Author Topic: How i'm going to carry  (Read 5215 times)

FreakShow

• Life Member
How i'm going to carry
« on: November 25, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »
i don't think i will ever find an IWB holster that will be completely comfortable without having to wear bigger pants. So, i'm going to wear an OWB holster and put my shirt down over it. If it prints or even sticks out a bit, who freakin cares. I'm not wearing it to protect someone else, it's for me. If i have a jacket on or my riding vest, then i'll have it inside of that or i'll use my shoulder strap. I have my license now and that's all i need to worry about other than protecting myself. If someone doesn't like he looks of me having a gun on my person, i could give a rats @@@!
I got the fever and the only prescription, is more cowbell

NRA Member

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
Re: How i'm going to carry
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 01:04:34 PM »
This is where the expandable-waistband pants come in handy, which is probably one of the reasons that so many of the Tru-Specs/5.11s/etc. incorporate that aspect into the design.  That way, you can have the legs looking somewhat normal -- but still be able to breathe.

With an IWB, the entire rig can just disappear from view -- and from door frames, display racks, and everything else that seems to be strategically placed to "out the toters" as we careen through places.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 01:01:47 PM by CorBon »
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 01:37:21 PM »
I think people are oblivious to printing for the most part. I may notice because I'm looking for like minded people and since I'm carrying I pay more attention to my surroundings. The only other people are LEO's in my opinion. No trouble there since you are legal. The most important thing is that you carry. Carry OWB riding high and no worries, especially this time of the year.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 03:19:08 PM »
What Holster are you using?  I use Stealthgear and they are very comfortable.  I only had to go up one pants size in order to put my SR9C in my IWB holster. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 07:43:25 PM »
I carry my G43 and my SR9c in owb Fobus paddle holsters. I have no problems with the owb holster.
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 10:34:24 PM »
I have a Vedder holster IWB comfort tuck. Like most hybrids. Carry a 43 at 4:00, makes it easy to sit down and doesn't rub the hip. There  is a little more room in my pants back there, not carrying at 3:00 helped. Tic Tac away from 260lbs so.....
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 02:32:58 AM »
think i'm just gonna get a pancake holster and be done with it. i don't want t be forever in the search for the perfect holster

NRA Member

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2016, 11:37:47 AM »
I agree.   Get the pancake.  Carry high and just cover it. 
The pancake OWB should cover the trigger.  That's important.

Right now I have a Carhardt vest ( long) and I go everywhere and I three plus years have never been "outed". Have carried in five or six other states too.   

It is true that almost no one is looking you over to see if you are carrying.  They are oblivious.

Summer, I like untucked casual shirts that Mrs. "Clarence" likes to buy for me. 

Formal occasions and church: Sport or suit jacket.

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Richie

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 12:09:37 PM »
I agree with Clarence 100%, I also carry using a pancake holster and carry the same as Clarence. Very comfortable and well hidden, easy to get to.

JonathanG

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 09:18:31 PM »
think i'm just gonna get a pancake holster and be done with it. i don't want t be forever in the search for the perfect holster

One thing I'd like to mention is there is no "perfect" holster. I think sometimes people just aren't patient enough to get habituated with things. I initially went with a Crossbreed Supertuck and an IWB Dual Magazine Carrier. I had to send the IWB Mag Carrier back to Crossbreed and exchange it for an OWB Mag Carrier because of the way the weight carried directly over my spinal cord injury site. Once I exchanged that, I have been carrying the same way since. It took about a month or two for me to habituate to the firearm and magazines being on my person and then I tended to almost forget that they are there.

The first couple of weeks carrying, I really thought I'd end up with the proverbial "drawer of holsters," but; I just decided to stick with things until I got used to it. I told myself that if after six months, I wasn't happy with the way things carried, I'd revisit another holster then. Otherwise, I think it is just too easy to keep spending money and hoping for some "holy grail, type of deal and to never be truly satisfied with any option. My wife went with a StealthGear Onyx and their IWB Dual Magazine Carrier and she has been happy with that as well. I don't think either of us consider our set-ups to be "perfect." Honestly, we just decided to be practical and recognize that there was no way that adding a firearm and a couple of magazines, tucked up under our clothes, was going to result in any kind of perfect comfort, immediately forget they are there, situation.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 09:23:08 PM by JonathanG »

Richie

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 11:37:50 AM »
I wanted to add to yesterdays reply. There are times when I find it difficult to conceal, like when not wearing a vest,untuckable shirt or jacket. That's when my sneaky pete holster is used. It just appears as if you are carrying a cell phone,ipad,ect. I have never been questioned as to its use. A nice option th have.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 12:50:47 PM »
I wanted to add to yesterdays reply. There are times when I find it difficult to conceal, like when not wearing a vest,untuckable shirt or jacket. That's when my sneaky pete holster is used. It just appears as if you are carrying a cell phone,ipad,ect. I have never been questioned as to its use. A nice option th have.
Agreed. I have one for my G43. People don't notice it.

For larger firearms, the Safepacker by Wilderness Tactical Products is another excellent choice. I've hugged senators with a Glock 20 and a spare mag on my belt, and I've walked through several "security" situations with it on (Temple graduation, Lewis Black show in Hershey PA, Wilmington cop at the door of the Riverfront movie theater...). To LEO's, it doesn't scream "GUN!!!" like a fanny pack does. To young people, it's just a belt pouch... my kid calls it "the colostomy bag."
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

FreakShow

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 09:37:55 PM »
I agree.   Get the pancake.  Carry high and just cover it. 
The pancake OWB should cover the trigger.  That's important.

Right now I have a Carhardt vest ( long) and I go everywhere and I three plus years have never been "outed". Have carried in five or six other states too.   

It is true that almost no one is looking you over to see if you are carrying.  They are oblivious.

Summer, I like untucked casual shirts that Mrs. "Clarence" likes to buy for me. 

Formal occasions and church: Sport or suit jacket.

yeah, i'm a tee shirt guy, don't do formal to much. Finally found a small enough gun that i will by soon, the springfield xds 3.3. fits nice in my hand, thin and pretty light.  in the winter i usually have on heavy jacket or my harley leather, i can put it on the inside pocket. but the pancake with work good for when i'm riding my bike.

NRA Member