Author Topic: Walmart to stop selling guns.  (Read 11204 times)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Walmart to stop selling guns.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 10:55:50 PM »
I was in Milford Walmart at about 3:00 PM today and the gun cases were bare. Still some ammo like shotgun shells and a few cartridges. Nothing I could use. I was going to question the person in that dept. but couldn't find anybody. Of course there isn't anything but guns and ammo that can't be taken through the front checkout registers. If I had seen the Store Manager I would have questioned her, but didn't see her either. Anybody got any firsthand status on Camden Walmart?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 10:59:59 PM by SturmRugerSR9 »
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

robberbaron

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 12:23:24 AM »
I have checked WalMarts in Kennett Square, Aston, King of Prussia and Prices Corner off and on for the last 4 months. Of the more than 20 stops, I was only able to purchase 6 boxes of ammo. I won't bother anymore and will go to local shops instead.

Hootbro

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 12:28:48 AM »
I have checked WalMarts in Kennett Square, Aston, King of Prussia and Prices Corner off and on for the last 4 months. Of the more than 20 stops, I was only able to purchase 6 boxes of ammo. I won't bother anymore and will go to local shops instead.

It's all about timing. Unfortunately, never know what they get in or when it hits the shelves.

Me and the wife hit the Elkton, MD Wal-Mart every Sunday morning for our weekly shopping. Most times it is bare unless you want some obscure rifle magnum caliber but I have scored the occasional 9mm and 7.62x39 purchase. Of course I am not desperate and local shop price is not to my liking most times.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 12:50:17 AM »
There are a few things we buy at Wal-Mart because their price is so incredibly low, like generic Alka-Seltzer Cold and... well, that's about it.
Whenever I am tempted to buy something else there, I remind myself that they keep their prices low by underpaying and gouging workers at every level -- from Pakistani clothing plants, to American truckers, to the aisles of the New Castle store. Their business model involves undercutting all local competition, then closing underperforming stores and consolidating to better & larger markets after the local economy dies. (Been to beautiful downtown Pennsville lately)?

Also, face it: we have guns, so we're supposed to avoid trouble. The most dangerous place most of us might visit is the parking lot of a Wal-Mart, so maybe We Just Should NOT Be There.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Hootbro

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 12:54:16 AM »
There are a few things we buy at Wal-Mart because their price is so incredibly low, like generic Alka-Seltzer Cold and... well, that's about it.
Whenever I am tempted to buy something else there, I remind myself that they keep their prices low by underpaying and gouging workers at every level -- from Pakistani clothing plants, to American truckers, to the aisles of the New Castle store. Their business model involves undercutting all local competition, then closing underperforming stores and consolidating to better & larger markets after the local economy dies. (Been to beautiful downtown Pennsville lately)?

Also, face it: we have guns, so we're supposed to avoid trouble. The most dangerous place most of us might visit is the parking lot of a Wal-Mart, so maybe We Just Should NOT Be There.

Talking out of both sides of your mouth on that statement. Wal-Mart is good for you on a few things because they are so cheap, but then they are evil for everything else and we should avoid them?

Sorry, but I will continue to get my butt wipe paper and other incidentals from there. Besides, what other local business am I suppose to over pay for greater service at? K-Mart's around here are not winning any awards either. Matter of fact, popped into a Wal-Mart at lunch today as I needed to get some transmission fluid and a birthday card, kinda nice to not make two trips to two separate stores.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 12:59:16 AM by Hootbro »

Trapper

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 01:14:07 AM »
I worked at the Walmart distribution center for 3 years part time hours at 24 hrs a week (my choice, it was for extra cash) most guys worked over 40) and made $20 an hour with quarterly bonuses just like everyone else there. I also had great benefits, better than what the state of Delaware provides. So I can at least say that I wasn't gouged or whatever... I can't speak for everyone
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:16:32 AM by Trapper »
Esophageal Atresia Awareness

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2013, 01:24:19 AM »
There was an hour special on Walmart's business practices a few years ago. An example I remember is Huffy bicycles. Walmart is the largest seller of bicycles in the country. In order for Huffy to sell at Walmart, they were forced to sell at the price Walmart insisted upon. They had a choice of saying no to Walmart and losing a ton of sales, or moving production to Malaysia to lower costs in order to still make a profit. So you get a inexpensive bike, and Americans lose jobs. Simplified statement, I know.
New Castle County

Hootbro

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2013, 01:26:41 AM »
I worked at the Walmart distribution center for 3 years part time hours at 24 hrs a week (my choice, it was for extra cash) most guys worked over 40) and made $20 an hour with quarterly bonuses just like everyone else there. I also had great benefits, better than what the state of Delaware provides. So I can at least say that I wasn't gouged or whatever... I can't speak for everyone

Same here back in High School close to 30 years ago. Wage was decent even back then but you worked. Did not recall it being a slave camp like some  like to portray it.

It is still one of the few companies you can go in starting at the bottom and work up to high level management. You just have to actually work for it.

Hootbro

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2013, 01:31:13 AM »
There was an hour special on Walmart's business practices a few years ago. An example I remember is Huffy bicycles. Walmart is the largest seller of bicycles in the country. In order for Huffy to sell at Walmart, they were forced to sell at the price Walmart insisted upon. They had a choice of saying no to Walmart and losing a ton of sales, or moving production to Malaysia to lower costs in order to still make a profit. So you get a inexpensive bike, and Americans lose jobs. Simplified statement, I know.

Problem is that those business like Huffy put all their eggs in the Wal-Mart basket and let them do the driving. Some have learned and pushed back. An example would be Snapper mowers. Wal-Mart pushed them and Snapper basically told them that they were not willing to cheapen the product and Wal-Mart cut them off. Then fast forward a year or two later with Wal-Mart wanting to go more upscale on their mower offerings and they brought Snapper mowers back in under more favorable terms to Snapper.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 05:31:34 PM »
I just came back from the Camden Wal-mart and while I was there, I went over to check out the Sporting Goods Dept. Almost no ammo, except shotgun shells. Only 4 guns(muzzle loaders) in the cabinets. I waited until the clerk was done with customers and approached her with my questions. I asked her if it was true Walmart was going out of the firearms and ammo business. She said they would no longer be carrying any Rifles or Shotguns. They would only carry Muzzle Loaders. They would be carrying ammo as they could get it, which was seldom. The only this I saw was 22 shorts, 2 boxes.
Now here's the real deal. I asked her if Bloomberg had gotten to Wal-mart, and she said she thought so, with a discusted tone in her voice. I could tell she did not go along with that policy. She said another thing that cause the change was that under the new laws, they would have to do FFL transfers for anybody that walked in the place, even if they didn't buy a gun there. The Wal-mart Corp. decided that they were not going to go there. She said she suggested to her boss that they make the fee for transfer really high, so people would not come there for transfers, but could still sell firearms. He told her that that was not workable because the fees are set by law.

So, there you are folks. Wal-mart is out of the firearms business. Period. They aren't going to sell guns and can't get ammo, end of story. Right from the horses mouth.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2013, 08:42:57 PM »
I remember reading the bills and saying that forcing FFLs into doing transfers and having a set price would drive some retail stores to stop selling firearms. There you go. I know at least 1 LGS that's not happy with it also as they didn't like doing transfers at all and charged an arm and 2 legs to do them. I don't agree with these type of laws over businesses.

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
This what the Democrats, and liberals wanted, less gun sales. How will you vote next election?