Author Topic: Some clarification please  (Read 5238 times)

29thInfantry

• Life Member
Some clarification please
« on: December 07, 2015, 05:25:53 AM »
If getting your DE and PA permits cover just about all of the states except for Illonois, Sout carolina, Cali, washinton, NE, MD, NY, NJ, and a few of those other north eastren states that you will never be able to carry in.  Why is is that I am hearing that some instructors are telling people that you need  your FL non resident when florida gives you the same states that PA does?  It looks like SC does not honor any out of state permits at least not from PA or DE.  From what I am getting if you do not have your home state Permit all as in if you loose it or it expires and you do not renew all non resident permits would be invalid anyway.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  I just dont see the point in getting a non resident for FL or AZ unless you plan on going to NE then you would need that non resident AZ permit.  Seems like you are pretty much covered with the Delware resident permit and the PA non resident.  I could be missing something which is why I am posting this.
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Re: Some clarification please
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:59:26 AM »
if your not traveling much, you don't need everything.
  Remember, instructors are salesmen.   
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 01:38:18 PM »
When traveling through states that do not honor DE & PA, best to print and carry a copy of the Federal Firearms Transportation Act with you. Remember you must be traveling THROUGH the state, not making it your destination. Don't expect MD to honor this unless you can prove you are going to VA., PA. or some state that requires you to go THROUGH MD. to get there.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 04:59:28 PM »
Going through MD you also MUST have the ammo and firearm separated is this the same for all states? Just trying to get this correct as a friend I have found out is misinformed about how the transportation laws work.  They keep relying on maps from sites like usacarry and the such.  I told him he needs to check the state site for their laws NOT some website that is for general information. 
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
If I was going to pick up a 3rd state, it would be either UT or AZ.
FL is 112/7yrs and 112/7 yr renewal.  The other 2 are less expensive.

Personally, I have DE, PA, & UT.

KNOW the laws when travelling!!!  Some states, 1st words out
of your mouth must be informing the officer your carrying.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:41:37 PM »
Gun must be locked in case in rear compartment (toolbox in bed of pickup ok) ammo must be in front out of reach of driver, as I read it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 12:48:38 AM »
go here. this may help..

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf

this is 926A
New Castle County

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 12:54:20 AM »
Here is the exact wording of the Firearms Owners Protection Act:  There is no requirement that the ammunition be separate.  Just that the gun is unloaded and the gun and ammo is unaccessible and in the trunk if the vehicle has one.  If a hatchback it must be in a LOCKED container. That tool box must be locked in New York or you are going to jail.  If the ammo is up front you are going to jail in New York City or New Jersey.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:

Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 01:12:44 AM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 01:13:30 PM »
Thats all fine and dandy but states like MD, NJ and NY will and have arrested people for less and following the law. No accountability really on the officer or the DA in pressing BS charges against out of state folks. Traveling through MD with a handgun not locked and in a separate box from the ammo is not safe. I travel to VA every other month and have two lock boxes. Ammo locked in one, handguns locked in the other, boxes are at different sides of the back of the SUV and buried under everything else I take with me.

Also note its not just the firearm laws.. NJ has a BAN on HP ammo! Whenever I go to NJ I make sure to remove the spare mag I leave in the center console.