Author Topic: experience using a concealed handgun  (Read 5648 times)

eliothowell

experience using a concealed handgun
« on: December 01, 2016, 05:35:14 PM »
please post your experience using a concealed handgun for self defense.  issues with police, legal issues, anything that you can share would be beneficial to the forum i am sure.

after seeing some replies, let me clarify.

i am new to DE and just bought my first gun, a Ruger SR22.  i have joined the NRA and the Bridgeville Rifle and Pistol Club.  what i was trying to discover is what happens after the use of a handgun in legitimate self defense action.  I have seen ads for insurance and they attempt to scare you due to legal actions.  they say you would need legal representation etc. they say that you could be arrested and held pending results of investigation etc.
that is what i was trying to find out.  did anyone ever have an actual experience and what happened.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 11:31:15 AM by eliothowell »
eliot

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
Re: experience using a concealed handgun
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 10:18:46 PM »
Hi Eliot.
Perhaps you could introduce yourself nefore asking such a loaded first post.
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 10:43:19 PM »
I agree. Just because we are armed does not mean we trust everyone.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2016, 11:06:12 PM »
Law abiding people post here. We don't have issues with police and you will find police/retired police are members of this forum. I don't know of anyone having legal problems other than trying to obtain a CCDW.

My experience carrying for self defense is uneventful and pray it stays that way. I hope you have the same experience.

"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 12:49:05 AM »
I agree. Just because we are armed does not mean we trust everyone.
I don't even trust my own mother, because I think that she voted "Clinton" three times.  But, that's just me.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »
I think every member who has had an "experience" with a handgun for self defense has posted about it already. Do a search if you are that interested.
Has Eliothowell ever had an experience with a concealed handgun for self defense?
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 01:20:03 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik&feature=youtu.be

Lumspond posted this video on this site. Very informative. If you use the search tab you will find many informative post on this very subject. I especially liked the video from Lumspond.

I don't have insurance but I do keep a lawyers number in my wallet. Others here do have insurance. A personal choice.

It's a long video but worth the time.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 03:12:48 PM »
I have carried in three states since 1991.  I have not had to use my weapon (thank God) and I haven't even come close.  It's a simple matter of not doing brilliant things, starting fights, or going to hazardous locations and staying alert.  You have a great responsibility when you carry.  Your personal situation will have to decide if you want/need insurance. 
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 01:55:04 PM »
I've borrowed this from a member of this forum. "If I was driving a route in which I knew I needed a seat-belt, I wouldn't take that route."
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »
Welcome to Delaware Eliot!
I also belong to the NRA, as I'm sure a large percentage of this forum does. Bridgeville sounds like a great club, and I'm sure there are forum members who'd love to meet you there for a bit of shooting. I am in northern DE, just north of Middletown. Good choice on the Ruger SR22. I don't own one, but shot one owned by a friend. I'd buy one if I didn't STILL (1988) own my Ruger Mark II. After you gain more gun experience (much recommended), are you thinking about getting a carry permit?

Too answer your question, i've been carrying since 2009 and have had zero issues. I have several lawyers phone numbers on my phone, but no special insurance.
Welcome!
New Castle County

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 05:20:43 PM »
It's hard to get a "general feel" of what will happen, because every incident is fact-specific to the events surrounding the incident.  Literally, every single thing involved can change the direction of not only the outcome, but the path to the outcome.  I am not trying to be difficult, but that is just how things work.

And, it used to be that there were three versions of an incident (and not even a firearm-related "incident", but just anything that happened) -- yours, theirs, and the truth.  Now, we have to stick in medi-bias and society's perception.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:28:36 PM by CorBon »
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 07:08:43 PM »
Ccwsafe has a very informative youtube series featuring Don West, a GZ defense lawyer, titled "The Next Fight" which covers the sequence: incident, statements, investigation, inquiry, indictment, and trial.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 04:17:49 PM »
i work in a prison, makes it hard to trust anyone. i'm always keeping my eyes on people, but i've always been that way. welcome to delaware. i'm in sussex county
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »
Ccwsafe has a very informative youtube series featuring Don West, a GZ defense lawyer, titled "The Next Fight" which covers the sequence: incident, statements, investigation, inquiry, indictment, and trial.

CB:  Thank you.  Nice wake-up and reminder call.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

kent

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 12:40:16 PM »
ccwsafe....dual membership (self and wife) with $1,000,000.00 bond costs $279.00 per year which is about $.76 per day. Your covered at home or anywhere you are legally allowed to carry, in or out of state.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY