Author Topic: Zimmerman Trial: Tired of media bias? See gun-friendly legal coverage  (Read 59341 times)

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Zimmerman Trial Day 4: Video, Analysis of State's Case & Witnesses
« Reply #90 on: June 27, 2013, 12:36:33 PM »
Hey folks,

Today marks the fourth day of the trial proper, with the State continuing to present it's case and witnesses.  The day is expected to start with West's continue cross-examination of Rachel Jeantel (e.g., "Dee-Dee", aka "Martin's 16-year-old girlfriend"), the person who was purportedly speaking with Martin by cell phone moments before he was killed by George Zimmerman.

We will be covering the trial all day, with live-coverage, streaming video, and an embedded Twitter feed of selected contributors. 

We will also have a brief mid-day update during the lunch recess or immediately thereafter.

For links to our live video coverage today, for access to our analysis and video of yesterday's testimony, and archives of all our prior posts both here at the Law of Self Defense and at Legal Insurrection, click here:

Zimmerman Trial Day 4: Video, Analysis of State’s Case & Witnesses

Also, don't forget to "follow" my Twitter feed--most of my minute-by-minute observations and analysis over the course of the day are published on my Twitter feed:  @LawSelfDefense (no "of" in there).

Enjoy,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
Facebook: Law of Self Defense
Andrew F. Branca, Attorney at Law (MA)
www.lawofselfdefense.com
This message does NOT constitute legal advice, and does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship/confidentiality.
If you have an immediate need for legal advice, consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction.

Re: Zimmerman Trial: Tired of media bias? See gun-friendly legal coverage
« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2013, 02:15:40 PM »
With Florida gun laws I do think the liberal candidate in 2016 will lose more than a few votes if a riot occurs. Decent people have a right to defend themselves. The area I live in could blow up in a riot as well and I will be fully ready to defend myself and my family. I am not looking for trouble, but if trouble wants to find me I am fully prepared to protect my family.

Sadly in Delaware I think if 10 guys broke into the house and tried to kill me and assault my wife if I were to shoot one of them Al and Jesse would show up and they would try to make it into a hate crime.

Unfortunately there is a double standard of how people are judged in this country, but people are waking up and seeing it. There are some forums a post even mentioning the possibility of a riot because some groups don't get their way would be frowned upon. Well that attitude is how we will lose our guns.

Double standard examples

Obama and bush ( how Bush was slammed over the patriot act but liberals say nothing about Obama)

The jena six case ( clearly a savage attack blindside by 6 against one that was a hate crime and not treated that way. In full disclosure all but one of the thugs has been in and out of trouble since"

The duke rape case ( the guys were innocent, but because they were white and perceived to have commited a crime against a minority they were out to hang the lacrosse players)

The Knoxville horror ( also not charged as a hate crime. six guys carjacked a young white couple and brutally raped and tortured the young man and woman over several days and then killed them. I think two of them just got out of jail before that. Again a clear hate crime that was not treated as one)

WAKE UP AMERICA. equal means equal rights for all not special rights for anyone
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Hey folks,

I just posted up the mid-day update for day 4 of the Zimmerman Trial.  It consists mainly of a selected collection of my tweets from this morning, but should provide a reasonable overview of today's events so far.  We will, of course, have a more detailed analysis tonight.

Zimmerman Update Exclusive — Mid-Day 4 — West’s Cross-Examination of Rachel Jeantel

Enjoy,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
Facebook:  Law of Self Defense
www.lawofselfdefense.com
This message does NOT constitute legal advice, and does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship/confidentiality.
If you have an immediate need for legal advice, consult a competent attorney in your jurisdiction.

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Hey folks,

I just posted up the wrap-up for day 4 of the Zimmerman Trial--this wrap-up includes analysis and video of today's State's witnesses.

Zimmerman Trial Day 4 – End-of-Day Analysis & Video of State’s Witnesses

Enjoy,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Zimmerman Trial Day 5: Video, Analysis of State's Case & Witnesses
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »
Hey folks,

Today marks the fifth day of the trial proper, with the State continuing to present it's case and witnesses. 

We will be covering the trial all day, with live-coverage, streaming video, and an embedded Twitter feed of selected contributors. 

We will also have a brief mid-day update during the lunch recess or immediately thereafter. (and not just a list of tweets, this time!)

For links to our live video coverage today, for access to our analysis and video of yesterday's testimony, and archives of all our prior posts both here at the Law of Self Defense and at Legal Insurrection, click here:

Zimmerman Trial Day 5: Video, Analysis of State’s Case & Witnesses

Also, don't forget to "follow" my Twitter feed--most of my minute-by-minute observations and analysis over the course of the day are published on my Twitter feed:  @LawSelfDefense (no "of" in there).

Enjoy,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2013, 12:37:02 PM »
That "young lady" who spoke yesterday has had more than a few people talking online. It is actually comical reading some of the comments from people on this.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Zimmerman Trial – Open Comment Forum – Weekend Wrap-Up & Reader Poll
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2013, 04:03:53 PM »
Hey folks,

My apologies for the delay in updating this thread--I've been blogging the case, but was swamped I didn't have time to stop by and let you know where to find my coverage of the case the last couple of days.

Here's what's been happening:

Yesterday I posted a week-end wrap of of the case, you can get to here:

Yesterday, I did a blog post on whether, and how, the State may change their focus from getting a second degree murder conviction to settling for manslaughter:

Zimmerman Trial: If State can’t get murder 2, can they get manslaughter? Yes . . . and no

Also yesterday I did a brief blog post on Zimmerman's Florida CWL, including an image of the actual license:

Zimmerman Trial: Evidentiary Flashback: George Zimmerman’s Concealed Weapons License

Finally, this morning I did a blog post on Martin's autopsy, including a PDF of the actual medical examiner's report:

Zimmerman Trial: Evidentiary Flashback: AUTOPSY REPORT: Clinical cause of death of Trayvon Martin

I may do another post tonight, not sure yet.  Keep your eyes open for a note here, or better yet check in with the Legal Insurrection (Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion) or the Law of Self Defense (Law of Self Defense) blogs.

Best,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Zimmerman Trial Day 6: Live Video, Analysis of State's Case & Witnesses
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2013, 12:39:33 PM »
Hey folks,

Today we will again be covering the Zimmerman Trial live, all day, with streaming video. Continuing commentary will be posted in the Twitter feed of selected contributors below the first video feed, and breaking news will be added at the bottom of this post.

During the lunch recess, or immediately thereafter, we will post a mid-day update (not just a list of tweets this time!). We'll then follow up with the usual detailed end-of-day wrap up, including video and embedded Tweets, at the usual time in the evening.

You can watch it all here (but note this link may not go live until Court is in session, about 9:00AM (US EST):

Zimmerman Trial LIVE VIDEO – Day 6 – State’s Witnesses

NOTE: I've heard a rumor that court may start as 8:30AM (US EST) at the request of defense counsel O'Mara. I have been unable to confirm this rumor, but should it prove correct our coverage will begin at that earlier time. *Regardless, the Legal Insurrection page for today's coverage will not go live until we formally begin our coverage

For all of our prior coverage on day-to-day events in court, as covered here at Legal Insurrection, click here:

ARCHIVE: Zimmerman Trial LIVE coverage all day, every day

For all of our prior coverage on issues specific to the Law of Self Defense as covered at my own blog, click here:

Law of Self Defense Blog: Zimmerman Trial

(NOTE: As much as I appreciate everyone visiting the LOSD blog, be sure to return to Legal Insurrection to comment, as nearly all my time is spent there for the duration of the trial. Handy links are provided everywhere that might be useful.)

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Hey folks,

For those who are interested, my end-of-day video and analysis of the Day 6 of Florida v. Zimmerman has just been posted. *If you didn’t listen to the live streaming of the Zimmerman case, you missed the most astonishing cross-examination of a trial that has been hip-deep in astonishing cross-examinations. (Fortunately for you, we provide the video–it’s worth watching it.)

On the stand was Chris Serino, who was the lead investigator for the Sanford Police Department on the Trayyvon Martin shooting. Defense counsel Mark O’Mara led cross-examination with his usual consummate skill, obtaining responses from this witness–remember, the State’s witness–that all but completely guts the State’s charge in this case.

Zimmerman Trial Day 6 – Analysis & Video – State’s witness Chris Serino seriously undermines charge

In addition to the end-of-day wrap up we also posted a mid-day analysis:

Zimmerman Update Exclusive — Mid-Day 6 — Zimmerman recounts fight for his life (recording)

We also separately made a couple of blog posts you might find interesting:

Zimmerman Update — How Much Injury Is Required Before Self-Defense is Justified?

Zimmerman Trial: Evidentiary Flashback: Investigator Serino Tells FBI He Was Pressured to Bring Charges

Don't forget to join us Tuesday at 9:00AM for our all day live coverage of Day 7 of the trial.

Also, don't forget to "follow" my Twitter feed--most of my minute-by-minute observations, analysis, and just funny remarks over the course of the day are published on my Twitter feed: @LawSelfDefense (no "of" in there).

To see our weekend wrap-up and reader poll of the trial up through last week, click here:

For all of our prior coverage on day-to-day events in court, as covered here at Legal Insurrection, click here:

For all of our prior coverage on issues specific to the Law of Self Defense as covered at my own blog, click here:

Enjoy,
Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Zimmerman Trial Day 7: Live Video, Analysis of State's Case & Witnesses
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2013, 12:33:11 PM »
Hey folks,

Today we will again be covering the Zimmerman Trial live, all day, with streaming video. Continuing commentary will be posted in the Twitter feed of selected contributors below the first video feed, and breaking news will be added at the bottom of this post.

During the lunch recess, or immediately thereafter, we will post a mid-day update. We'll then follow up with the usual detailed end-of-day wrap up, including video and embedded Tweets, at the usual time in the evening.

Today court is expected to start at 9:00AM with the continuing cross-examination Sanford PD Investigator Chris Serino, who's cross-examination yesterday by defense attorney Mark O'Mara did so much damage the the State's theory of the case. 

You can watch it all here:

Zimmerman Trial LIVE VIDEO – Day 7 – State’s Witnesses

You see our analysis and video of O'Mara's devastating cross-examination of Serino (devastating, that is, to the State--Serino comes across as a consummate professional) here:

Zimmerman Trial Day 6 – Analysis & Video – State’s witness Chris Serino seriously undermines charge

(NOTE: As much as I appreciate everyone visiting the LOSD blog, be sure to return to Legal Insurrection to comment, as nearly all my time is spent there for the duration of the trial. Handy links are provided everywhere that might be useful.)

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2013, 03:24:02 PM »
With this testimony from a prosecutor's witness you have to ask yourself why is this train wreck going forward.

At one point Serino was pressured to initiate a “challenge meeting” with Zimmerman, in which he would try to goad Zimmerman to making substantive changes to his testimony or to admit to a substantive omission from his prior testimony. The purpose of the “challenge meeting,” it was explained, is to try to break the suspects story and get to the truth. Indeed, the investigator might even pretend that some piece of incriminating evidence existed, or otherwise exaggerate evidence contrary to the suspect’s narrative, to try to find a chink in the suspect’s story.

The trouble, Serino recounted, is that he couldn’t really do an effective “challenge meeting” for the simple reason that “I just didn’t have much to challenge him WITH.” In this case, O’Mara asked, you didn’t have much to hit him with? “No sir,” answered Serino, “I did not.”
Nevertheless, the “challenge meeting” was held. In the absence of any real contrary evidence with which to challenge Serino, the Investigator pretended to have some ready to spring. They had discovered, he said, video footage of the events that evening. “And what did Zimmerman say when you told him that?” “He said, Thank God,”(emphasis mine) Serino answered.
Looking directly at the man who had been the chief investigator on the case, who had possessed access to ever bit of evidence of any sort, who had interviewed, and re-interviewed, and re-re-interviewed–applying increasing from each interview to the next–O’Mara asked him:
“Do YOU think George Zimmerman was telling you the truth?”
Serino succinct answer: “Yes.”

Does Zimmerman have a case for some form of malicious and reckless manipulation of the legal system in bringing these ridiculous charges against him?

« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 05:00:47 PM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
Does Zimmerman have a case for some form of malicious and reckless manipulation of the legal system in bringing these ridiculous charges against him.
We can all hope so.

« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2013, 05:57:29 PM »
Does Zimmerman have a case for some form of malicious and reckless manipulation of the legal system in bringing these ridiculous charges against him.
We can all hope so.

He should have as much of one as the gentlemen in the Duke Lacrosse rape case did. I know the prosecutor was disbarred and some other things happened.

The thing that really gets me is that people like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson should not be able to complain and make charges appear ( not out of thin air, but if was over until they started up)

Now beyond the agitation there is no way that man will get a fair trial. People are far too afraid of riots.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2013, 11:15:10 PM »
Yes, when you are a prosecutor and you are being handed your @@@ on a silver patter in a nationally broadcasted trial the sensible thing to do is complain about a posted photo of the defense attorney with his daughters eating an ice cream cone.
Prosecutors claimed in their motion the photo was posted after defense attorney Don West's tense cross-examination with prosecution witness Rachel Jeantel last week.

The caption in the photo posted by West's daughter reads "We beat stupidity celebration cones" and "dadkilledit."

Prosecutors said an inquiry was necessary "to ensure that witnesses and court proceedings are treated with respect and not as occasions for inappropriate jokes."

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/article/Prosecutors-want-inquiry-into-ice-cream-photo-4642613.php

Updated:
Found the picture
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:04:00 AM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Law of Self Defense

• Law of Self Defense
Hey folks,

We covered the morning’s events with our mid-day update, available here at the link below. It included the completion of cross-examination of Chris Serino, who was more ambivalent today than yesterday, and the testimony of Federal Air Marshal Mark Osterman, self-described best-friend of George Zimmerman who testified about what George had told him of the events without hearsay objection by the defense--frankly, it was the kind of hearsay defense attorneys dream of.

If you’ve already viewed it, be aware that I have just now added to that post the video recordings of the morning testimony, so if you are interested in seeing those, that’s the place to go:

Zimmerman Update Exclusive — Mid-Day 7 — Serino more ambivalent, Osterman supports self-defense

This afternoon's line-up had a video presentation of George Zimmerman's appearance on the Sean Hannity show, testimony by a trucked-in medical examiner from the Prosecution team's home-town who never examined either Martin's body or Zimmerman's head, a debate about whether the State could bring into evidence Zimmerman's college records and police academy application (to be settled tomorrow at 8:30AM hearing), and finally testimony from a fingerprint analysts who was unable to identify the only print found on Zimmerman's gun.

To read our analysis and access the video for all aspects of this afternoon's testimony, click here:

Zimmerman Trial Day 7 Wrap Up: Prosecution recovers a little, prepared to introduce college records

Well, that's it for day 7. Don't forget to join us for our all-day live coverage, streaming video and ongoing analysis and scrolling Twitter feed tomorrow. 8:30AM sharp for the hearing on Zimmerman's college records, and whatever time that hearing ends for the trial proper.

Enjoy,

Andrew
@LawSelfDefense
www.lawofselfdefense.com