Author Topic: Burglary at Artemis Outfitters  (Read 7905 times)

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Burglary at Artemis Outfitters
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »
This will increase the number of stolen guns in Wilmington by almost 0.000000000003%.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2016/07/23/four-men-steal-27-handguns-artemis-outfitters/87478868/
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: Burglary at Artemis Outfitters
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 10:56:04 PM »
seems to me.......if the only thing between the guns and the bad guys was glass, he should lose his FFL.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 11:10:55 PM »
seems to me.......if the only thing between the guns and the bad guys was glass, he should lose his FFL.

You might be right.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 02:47:47 AM »
This will increase the number of stolen guns in Wilmington by almost 0.000000000003%.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2016/07/23/four-men-steal-27-handguns-artemis-outfitters/87478868/
I've told you a million times, don't exaggerate!
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:10:08 PM »
And... now we know the rest of the story:
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2016/07/30/guns-stolen-artemis-used-wilmington-shooting/87773176/

Four stolen firearms recovered during an investigation into the shooting were later connected to the Artemis Outfitters burglary, State Police say.
[...]
Beginning Monday, July 25, 2016, search warrants were conducted at each of the boy’s residences and three more handguns were recovered upon searching Banks’ home, said spokesman Maser Cpl. Gary E. Fournier in a press release.

Seven down, 20 to go... oh, wait, make that 19:

Another of the stolen guns was recovered Thursday. Troopers conducted a traffic stop on U.S. 40 near Route 72 in Bear after a Toyota sedan made an abrupt lane change in front of a patrol vehicle, according to Fournier.

A mile from our house. Reminds me to throw another magazine into my center console...

Sinker

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 04:29:05 PM »
Just read that! 
I don't know requirements for FFL/storefronts, is there any more info on whether or not Artemis was in compliance or in any way culpable?

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 10:10:21 PM »
Just read that!  
I don't know requirements for FFL/storefronts, is there any more info on whether or not Artemis was in compliance or in any way culpable?
I'm not sure there is any security "compliance" for an FFL or holder of a Delaware License of Deal in Deadly Weapons, but I'm sure the anti gun crowd will think of something. I would think anyone with an FFL would want to take maximum measures to protect against theft.  I'm sure that their insurance company would require it.

Problem with having a government mandate is that you can be sure that the goal will be to put the small time dealers out of business.  

Chris:  Are there any state or federal rules?
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 10:25:45 PM »
In general, I don't think that this story is getting a lot of liberal publicity because it sort of goes against their main arguments -- which are ALL firearms in the hands of criminals are obtained: thorough the mail; through one of us acting as a straw-purchaser; or through gun shows (or msybe bake) sales.  Research is also out there, obtained by interviewing incarcerated individuals, that the majority of the these firearms are obtained by theft -- often with the actor as the thief, but even as a street-purchaser.

Just like how you don't need a screwdriver when you're hammering in nails, anti-gunners can't be bothered, or even expected, to use such meaningless facts.

Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 10:45:16 PM »
What I can't believe is what lax security the gun store had.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 10:51:45 PM »
What I can't believe is what lax security the gun store had.

Countdown:
Victim of one of these thugs sues the store in 3... 2... 1...

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2016, 12:35:08 AM »
Actually not surprised, often wondered why they didn't have any supplemental barriers. (Like what Chris F has at his house)
Maybe their excuse was that they didn't want to insult the Greenville crowd by putting up bars. Then again, the UPS store next door has a full width roll up aluminum barrier to separate their mail boxes from the rest of the store.

Even worse, no cameras? IP security cameras are dirt cheap these days.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

Federal Firearm

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2016, 01:49:01 AM »
Just read that!  
I'm not sure there is any security "compliance" for an FFL or holder of a Delaware License of Deal in Deadly Weapons, but I'm sure the anti gun crowd will think of something. I would think anyone with an FFL would want to take maximum measures to protect against theft.  I'm sure that their insurance company would require it.

Problem with having a government mandate is that you can be sure that the goal will be to put the small time dealers out of business.  

Chris:  Are there any state or federal rules?

no requirement that i am aware of .....but really...you should know better..

8thFA

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2016, 06:39:41 PM »
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »
We briefly looked into the FFL thing and there is NO set requirements as to the security of the firearms. It more so depends on the location and building. If you can show that the firearms can be reasonably secured by a door and a lock you're good. In a way its sad but at the same time many FFLs wouldn't exist if they needed 3 foot concrete walls reinforced with steel sheet, 5000Lbs vault doors and armed security around the place 24/7. It's no more the fault of any business owner, including FFLs, if someone breaks in and steals their belongings as it is if someone breaks in and takes your belongings from your home.

I agree FFLs should go a bit further then what a regular home owner would do but what exactly constitutes "maximum measures"? Fort Knox, 1st National Bank, concrete bunker with vault door, 2nd floor room with glass windows and a large safe, basement with lockable gated entry?  ;D

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
They did have video and have arrested the burglars.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2016/07/30/guns-stolen-artemis-used-wilmington-shooting/87773176/

Now they need to follow through: every time anyone is injured or killed by one of those stolen firearms, file an additional assault or murder charge against the original thieves who stole the guns.