Author Topic: Open Carry  (Read 9399 times)

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Open Carry
« on: May 17, 2013, 09:44:25 PM »
Was told in our class that Open Carry is a right but Concealec Carry is a privilege.  Is this correct and if so why is it illegal to Open Carry in Dover without a CC permit?

It was recommended that we Open Carry to get used to carrying.
Do folks get hassled and what are the ramifications?
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Condition 1

• Life Member
Re: Open Carry
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 10:53:58 PM »
Where on the constitution says open carry is a right?

Bmel17

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:43:18 PM »
www.seloc.org should answer all your questions

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 12:14:55 AM »
www.deloc.org is the DE open carry forum.  The Lotus Enthusiasts at seloc.org are more interested in their sports cars. :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:18:01 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 12:24:48 AM »
www.deloc.org is the DE open carry forum.  The Lotus Enthusiasts at seloc.org are more interested in their sports cars. :)

:D

It would be very interesting to hear what sports cars fans would have to say, at least you would get non-biased answers vs going to an OC site asking what they think of OC.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 12:30:58 AM by Condition 1 »

Bmel17

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:35:31 AM »

i just laughed so hard.  Really needed it too!  lol, yes DELOC was the intended link!

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 01:25:31 AM »
To answer a question about where in the constitution it says open carry is a right

Second amendment is pretty clear to me and should be to anyone who loves freedom and the constitution ( hence the disdain by the obama admin)

Open carry actually seems to almost have the best argument depending on how "bear" is defined.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Bulldog021

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 10:53:05 PM »
Just apply for an open carry permit through the Dover Police Chief. I got mine in about a week and it allows for open carry in Dover
Kent County
USMC Vet.
NRA Member
Sig Sauer MK 25
Colt M45A1
Glock 19
Sig MPX
Beretta M9A3
DE CCDW
PA LTCF

joek

• NRA Life Member, USCG veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 04:38:52 AM »
Open Carry permit?!?   That's a new one for me.

sethinde

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 07:35:34 PM »
there are post from deloc.org that explain the way to get permission from dover to OC there.

http://www.deloc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8233&hilit=jeremiah+black

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 01:51:49 PM »
there are post from deloc.org that explain the way to get permission from dover to OC there.

http://www.deloc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8233&hilit=jeremiah+black

I find this very interesting, I think there are people who have said they wouldn't apply for a CCDW because of "principles" - something about asking permission to carry a gun...and now they are applying for a permit to OC.

IMO, everyone with a gun should have a permit - background check and minimum training. Unfortunately the price for training is prohibitive, it would be nice to see the money spent on buy back programs being used on firearm safety and training.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »
Just apply for an open carry permit through the Dover Police Chief. I got mine in about a week and it allows for open carry in Dover

Same here Bulldog.  I see 2 points that I have to address.  1.  I'm a good guy.  And When I'm in Dover I'm a visitor on his best behavior.  Regardless of principle I want to be a good neighbor first.  If someone asks me to take off my shoes before coming into their house I will comply.  2. I see the Chief's point too.  He will do everything possible to give his cops the best chance of survival and contact control.  I have no problem with this.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 02:18:11 AM »
Not sure I agree with the terminology "right" to open carry, but I think I understand where your instructor was trying to go. As a delaware resident, (correct me if I'm wrong.. only DE citizens can open carry in DE???)  you can open carry a firearm without any type of permit with the exception of certain towns or cities that have special "rules" against it (such as Dover). 

I personally think open carrying to getting used to carrying isn't the best method, but to each their own.  I'd carry concealed in my own home and learn by doing what works and doesnt work for you.  Again, just my .02. 

Read the updates on deloc.org and draw your own conclusion regarding if they get hassled, etc. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »
IANAL but....

I do not think it is for DE residents only.  Since there is no law on the books making it illegal,
it is lawful to do so.

I dont know that I'd CC in my home. Per the letter of the law, you CANNOT w/o a DE permit.
I have yet to find the clause excluding your own property.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
Radnor,

I'd be interested to see the law that makes it such that you can't carry concealed inside your own home without a permit. Seems absolutely ridiculous.

Interesting.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident