Author Topic: Home Invasion Scenario  (Read 16713 times)

Moosie

• Life Member
Home Invasion Scenario
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
http://delawareonline.com/article/20090529/NEWS/90529001/Couple+robbed++dog+killed+in+home+invasion

So, from the typical home invasion scenario, none of us would have to worry about this -- i.e., most home invasions are tied to criminal activity on the invadee's part. 

However, Id like to hear about how you and your wife / sig other have planned or discussed to handle such an occurance. We rarely sleep with the windows open anymore, we never let our dogs out of our sight (bulldogs have a very high theft rate), etc.  I'm still trying to figure out where to place all my "toys" in the house without seeming to be 100% paranoid LOL. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: Home Invasion Scenario
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 04:47:09 PM »
It does not matter what kind of plan you have, when you wake up with the guns already pointing at you, everything changes.  I would be interested to know what kind of dog that was.  Anything moves in my yard and my dog lets me know.  I do have weapons on both floors of my house but it is not on purpose. My son lives on the first floor and he has a Mossberg 500a and a Springfield Armory 1911.  We have discussed what to do if someone is in the house so that we do not meet on the steps and surprise each other.  We also have code or "safe" words to use in such a situation. 

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:19:42 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out where to place all my "toys" in the house without seeming to be 100% paranoid LOL. 
Paranoid?  I've never heard that word before.  Anyway, right now I have to go move a thousand rounds of .308 out of the dryer so that I can finish the laundry, and then I have to take off the three holsters that I am currently wearing and switch them to nylon.  I really hate getting my gunleather wet while I am taking a shower.  It's really nice to be able to hook my soap-on-a-rope to the shoulder holster, though! 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
ROFL Corbon!!
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 12:05:49 AM »
Moosie to answer your question most of the time when I'm home I'm carrying and at night I keep my P250 in the nightstand in a quick release gun safe with a flash light. I strongly recommend everyone to keep a light with their home defense weapon and to train with it in low light scenarios. You don't want to shoot a family member in the middle of the night by accident.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 01:06:52 AM »
I do have a flashlight kept with my firearm for during the night.  I need to practice with it again as it's been several years since I've trained with it!  But great reminder, Sig.

My step children (only potential people coming through the door after we've gone to bed) have both been warned. Of course, I wouldn't shoot first and ask questions later, but I'm still wondering how quickly I could get to my SW during the night if I heard a noise.  Im a light sleeper to begin with, but still. 

Without my permit, I havent been carrying around the house yet.  My permit should be here the end of June.  I guess I should start getting comfortable with things -- inside my home at least! 

Thanks for your responses. Hopefully I'll never have to know if I can get to my SW during the night!

Moosie

Taurus221

• NRA member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 02:36:10 AM »
You don't want to shoot a family member in the middle of the night by accident.
Uhhhhhh....  ummmmmmm...... ohhhh..ummmmmm You.... ummmmmm sure about that??? I mean wood chippers and all??? Your call man...          SATAN!!! Is that you???
I would rather have a NRA member in front of me than a Brady member behind me.

gun nut

• Life Member
  • this is my rifle and here is a pistol....
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 02:14:21 AM »
Paranoid is what anti-gun people call us. We call it being prepared. And Taurus221 you want to wash the chipper with a lot of bleach. So I hear.
Gun control is hitting your target

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 12:40:30 PM »
He also needs a pressure washer and a few good friends to help.

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »
He also needs a pressure washer and a few good friends to help.
Remember -- friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.   
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 04:10:05 PM »
Without my permit, I havent been carrying around the house yet.  My permit should be here the end of June.  I guess I should start getting comfortable with things -- inside my home at least! 
It's a great idea to start getting the feel of moving about with the weapon while in the privacy of your own home.  Getting past the "I gotta touch it to make sure that it is still there,"
and the "every time I reach for a can of peas the @@@@ thing is hangin' out" are two biggies.  Also, public toilets. 

I have simply NEVER seen anything written about carrying a gun and using a public toilet.

But, getting an idea about how easy the thing becomes exposed, either via printing, clothes hanging up on it, or simply having the clothes up up over it -- are only learned through experience.

And don't forget the public toilet thing.     

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 06:04:18 PM »
Going the bathroom in public is very simple just remove it holster and all and set it in your pants, it will stay hidden and you have full control over it at all times.

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »
Hey moosie send us some pics and we maybe able to help you find a place for your holster. ;)

CorBon

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 11:51:46 PM »
Well, thankfully most women I know won't pee out in public with everyone standing around pretending like nothing is going on like you men do!  I get to go in and close the door and pee in private! :) 

Funny... last night I was at a pool party where everyone was fairly skimpily dressed and I started to think about what I wear during the summer, etc. 

Well, I was actually referring to the "in the stall scenario" where belt holsters can be slightly problematic.  It either involves removing it entirely (as Sig suggested) or learning how to roll the rig into your pants.

And, as far as what to wear, well, sometimes you gotta make a choice: safe or sexy.  When it's 105 degrees outside, I can be normally be found with an overabundance of clothing on.  Of course, no one has ever said that my hairy-assed legs really looked that good anyway. 

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 12:02:42 AM »
What ever you do don't shoot the toilet.   ;D