CCW Methods & Issues > New CCW Permit Holders

Residency qualification?

(1/6) > >>

ssgt_acft_mech:
Hello all, new guy here!. I'm not new to CCW (been CCW in SD since '04) but I'm going to be relocating to Delaware due to Uncle Sam assigning me there. I'm try to figure out how I fall into the residency picture in DE as in reguards to CCW permits. In S. Dakota, I'm considered a resident even if I have a DL from another state. But as everyone knows, every state has to be special when it comes to any 2A issue. I have emailed the DE AG's office to ask them the same question, and low and behold, they didnt reply just like a typical gov office.

Moosie:
SSgt,

You've got to be a permanent resident of DE.  As far as I know, if you're stationed in DE then you're considered a permanent resident.  If you have a Delaware drivers license and can demonstrate to the AG's office as well as the courts that you're a permanent resident and not intending to just "pass through", then I dont see where it would hang you up. 

As for the AG's office getting back to you, they might, but it will be a while.

Hope this answered your question. 

Moosie

ssgt_acft_mech:
Thanks for the info moosie! I did ask the Q on another site awhile back and was told from "I don't know" to just straight out "no". I'll still be waiting on an answer from the AG's office though. I'm putting in for my FL permit soon since it is my home of record state so I'm thinking I'll go that route too if not both FL & DE

Moosie:
SSgt,

Be careful using an out of state FL permit to CYA while LIVING in DE!  IMO, the reciprocity of various licenses was not meant to be treated as a loop hole while your stationed here, but more for those "traveling through". 

That being said, I dont know that there is anything hard and fast written anywhere that would prevent you from using your FL permit while you're stationed here. 

Just something to chew on. 

Moosie

Sigarms12:
ssgt_acft mech, I cant say I know how the Military handles residence, if anyone would it would be Moosie. But if you are going to apply for a DE drivers Lic then by all means apply for a DE CCW permit. since you will be residing in DE I dont see where there would be an issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version