Author Topic: Voting rights for Felons ?  (Read 9859 times)

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Voting rights for Felons ?
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:05:32 AM »
http://www.wdel.com/story.php?id=49486

The President and CEO of the NAACP comes to Delaware to throw his support behind a constitutional amendment that must pass this year with a two-thirds majority in order to restore voting rights to convicted felons.

WDEL's Amy Cherry reports

Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: Voting rights for Felons ?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 12:21:33 PM »
Personally I think the waiting period is a good idea.  If someone convicted of a FELONY shows he can stay out for 5 years then there is a good chance he will not re-offend. 

If they want to do something to help these guys then stop taking their driver's license from them.  It is difficult to tell them they have to get a job, pay restitution and in some cases attend meetings with their parole officers and other aftercare programs but not allow them to drive to get there.  It is counter-productive.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Bmel17

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »
So the time spent in jail didn't make them think? 

I'm a libertarian.  I think if they have committed a crime and spent the proper time away from society, they have repaid their debt and should have ALL their rights restored.  If they can't be trusted with those rights why have they been released from custody?

Our legal system is fundamentally broken and flawed.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
Our sometimes “not so fair” legal system has determined, based on someone’s ethical principles, and has judged perpetrators and passed sentence.  Man did the deed and man provided the consequence.  God has yet to judge all of these people.

Since man created the motive, opportunity and consequence then every man has the right to speak at that table.  Noting recent developments: Isn’t it now preposterous to claim some people are not trustworthy enough to vote?  How can they make a mistake?
Proud resident of Kent County DE

mrjam2jab

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »
So the time spent in jail didn't make them think? 

I'm a libertarian.  I think if they have committed a crime and spent the proper time away from society, they have repaid their debt and should have ALL their rights restored.  If they can't be trusted with those rights why have they been released from custody?

Our legal system is fundamentally broken and flawed.

Exactly.  Just like "Megan's Law" registering.  If a person can't be trusted that they have to register their whereabouts with local LEA then they shouldn't be let out of the cage.
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »
I know its not popular to say, but I am sure more than a few people know that the naacp wants felons to vote because they feel more felons will vote for the candidates that they support.

"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 09:55:17 PM »
If they can't be trusted with those rights why have they been released from custody?
Having worked in prisons in 4 states over the last 30 years I cannot tell you how many times inmates being released have bragged about going right back to drug dealing, stealing or whatever and then watching them return to jail way too quickly. People get released because their sentence is over. Period. We cannot hold people in prison waiting for them to become mature enough to handle what is on the outside and the responsibility of being a good citizen.  The other side of this is that I have seen MANY come out of prison, turn their life around and not go back to a life of crime.  If anyone knows of a trick to be able to distinguish one from the other in advance I would like to know it. Until that happens I am OK letting them wait 5 years.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 11:47:34 PM »
I wonder how many ex-cons would actually vote anyway?
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 11:57:37 PM »
   If they get voting back,  do they have to do jury duty?
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 06:40:39 PM »
   If they get voting back,  do they have to do jury duty?

Works if a repeat offender is assured a jury of his peers!
Proud resident of Kent County DE

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 11:39:41 PM »
I wonder who most felons who get the right back would vote for

1, the guy who wants to take our guns
2, the guy who supports the constitution.

I find it funny the politicians that seem the softest on crime and criminals are the strictest about passing gun laws.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 11:41:28 PM »
I'm betting they would vote for the party of "free stuff".
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:36:11 AM »

And that is the party that often does not support our gun rights. I see the point of the libertarian side, but I hate to see my rights taken away by giving someone rights. This is what we face when felons vote for people like Obama.

Bmel17

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 11:18:17 AM »

And that is the party that often does not support our gun rights. I see the point of the libertarian side, but I hate to see my rights taken away by giving someone rights. This is what we face when felons vote for people like Obama.

So a free person should not get a right to vote because you feel they will vote for the wrong party?  The same argument could be made for arresting anyone with a liberal mindset.

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 02:12:38 PM »

So a free person should not get a right to vote because you feel they will vote for the wrong party?  The same argument could be made for arresting anyone with a liberal mindset.

A free person no. The 14th amendment even says voting rights can be stripped for some things. Does it hurt my feelings felons cant vote? No.

How can a person who just got out of jail be contributing anything to society to have a right to cut up the money? That is like a family letting the kids have an equal vote of the parents who pay all the bills.