco that has a trophy design on it I won Steer-wrestling, but its too heavy to carry.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"