Author Topic: Markell's Proposals for Gun 'Control'  (Read 19549 times)

Kimber HD

Markell's Proposals for Gun 'Control'
« on: January 14, 2013, 02:56:32 PM »
From http://www.delawareonline.com/viewart/20130114/NEWS/130114014/State-officials-announce-gun-legislation

"The proposal to end the so-called gun show Loophole is one of several announced by state officials this morning, a month after the massacre at an elementary school in Connecticut. Other proposals include banning military-style, assault-type weapons and ammunition clips holding more than five rounds for rifles and 10 rounds for handguns. Officials also are proposing a ban on guns within 1,000 feet of schools and mandatory reporting of lost and stolen firearms. Attorney General Beau Biden appeared with Markell along with Lt. Gov. Matt Denn. Biden said the proposed ban on assault-type weapons likely will generate the most intense debate in the legislature, but that he believes it is consistent with the Second Amendment right to bear arms."

Notice nothing about mental health, or personal responsibility.

Also -
  Last I checked, it was illegal to bring a gun into a school in Conn.   Maybe if there was a 1,000' ban there, it would have been a different outcome.....right.

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
Re: pending legislation
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:36:40 PM »
Something I believe needs to be addressed, and is not, is how do we get the truth about guns and gun owners out to the public? We all see the facts about guns, gun owners, and crime stastics on our pro-gun web sites and other sources, but not in the biased press or television,where they present their "facts". Since these are the sources most people use to get "the news', and we know how lies, half truths, fact ommission, and distortions are what the left-wing media feeds the public, what sort of media can we use to tell people the truth, to counter act the current media? Facts we know, such as: the Connecticutt school shooter used four pistols, not an AR http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50208495#50208495, that guns are way down the list of things that kill people phttp://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50208495#50208495,  and all the other facts the press and media would not allow us to present to the people. How can we disseminate the truth, and do it very soon? With the current anti-gun feeding frenzy spreading across this country, and with the current climate since Connecticutt, and with the antigun lobby pressing very hard against our state and local legislatures, we need to have a way to counteract all the B.S. with the truth, a way which can reach every person.

kathy1

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »
frank, in my career I was media relations manager for a fortune 500 company and worked with the media all across North America.  What needs to be done is this:  You need to select a 'spokesperson' who represents the responsible gun owner.  A media blitz needs to be set up where said spokesperson gets on all of the critical news platforms--Good Morning America, Nightline, all local news channels, (all national talk shows) etc.  The critical point here is 'blitz.'  It cannot be a hit n miss type of effort.  Said spokesperson needs to be armed with all critical data, true stories where guns saved lives, etc. Need to be media savvy and able to handle confrontation in an amicable manner.  The NRA seems to be a likely candidate and I don't know why they don't have people out there actively pursuing media interviews!!!!!  If the spokesperson is likeable, credible, media savvy and people are drawn to him/her, you would start to see a significant shift in public opinion.  Just my thoughts.

Thlax

Re: Markell's Proposals for Gun 'Control'
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:48:02 PM »
I just saw this and spat my lunch out. This is BS. I am praying my Daniel Defense ships this week as planned.

Terrible news. Terrible work by our government. It's like when a kid does poorly in school and the solution by the parents is to just transfer the student to a new school. They don't look into why the student had problems in school. Terrible job. Very disappointed to read this article. 

eclipse

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:51:17 PM »
It looks like they edited the origional article.  It origionally said they want to limit number of rounds in a rifle to 5 rounds and 10 for handguns.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:44 PM »
I have been saying this for years and not just about guns. Facts be damned, the liberals prey on emotions so trying to argue logic will not work. 

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »
So we now live in California? Does Markell have to get this through general assembly or just sign it into law? Either way, we have all democrat "leaders". 10 rounds mags for your handgun and 5 round clips for your rifle. The article hasn't changed. S I'm supposed to run out and buy 10 round mags for my pistols? What a joke.
New Castle County

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:58 PM »
Some of your colleagues will be opposed to what we’re trying to do,” Schwartzkopf said. “It doesn’t make any sense to me. We dress you up, we train you, we put you in a bullet proof vest to protect your life. Then we’re going to allow the bad guys to have better weapons than you guys? It makes no sense

What do all of you make of this paragraph?
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:15:37 PM »
With the dems controlling both houses, I suspect his proposals will fly.  I feel confident that all criminals will turn in their AR's. multiround clips, etc, so we can all breath easier.

Wether we can prevail depends on how loudly we can reach the dems that still believe in the Second Amendment, the federal and the state one.  A strong showing on 1 /20, with media coverage would help.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:10:32 PM »
A strong showing on 1 /20, with media coverage would help.
I plan on going.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:07 PM »
+2 here for 1/20. So if the mag limits happen do you think current owners will still be able to use them? I'm talking about carry pistols and our ARs for range or on personal property. I suppose I could get used to 10rnd mags in the AR but 5!!! Sigh. And on topic for CC.. I'd hate to have to limit my PPQ 15-rnd mags to 10.

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 11:40:27 PM »
http://news.delaware.gov/2013/01/14/governor-markell-lt-gov-denn-ag-biden-join-forces-to-unveil-responsible-gun-safety-proposals/

"[...]
The proposals are as follows:

1. Requiring Background Checks for Private Firearm Sales: Under existing law, when the sale or transfer of a firearm involves a licensed dealer, a background check must be performed.  But when the sale or transfer does not involve a licensed dealer, and occurs between private buyers, no check is required.  Because approximately 40% of all firearms nationwide are acquired from unlicensed sellers, this is an enormous Loophole—one in which convicted felons, minors and other prohibited purchasers can readily avoid background checks and easily acquire guns. This bill would require that licensed dealers perform background checks in connection with the sale or transfer of all firearms, including sales between private buyers, except for transfers involving immediate family (parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, sibling or spouse).  The background check requirement would not apply to the sale or transfer of shotguns, as no such check is required under current law for licensed dealers.

2.  Requiring the Reporting of Lost and Stolen Firearms:  There are two primary public safety benefits to requiring the reporting of lost and stolen firearms.  First, it discourages straw purchases and deters gun trafficking.  When a gun is found at a crime scene and later traced back to the original owner, the owner may falsely claim that a gun was lost or stolen in order to hide his involvement in trafficking or straw purchasing.  A mandatory reporting requirement provides law enforcement notice of suspicious patterns of behavior by persons who repeatedly fail to file reports yet claim that their guns were lost or stolen after the guns were recovered from a crime scene. And second, it helps prevent unwarranted criminal accusations against owners whose guns have been lost or stolen.  This bill would require individuals report a lost or stolen firearm within 48 hours of discovery.  Individuals would file a report with either the police agency having jurisdiction over the location where the loss or theft occurred, or any Delaware State Police Troop.

3. Banning the Sale, Manufacture, Delivery and Unlawful Possession of Large-Capacity Magazines: According to the Citizens Crime Commission of New York, 30 mass shootings (with four or more victims killed) occurred in the United States from 1982 through 2012.  Although the circumstances of such mass shootings varied, each incident had one thing in common: they all involved one or more large-capacity ammunition magazines.  This bill would prohibit the manufacture, sale, purchase, transfer or delivery of large-capacity magazines.  Large-capacity magazines are defined as magazines having the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds for any handgun and more than 5 rounds for any rifle or shotgun.  Acknowledging that thousands of law-abiding Delawareans currently possess large-capacity magazines lawfully, the bill would make such possession unlawful only if it occurs (1) in a public place (which would include highways, schools, parks, restaurants, bars, and similar locations), and (2) within 20 feet of a firearm capable of accepting such magazine.  The bill would exempt certain shooting ranges from the definition of “public place,” so that the possession and use of large-capacity magazines at such ranges would not be prohibited.

4.  Banning the Manufacture, Sale, Delivery and Unlawful Possession of Military Weapons: The sale of military-style assault weapons – firearms that are made for the battlefield and have no place in our communities – was outlawed in 1994, but the ban expired a decade later.  One such weapon – the Bushmaster AR-15 – was used in the Newtown shootings and also in the murders of two firefighters in Webster, NY, on Christmas Eve last year. This bill would prohibit the manufacture, sale and delivery of these military weapons, while allowing the continued possession and use under certain circumstances of weapons purchased prior to the effective date of the ban.

5.  Banning Possession of a Firearm Within 1,000 Feet of a School: This bill will help to ensure the safety of children in our schools.  By outlawing possession of a firearm in close proximity to school, we will enable law enforcement to interdict those individuals who knowingly possess firearms and do so in near school buildings and school yards. The purpose of this law is to create safe school zones, where children are secure, where parents can have peace of mind that upon leaving them in the morning, they will not be subjected to gun violence, and where teachers can go about their important task of educating our youth without fear of violence.  This is not intended to restrict the right of law abiding citizens to own guns.  Nor is it intended to restrict those law abiding citizens who reside near schools, as the law specifically exempts them from its prohibitions while the guns are on their property.  The law, likewise, is not intended to inhibit those individuals who possess concealed weapons permits from carrying firearms in conformity with the permits.
[...]

Thlax

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 11:50:11 PM »
With the dems controlling both houses, I suspect his proposals will fly.  I feel confident that all criminals will turn in their AR's. multiround clips, etc, so we can all breath easier.

Wether we can prevail depends on how loudly we can reach the dems that still believe in the Second Amendment, the federal and the state one.  A strong showing on 1 /20, with media coverage would help.

Our state doesn't allow a dissent opinion. He had way too much power.

What process will this go through to get approved ? Where can it be stopped ?

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 11:55:38 PM »
A strong showing at the 2nd Amendment Rights Rally held at the Modern Maturity Center in Dover Sunday is a must for all gun owners. There you will be able to talk face to face to get answers and ask question. I'm sure there will be some of our State Representatives that are highly rated by NRA on hand.
The place is suppose to hold 800, lets pack it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun