Author Topic: Voting rights for Felons ?  (Read 9860 times)

Bmel17

Re: Voting rights for Felons ?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 03:03:45 PM »
So a person is not truly free then.  In your evolution of ideas as you are always claiming "darn libertarians", look at your own example you provided:

That is like a family letting the kids have an equal vote of the parents who pay all the bills.

Children are under the custody of their parents until the have a reached the age of consent which for all intents America has determined to be 18.  They then gain with that coming of age all the rights of an adult to vote as they please.  The same contrast can be seen with felons, only the government is their custodian, and their age of consent becomes their release from prison/parole. 

So while it is not hurting your feelings, it isn't a true slice of votes from a free republic.

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 04:09:04 PM »
So a person is not truly free then.  In your evolution of ideas as you are always claiming "darn libertarians", look at your own example you provided:

That is like a family letting the kids have an equal vote of the parents who pay all the bills.

Children are under the custody of their parents until the have a reached the age of consent which for all intents America has determined to be 18.  They then gain with that coming of age all the rights of an adult to vote as they please.  The same contrast can be seen with felons, only the government is their custodian, and their age of consent becomes their release from prison/parole. 

So while it is not hurting your feelings, it isn't a true slice of votes from a free republic.

Can we agree 100% then that we should not even be having this aspect of the discussion because even if everyone who had a pulse could vote even kids that it should not have a bearing on our gun rights?

That is my issue that giving rights to someone else means they can take a right away gauranteed by the cosntitution.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Bmel17

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »

Can we agree 100% then that we should not even be having this aspect of the discussion because even if everyone who had a pulse could vote even kids that it should not have a bearing on our gun rights?

That is my issue that giving rights to someone else means they can take a right away gauranteed by the cosntitution.

You are missing the point.  The example has nothing to do with how they vote. 

How anyone votes is their business and their right.  They can vote to live in poverty or to be force fed dirt.  Such is the will of the free republic.  You, I or anyone else might not agree with the general consensus of that will, but that is the price of a free republic.  Your changing the topic of this conversation to they won't vote how you want them to.

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 08:16:41 PM »

You are missing the point.  The example has nothing to do with how they vote. 

How anyone votes is their business and their right.  They can vote to live in poverty or to be force fed dirt.  Such is the will of the free republic.  You, I or anyone else might not agree with the general consensus of that will, but that is the price of a free republic.  Your changing the topic of this conversation to they won't vote how you want them to.

Its not a matter of how I want them to.

Its the constitution and our second amendment should be absolute. I see the point of everyone having a vote I just dont like when people use that to take away the rights of others ( gun owners) our founders established.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 02:24:15 AM »
See we discussed this thought I would post an udpate from the NAACP I got via email

Great news to share—we’ve won another battle in the fight to restore the votes to 4.4 million citizens who have committed crimes and done their time.  Yesterday, the Delaware State Senate voted to restore the vote to non-violent offenders who have completed their sentences.

This victory is particularly poignant because disenfranchisement efforts in Delaware led to 7,400 citizens prohibited from the vote—seventy five percent of whom were African American.

The NAACP Delaware state conference and organizers on the ground have been advocating for the restoration of voting rights for many years.  And President Jealous spoke before the Delaware State Senate in an impassioned plea for people formerly convicted of a felony. 

Join us in sharing your support for the restoration of voting rights of ALL citizens who have paid their debt to society.  Sign the petition here:

http://www.naacp.org/page/s/restoration-of-rights-in-de-and-va-next

With HB 10, the Hazel D. Plant Voter Restoration Act, the Delaware state Constitution has been amended.  No longer will Delawareans with non-violent felony convictions have to wait five years post their terms in order to exercise their right to vote.

The NAACP supports the restoration of voting rights for all citizens.  Delaware is one victory in the long fight to restore the votes for all Americans.  Sign this petition today and indicate your support for voting rights restoration for all people with felony convictions across the United States:

http://www.naacp.org/page/s/restoration-of-rights-in-de-and-va-next

Felony disenfranchisement schemes emerged after the vote was expanded through the Fifteenth Amendment.

These laws stem from the Jim Crow era and harkens back to a time our rights were constricted—we must do away with all laws that reflect the vestiges of those turbulent times. 

In solidarity,

Jotaka Eaddy, Sr. Director of Voting Rights

NAACP

I wonder if they support restoring firearm rights???

leagle

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 12:43:55 AM »
Believe it or not this has a lot to do with firearms. There is no such thing as a partial pardon and literally every pardon application cites restoration of right to vote as the first reason they are applying for a pardon. If a felon is pardoned it reinstates his right to vote as well as the right to possess deadly weapons. A lot of people are turned down because the board of pardons is uncomfortable restoring the right to possess deadly weapons. This isn't as much an NAACP issue as it is an effort to line up more Democratic voters. With restoration of voting privileges there is going to be a whole lot fewer pardons approved.

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 01:40:10 AM »
Believe it or not this has a lot to do with firearms. There is no such thing as a partial pardon and literally every pardon application cites restoration of right to vote as the first reason they are applying for a pardon. If a felon is pardoned it reinstates his right to vote as well as the right to possess deadly weapons. A lot of people are turned down because the board of pardons is uncomfortable restoring the right to possess deadly weapons. This isn't as much an NAACP issue as it is an effort to line up more Democratic voters. With restoration of voting privileges there is going to be a whole lot fewer pardons approved.

I agree about the democratic votes, but often get accused of supression when I don't support it. The sad thing is it goes to the domino effect of more democratic voters. More presidents like obama, more justices like Kagan and goodbye second amendment ( or gun laws like Jersey nationwide) and many dont get it. Other "new voters" they are trying to mint currently will have the save effect. it is going stealth for most gun enthusiets.

Now ideally the second amendment should be absolute regardless of who votes. We all know that not to be the case though