Author Topic: Reason for Application  (Read 15891 times)

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
Reason for Application
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:02:45 PM »
What would be the best reason to put on the CCW application. I don't know what to say. So ant help would be greatly appreciated.
Gun control is hitting your target

fdegree

Re: Reason for Application
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:52:54 PM »
I have heard, from several sources, that stating personal protection and protection of your family would be insufficient reasoning...they may deny your request, unless you can be very specific about your concerns for personal/family protection.  I agree that the reason should be irrelevant as long as all of the other requirements are met.

This is just what I have heard...I don't have any proof of this.

I used carrying large sums of cash, similar to Moosie, and frequenting unsafe places at night and alone due to my job.  All of which are 100% true.  Don't try to lie your way through.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »
I and most of the people Iknow said the usual 'protection of person, property or both' thing. I had no problems however I heard of one person being denied. I don't know the whole story behind why he was denied nor do I know this person.
I believe this would be sufficient.
I would rather have a NRA member in front of me than a Brady member behind me.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 08:26:02 PM »
I used large amounts of cash and transporting high value items for my job (which is correct) I haven't heard of anybody being denied for using the personal protection reason, but I'm sure somebody has. Mossie, my bet would be that wouldn't be enough by itself but they would probably want to see a order of protection for the person.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 12:07:32 AM »
I used for protection of person and or property and had no problems
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 08:35:19 PM »
Thank you all. I think I will call the ATF and get the kit to get my FFL also.
Gun control is hitting your target

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 09:17:12 PM »
Its about @@@@ time slacker

fdegree

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 02:04:59 AM »
What is involved with getting and maintaining a FFL?

Is it worth it if you don't plan to run a business with it?

Just wondering...I've thought about it, but don't know enough to make an intelligent decision.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »
The best reason is your true reason. Be that self-defense, work, .... I think it is absurd we have to give a reason. I agree 100% with taking the class, background / criminal check, newspaper, BUT, the reason should not matter as you have the right to bear arms.
One note of caution:  over-exaggerating your work-related need may cause some problems, as the State may (read that as “probably will”) contact your employer to verify that need.  And that’s fine, if that’s the real reason – or you want your employer all-up-in-yo-bizness.  Another downside could be that you get a restricted license – with some type of limitation that would allow you only to carry for work-related activities.
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
Fdegree, To get your FFL the ATF requires you to have a store front in order to get it, however my understanding is that if you are a certified gun smith you do not need a store front. I think the big thing they are looking for is that you turn a profit.

Fire44

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 09:49:26 PM »
The best reason is your true reason. Be that self-defense, work, .... I think it is absurd we have to give a reason. I agree 100% with taking the class, background / criminal check, newspaper, BUT, the reason should not matter as you have the right to bear arms.
One note of caution:  over-exaggerating your work-related need may cause some problems, as the State may (read that as “probably will”) contact your employer to verify that need.  And that’s fine, if that’s the real reason – or you want your employer all-up-in-yo-bizness.  Another downside could be that you get a restricted license – with some type of limitation that would allow you only to carry for work-related activities.

I was able to get my employer to sign my application.  I think it helps a little if you can get them to sign.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »
I don't for see any problems for most people

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 01:13:43 AM »
My paper work got turned in Friday... I heard 90 days.  I was psyched, until i looked on the calendar..  @@@@ thats a long time LOL.  I might be another year older by the time it gets here!  Oh well.. whatcha goin to do?
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 05:46:40 PM »
Good luck Moosie, Hopefully you will get your permit before your too old to see the sights at the end of your gun. LOL

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 08:19:51 PM »
Well, my birthday is the end of June, and while it would be a nice birthday present, I hope it gets here before then! LOL

I'm going to be :::::::::::gasp:::::::::::  34!
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident