Author Topic: Starbucks changes direction on Open Carry in their shops  (Read 7910 times)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Starbucks changes direction on Open Carry in their shops
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »
Starbucks has announced that their welcome to Open Carry customers has been recinded. It was a big deal and got a lot of attention and an influx of customers when it was known they welcomed Open Carry in their "coffee" shops. Now they have put the ship in reverse and said Open Carry is not allowed in their shops or outside seating areas, even in states like Delaware that is a Open Carry legal state.

So, all you people that flocked there a while back carrying are no longer welcome.

Sounds like Bloomberg may be involved???????

I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

ESPMan

Re: Starbucks changes direction on Open Carry in their shops
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:52:02 AM »
I don't go to starbucks so it doesn't really upset me either way, but there will come a point when they are sorry.
The greatest threat to any society is its ignorance and inaction towards the evil that dwells within it.

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 12:56:36 AM »
I thought I saw the interview on the tv earlier, I believe he said they would not ask anyone to leave, they just discourage the practice.  It sounds like they are trying to stay neutral and keep both sides happy.  I've carried there in the past and I will continue to do so.  My weapon is always concealed so it wouldn't matter anyway.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:14:31 AM »
I thought I saw the interview on the tv earlier, I believe he said they would not ask anyone to leave, they just discourage the practice.  It sounds like they are trying to stay neutral and keep both sides happy.  I've carried there in the past and I will continue to do so.  My weapon is always concealed so it wouldn't matter anyway.

This.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

joek

• NRA Life Member, USCG veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 03:12:52 AM »
Wawa and Dunkin Doughnuts better not join them.   I'll have to go out and buy a coffee pot!

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 03:45:58 AM »
Wawa and Dunkin Doughnuts better not join them.   I'll have to go out and buy a coffee pot!

Just think of the savings though for more ammo and guns! Oops maybe this backfired on the anti-gunners  ::)

ohh and with your new coffee pot you could upgrade to imported Tim Hortons coffee .. Canada's primary coffee  ;D

I've never been a fan of Starbucks or DD coffee and never had the Wawa coffee.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 12:24:40 PM »
If you are looking for coffee try here. http://www.coffeeam.com/
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »
Nooo...   (Radnor, you'll have to kick me under the table later) if you want coffee, please visit Lock N Load Java.  (http://www.locknloadjava.com/). They are veteran owned, they support the troops but on top of it all, they have YUMMY coffee!! 

I have some I will gladly brew and share if I must.  :) 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 09:29:00 AM »
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 07:09:21 AM »
Thumbs up, TK.

However, I'm still a Starbucks fan. Obviously, I support the 2A. I'm not a fan of OC, however, it's within the law and the rights of delawareans to do so. I dont recall hearing or seeing any kind of ludicrous displays of support at delaware starbucks in Feb of 2012 or 2013. When I look at pics of other starbucks where those who felt it necessary to shove it in the face and down the throats of everyone who came into starbucks by carrying long rifles, hand guns, etc.. all the while claiming "2A"..  well, that forced Starbucks to ask that open carry isn't done on its property.  My understanding is that Starbucks has not banned or even asked that all firearms not come in their stores. They simply asked that OC is not done. 

The OC crowds that so brazenly displayed what was in my opinion, poor taste and poor judgement..  well, they're who we have to thank for starbucks feeling so pressed, that they put out the message that OC is no longer welcome. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Bmel17

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 09:25:53 AM »
Actually they did ask that "weapons" not be brought into their stores.  They did not say CC was ok. 

If they asked those shameful gays to leave their gayness at the door in starbucks.  Don't want them queering the place up. We would say they are anti-g ay. Starbucks has taken an anti-gun stance by telling gun owners you're not welcome to bring your gun into starbucks.  They are trying to straddle the line by decrying guns to appease the antis, but to say we won't kick gun owners out to hopefully not alienate gun owners.  We don't want your guns, but we won't refuse your money in other words.  That is pretty anti to me.

So moosie, you blame the OC guys for expressing their rights.  Blaming others in the gun community for expressing their rights is akin to the antis blaming a gun EVERY time there is a mass shooting and then blaming gun owners as a whole for the gun bans/restrictions.  2A "supporters" are so fractioned, we aren't going to have a chance in the coming years of anti-gun legislation.  We should be all in for the 2a, not just supportive of certain provisions of it.  Rights should be expanded on, not restricted. 

The carrying of long rifles by a few at these "appreciation" days were so few and far between that I refuse to believe it was the reason crapbucks took this position.  It was the fact that gun owners were rallying behind them and were gaining momentum.  The antis were scared and complained and then complained some more.  They hit them in the pockets just like we all should now and not patronize crapbucks any longer. 

That being said, since they took an anti-gun stance, I will not patronize crapbucks.

JOET

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »
The only thing that StarBucks should get is one of these cards

http://www.learntocarry.com/nogunsnomoney/
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 11:21:23 PM »
Thankfully there are still resturants you can go to and get coffee with a meal and they keep your cup full. At Starbucks, a cup of coffee cost as much as a small meal. No thanks.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 01:58:19 AM »
So moosie, you blame the OC guys for expressing their rights.  Blaming others in the gun community for expressing their rights is akin to the antis blaming a gun EVERY time there is a mass shooting and then blaming gun owners as a whole for the gun bans/restrictions.  2A "supporters" are so fractioned, we aren't going to have a chance in the coming years of anti-gun legislation.  We should be all in for the 2a, not just supportive of certain provisions of it.  Rights should be expanded on, not restricted. 

The carrying of long rifles by a few at these "appreciation" days were so few and far between that I refuse to believe it was the reason crapbucks took this position.  It was the fact that gun owners were rallying behind them and were gaining momentum.  The antis were scared and complained and then complained some more.  They hit them in the pockets just like we all should now and not patronize crapbucks any longer. 

First, let me back up..  I went and read the open letter directly.. my apologies that I had read an article which noted certain parts of his letter. You're correct, he does ask that no firearms be brought into / onto Starbucks property. He didn't ban them. As his letter addresses, yes, it WAS the OC folks (obviously not every single OC'er) that created an issue and they abused the 'Customer Appreciation Day' and made it their own personal political event.  I don't have to tell you how pro 2A I am. However, when individuals go above and beyond to display firearms in a manner that I find to be confrontational, THAT is not helping anyone who wants to see the 2A supported and expanded.  Were they within their rights to open carry?  yes. Did they do so in a manner that would invite those who aren't on our side to support the 2A? No. Not at all.  I don't OC nor will I ever. However, I DO support OC for others...  but like any person who is going to carry a firearm, I think that it should be done so in a responsible manner. I would LOVE to see the 2A become supported country wide and have a firearm in every household...   however, waving guns around simply because we're "allowed" to makes it harder to those who do not currently support our constitutional right to wrap their head around our stance / argument for the 2A. 

I'll still carry in Starbucks.. why? Because it's not an outright ban. It's not against the law (yet).

Moosie

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 02:15:16 AM »

First, let me back up..  I went and read the open letter directly.. my apologies that I had read an article which noted certain parts of his letter. You're correct, he does ask that no firearms be brought into / onto Starbucks property. He didn't ban them. As his letter addresses, yes, it WAS the OC folks (obviously not every single OC'er) that created an issue and they abused the 'Customer Appreciation Day' and made it their own personal political event.  I don't have to tell you how pro 2A I am. However, when individuals go above and beyond to display firearms in a manner that I find to be confrontational, THAT is not helping anyone who wants to see the 2A supported and expanded.  Were they within their rights to open carry?  yes. Did they do so in a manner that would invite those who aren't on our side to support the 2A? No. Not at all.  I don't OC nor will I ever. However, I DO support OC for others...  but like any person who is going to carry a firearm, I think that it should be done so in a responsible manner. I would LOVE to see the 2A become supported country wide and have a firearm in every household...   however, waving guns around simply because we're "allowed" to makes it harder to those who do not currently support our constitutional right to wrap their head around our stance / argument for the 2A. 

I'll still carry in Starbucks.. why? Because it's not an outright ban. It's not against the law (yet).

Moosie

Amen.
We need to remember how convenient it is to live in a state with very few restrictions on where we can carry, partly because "No Guns" signs and corporate policies do not have force of law. We can carry in movie theaters, malls, Starbucks, churches, polling places, bars...
Let's keep it that way.

We're better off when we fly under the radar. That does not include carrying openly, which is and should remain legal... but is not necessarily a good idea. If not for the "Starbucks Appreciation Day" publicity, that open letter would never have been written.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon