Author Topic: CCDW Reference Question  (Read 5499 times)

TheMessick

CCDW Reference Question
« on: July 13, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »
Hello, I have a childhood friend that is stationed at DAFB and I am curious if he can be used as one of my character references.
He has a Delaware address, but is technically from PA.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: CCDW Reference Question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 11:51:11 PM »
You may have to call the Prothonotary's Office for that one. It depends on the legal definition of "citizen."

a certificate of 5 respectable citizens of the county in which the applicant resides at the time of filing the application

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

TheMessick

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »
I talked to my friend and he said that he had signed another friend's reference, but that application is still processing.
I think I will call the Prothonotary tomorrow on my break. Better safe than sorry.
Thanks for the advice!

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
Always a good idea, Messick, and good luck.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

robberbaron

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 08:21:49 PM »
Have any references actually ever been contacted? Mine weren't and I never heard of any. Just a thought.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:53 AM »
At least some of my references were contacted and the investigator called me to suggest that I change one of my references.  Not because what she said about me but because of something I was not aware of in her background.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 02:39:57 AM »
Hawkeye brings up a good point a lot of people don't realize. Your five references are also subject to a background check. If they are your friends, you should be informing them.
New Castle County

firststatefirearms

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:59:42 AM »
If he has a Delaware Driver's License than I would say he is a Delaware resident.  Best to play it safe and call and check first.
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

TheMessick

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 12:39:10 AM »
Everyone I'm using as a reference currently has a CCDW in Delaware, except for the one in the AF, so they all know the fun stuff that goes along with it. Still, it is always a good idea to let your friends know how their name is being used. Didn't get a chance to call the Prothonotary today, only so much one can do with a 30 min lunch break.  ::)

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:29 AM »
Everyone I'm using as a reference currently has a CCDW in Delaware, except for the one in the AF, so they all know the fun stuff that goes along with it. Still, it is always a good idea to let your friends know how their name is being used. Didn't get a chance to call the Prothonotary today, only so much one can do with a 30 min lunch break.  ::)

If you send a email to dale.broome@state.de.us titled "CCDW Inquiry" that contains your reference question, then Dale Christine Broome will likely send you a prompt answer.  She works New Castle County but should know the regs for Kent County.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:57:51 AM by Cbmarine »
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

TheMessick

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 01:45:28 AM »
I called the Prothonotory this afternoon and was told that as long as he had a Kent county address and had orders to Delaware it should be ok.
The lady I talked to did add the caveat that it was up to the judges discretion though. More likely than not, I will add an extra "back up" reference when I apply. Better safe than sorry.