Author Topic: Chipotle: Don’t bring guns in our stores  (Read 7272 times)

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
Chipotle: Don’t bring guns in our stores
« on: May 20, 2014, 01:47:43 AM »

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-news/20140519-chipotle-dont-bring-guns-in-our-stores.ece
By CANDICE CHOIThe Associated Press
Published: 19 May 2014 06:20 PM
Updated: 19 May 2014 07:36 PM
NEW YORK  — Chipotle is asking customers not to bring firearms into its stores after it says gun rights advocates brought military-style assault rifles into one of its Dallas-area restaurants.
The Denver-based company notes that it has traditionally complied with local laws regarding open and concealed firearms.
But in a statement Monday, the company said that “the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers.”
The announcement came after a petition by Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, which has called on other companies to ban firearms in their stores as well. The group said its petition was in reaction to open-carry gun activists appearing at the Chipotle in Dallas' West End over the weekend.
Erika Soto Lamb, a spokeswoman for the group, said she thought the move by Chipotle was a “bold statement,” especially considering its previous stance of complying with local laws.
Many states allow people to carry licensed guns in some way, but some businesses exercise their right to ban firearms.
A Chipotle spokesman didn’t immediately respond when asked if the company’s request was an outright ban, or how it would respond if people continued to bring firearms into its restaurants.
Last year, Starbucks Corp. also told customers that guns were no longer welcome in its cafes after it had to temporarily close a store in Newtown, Conn., to avoid a demonstration by gun rights advocates. The company said it shut down the store out of respect for the community, where 20 schoolchildren and six educators had been slain.
The Seattle-based coffee chain stopped short of a ban, however, saying it didn’t want to put its workers in the position of having to ask people carrying guns to leave its stores. Its carefully worded decision also underscored how major companies need to walk a fine line on highly divisive political issues.
Likewise, Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. noted in its statement that “there are strong arguments on both sides of this issue.” It said it hoped that customers who oppose carrying guns in public agree that “it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area.”
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
Re: Chipotle: Don’t bring guns in our stores
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »
That's convenient: they have three restaurants in Delaware that I won't be visiting. Saves time and money.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
It doesn't sound like they are banning firearms, just asking for you not to bring them in.  They want it both ways.  Seemingly appeasing the gun grabbers while being able to claim they are not banning firearms.  I don't go there anyway.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »
This was the point Old Gray was trying to make a while back regarding Starbucks. These folks forced the issue by showing up with AR15's. After a display like that, I don't blame the company. I don't eat there, but if I did, I'd still conceal carry.
New Castle County

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 10:29:44 PM »
This was the point Old Gray was trying to make a while back regarding Starbucks. These folks forced the issue by showing up with AR15's. After a display like that, I don't blame the company. I don't eat there, but if I did, I'd still conceal carry.

I carry concealed, and I am sure the company has no problems with that. If it was my company I would do the same thing - concealed carry only.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 11:16:28 PM by Condition 1 »

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 10:40:16 PM »
I agree with Condition 1.  I don't think they want to loose any business.  I don't like their food so no problem there.  But if I walked into any restaurant and idiots with long guns came marching in I would have to vacate.  If they are insensitive enough to do that then I have to wonder about their safety habits.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:21:26 AM »
I agree with Condition 1.  I don't think they want to loose any business.  I don't like their food so no problem there.  But if I walked into any restaurant and idiots with long guns came marching in I would have to vacate.  If they are insensitive enough to do that then I have to wonder about their safety habits.
I agree.  The AR-15 display doesn't appear to be intended to make people comfortable with the 2nd Amendment but rather to intimidate. This won't change my dining habits: these two oafs put Chipotle in a tough spot and set back the 2A movement. However, if the chain continues to down the gun-ban path then sayonara.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 01:35:52 AM »
I only ate there once, need to start patronizing more now.

ThePixelated

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 01:52:29 AM »
Concealed is concealed. That's what I do. I don't open carry. So I will continue to go there...

ThePixelated

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:05:08 PM »
Here's an update I just found out about...

Chipotle To Customer: “Not A Ban” On Guns

Also view this video..

They never banned guns... They just want the crazy, over-reacting, over-exagerating mothers off their back. They just requested that people don't open carry rifles in their restaurants... It doesn't bother me. Now, if a company does ban guns from your establishment, like Buffalo Wild Wings, they can sit & spin.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:07:00 PM by ThePixelated »

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 03:36:28 AM »
... Now, if a company does ban guns from your establishment, like Buffalo Wild Wings, they can sit & spin.

I know the owner of the Delaware Buffalo Wild Wings franchise. The anti-gun policy is for company-owned stores only.  The local owner says "feel free to carry if you are legal". 
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

ThePixelated

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 11:55:52 PM »
I know the owner of the Delaware Buffalo Wild Wings franchise. The anti-gun policy is for company-owned stores only.  The local owner says "feel free to carry if you are legal". 

Quite interesting...