Author Topic: Walther Creed  (Read 6613 times)

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
Walther Creed
« on: December 30, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »
Anyone checked out this new pistol? Pre-cocked hammer fired double-action with a 6.5lb trigger pull. Federal Firearm has it listed at 362 bucks! Great price from a great manufacturer. It's on my short list and saving my pennies. If it shoots anything like the PPS I'm sold and will be visiting Chris soon. I'm hoping one of you has shot one.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

AudiQ

Re: Walther Creed
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:48:44 PM »
Have not shot one- yet. WaltherForums has a lot of discussion about it. The consensus seems to be that it is a PPX M2 with similar  ergonomics of the PPQ and PPS M2, both of which I have and like. If the Creed has the Walther quality at that price point it could be a great buy.
Endeavor to persevere

8thFA

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 12:43:02 AM »
I have a PPX, great gun, paid 280 dollars for it.  Shoots like a champ.  Not sure how different the creed is.  Walther makes a nice product.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 01:53:30 AM »
I have a PPX, great gun, paid 280 dollars for it.  Shoots like a champ.  Not sure how different the creed is.  Walther makes a nice product.

I read they are very similar. I hear the PPX has a great trigger.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 11:06:29 AM »
I own most of the newer Walther handgun lineup, with the exception of the P22 (due to poor build quality), including the Creed. I find it of lower quality build from the Classic versions of the PPQ and PPS (I cant comment on the M2 versions), P99 and PK380. I found the mag often pinched the bottom of my hand right below my pinky. The trigger isn't as nice with some grit and isn't as crisp nor as smooth as the PPQ or PPS however it was still pretty good. The grit hasn't seamed to smooth out either after a few range trips. Also it has an extremely long reset and you almost need to release the trigger fully to fire again. If you like to follow through with a double shot it makes it more difficult. Reminds me of a revolvers trigger where if you squeezed the trigger again to soon the cylinder would lock and not rotate. It's hard to beat the stock PPQ trigger without going to an aftermarket. The finish of parts were slightly rougher. Lacks the grip backstraps providing a better "customized" grip though it did still feel decent. Found the shorter slidestop lever to be rough and gritty and required more pressure to release. I'm certainly no marksman but I found it unremarkable to shoot and get tighter groups from the smaller PPS with a barrel almost an inch shorter. All rounds successfully through it have fired however I've had 4 or 5 stovepipes and maybe 2 dozen failure to return to battery with rounds getting hung-up in various stages from the edge of the feedramp to the chamber opening. I've never had such issues with any other handgun I've owned. Finally I can't say that I like the looks of the Creed either. The grip, top and front look fine but that rounded off rear of the slide and frame, nor the rounded trigger guard do it for me.

Really I'd never consider it, or at least the one I own, to be a carry firearm. Way to many failures simply making it unreliable. I'm considering returning it to Walther for testing its that unreliable. I'd honestly prefer to carry the Hi-Point JMP .45 to this. It's the first modern Walther handgun I actually distrust. I truly believe every product has a few bad ones that make it past QA and I hope the Creed I own is one. We'll see what Walther has to say when I send it into them. Its quality was just above that of the P22, which was built and assembled in Walther's German Umarex toy airgun facility. The Ruger SR22 is much better then the P22 in build quality, dependability and accuracy.

As to the price... it's easy to see when comparing it to a PPS, PPQ, P99. There are valid reasons to pay more and I clearly see them. For a CCW... I'll continue with the dependable and higher quality PPQ, PPS and P99c. The PPQ and PPS I'd recommend to anyone as they are very well built, extremely accurate, fairly easy to shoot and the trigger in the PPQ is simply a dream stock trigger.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 11:12:07 AM by Adrenolin »

8thFA

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 11:24:08 AM »

I read they are very similar. I hear the PPX has a great trigger.

It does, I really like the way it shoots.  It was the first handgun I bought, before I decided to get my CCDW.  I bought it for home defense, ended up geting a Springfield XDM 3.8 for EDC.
US Army veteran
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
NCC

PPScarry

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »
I was worried about the internal ejector Adrenolin.  Appreciate the review and am sorry your Creed is a stinker. I think I will pass. I was looking for a range gun other than my Px4 and love my PPS. I carry and depend on the PPS and it has never malfunctioned after several thousand rounds. I guess I will keep on looking. It's half the fun.
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »
I was worried about the internal ejector Adrenolin.  Appreciate the review and am sorry your Creed is a stinker. I think I will pass. I was looking for a range gun other than my Px4 and love my PPS. I carry and depend on the PPS and it has never malfunctioned after several thousand rounds. I guess I will keep on looking. It's half the fun.

You're not the only one worried with ejector issues and the Creed and I'm not the only one having issues I mentioned.

If you're looking for an amazing Walther range gun the Walther PPQ Q5 Match would be the handgun to buy. If that's too rich then either the PPQ M2 5″ barrel or the regular 4". The 5" of course would be the choice for range fun but either are more accurate then I am and likely most other people. There are a lot of people shooting the Classic or M2 (depending on mag release preference) 4" in 3-Gun, IDPA and USPSA  matches.

I keep saying I'm gonna order the M2 5" to put the 5" barrel and slide on one of my Classic PPQ lower frames but haven't yet as it seems like a waste. Still in hopes that they will release only the barrel and top slide.. which I know they will not do lol.

My Classic 9mm PPQs would be the last handguns I'd part with followed by the Ruger 357/38/9mm SP101 and then the PPS.

robberbaron

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 11:02:08 PM »
I really appreciate this thread as I watched an episode of Guns and Ammo recently and they seemed to faun over the Creed. It looked a little cheap to me, but I think I will scratch it off my list.