Author Topic: Traveling to Ohio thru Pa.  (Read 6534 times)

Beretta92

Traveling to Ohio thru Pa.
« on: October 03, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
I have my DE. (resident), and PA. (non resident permit). From what I see DE has a recip agreement with Ohio. So I am good to carry on my trip from DE. through PA.  to Ohio, and carry while in Ohio.

Just want to be sure. Thanks!

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Traveling to Ohio thru Pa.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »
That is correct! 

Here's a link to make things easier..  but as always, verify with the website of each state. 

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Beretta92

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »
Moosie,

Thanks! That is the site that I used. I just want to be 100% accurate. I have it book marked on my IPhone.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 06:32:07 PM »
It's a great site but remember, as she said, also check the state site for each state itself. Changes happen often and it would suck if something changed yesterday and the various sites hadn't updated yet.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »
Moosie,

Thanks! That is the site that I used. I just want to be 100% accurate. I have it book marked on my IPhone.

Two other sites: CCW iPhone app, and handgunlaw.us.  CCW allows you to enter your permits and display a full map. 
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:54:07 PM »
Are you passing through West Virginia? Depends on the route... but you're legal there, too.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Newlife503

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 03:24:33 AM »
I believe in ohio if you interact with a police officer (such as a traffic stop) while carrying you must inform them you are carrying immediately.
NRA Life Member
DSSA Member
DE,PA,FL,UT CC Permits
New Castle County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 05:18:12 AM »
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf
Must Inform Officer by Law: YES
New Castle County

Beretta92

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 12:27:56 PM »
I will not be going through West Virginia this time because we are going to Akron. When we go to Columbus we do go through West Virginia. So thanks for that advice.

Thanks for the advice for informing an officer if stopped.

This is why I posted the question, all good help in return!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 01:22:49 PM »
Beretta, if I can....

I've made several trips across country at various times.  When I have to go on a long multi-state trip, I take a binder with me. In said binder is a page protector for each state. ** FYI, some counties of a state have slightly different (more restrictive) laws than the state does** 

Of course, I read over the laws for each state before I travel through it...  however, this is my feeling on if I got stopped and wasn't following the law...    (IANAL, PAYOR, IYGAINBYO...  I am not a lawyer, Proceed at your own risk, if you get arrested im not bailing you out LOL)  All of us are trying to follow the various laws. If we weren't we wouldn't have a concealed permit and would be "thugging" it. 

If I got stopped and could produce documentation that I had very recently printed out just prior to my trip, and some goofy law had just taken effect magically a few hours before..  then I feel as though if I got stopped and wasn't following the law that perhaps that just might save my hide.  I hope I never have to find out.  Just my own thoughts. 

Be safe and have fun!

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Beretta92

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 02:36:44 PM »
Moosie,

Thanks for the advice, that is easy to do. While I am in Ohio I will be with one of my brother in laws who has an Ohio permit. He has told me that in Ohio your permit is tied to you drivers license, so when the stop you they will find out that you do have a permit.

mrjam2jab

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 03:29:27 PM »
Moosie,

Thanks for the advice, that is easy to do. While I am in Ohio I will be with one of my brother in laws who has an Ohio permit. He has told me that in Ohio your permit is tied to you drivers license, so when the stop you they will find out that you do have a permit.

You, as a passenger in your BIL's car, still have the duty to notify.  Your BIL notifying for you may not be good enough.  In OH they "prefer" you notify before the cop even says anything. 

OH 2923.126
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 05:34:24 PM »
Moosie,

You, as a passenger in your BIL's car, still have the duty to notify.  Your BIL notifying for you may not be good enough.  In OH they "prefer" you notify before the cop even says anything.  

OH 2923.126
Thanks, @mrjam2jab.  Good info on Duty To Inform. Ohio is quite restrictive: schools B2, churches B6, posted private premises (trespass) C3a, open air arena B4, colleges B5, and day care centers B7.  As I understand DE law; no trespass if you leave immediately when asked, schools OK unless HB 67 gets passed, and churches OK. However, OH does allow carry in State parks, State forests and WMAs. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:45:02 PM by Cbmarine »
New Castle County