Author Topic: Rubber pistol while waiting?  (Read 5736 times)

CMF

Rubber pistol while waiting?
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:57:33 AM »
With the length of waiting, has anyone practiced carrying with a rubber practice pistol to become accustomed to the fit, position, break in the holster, etc?
Are there legal implications?
Seems like a practical method to quell the anticipation and practice drawing in private.
CMF 
In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame,
two is a law firm and
three or more is a congress.-- John Adams

Treeman

Re: Rubber pistol while waiting?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »
I always carry a rubber....

You never know when you'll need protection ;D

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 07:18:13 PM »
The only time I carry my rubber gun is when hunting rubber ducks...

Jk.... I don't know the legality and implications of carrying a plastic or rubber gun.

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
I would say dont'.      opinion.   
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »
To quote Groucho:
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!"

Please don't.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

joek

• NRA Life Member, USCG veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 05:18:56 AM »
My opinion: no

rusirius

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:29:13 PM »
Okay, I'll be the first to say it...

I'm a bit surprised by the responses...

If this were an open carry forum and you were thinking of carrying a rubber gun to help build your confidence before carrying a real firearm I'd call you INSANE...  Having that firearm on your side could potentially make you a target, and if it did, imagine the bad guys face when he pulls your rubber gun off your body?  ;)

On the other hand, since we are talking about CONCEALED carry, I absolutely don't see any problem with it...

Let's face it... The ONLY person who should EVER know you are carrying, concealed or not, is YOU...

To me it's a bit like somebody telling me not to wear one of my wife's thongs while going out... I mean, as long as I'm not bending over with my low-rise jeans, who is going to know?!?  LMFAO!

In an ABSOLUTE worst case scenario... Let's say you get pulled over by a cop, or whatever... You simply tell them you are carrying it, but it's rubber since you don't have your permit yet and just wanted to get the feel of it.  No different than if it was real and you did have your permit...

HOWEVER... With all that said... I'm not really sure there is any real purpose to doing it...  Dummy guns don't have the heft and weight of a real firearm, especially one loaded with ammo.  So even though it might give you a small taste of what it feels like, it won't actually feel like the real thing.  On the other hand, if you think it will make you feel more confident, then I just can't foresee a problem with it frankly...

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:12:09 PM »
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5/atf-p-5300-5-delaware.pdf

Chapter 25.

If this were an open carry forum and you were thinking of carrying a rubber gun to help build your confidence before carrying a real firearm I'd call you INSANE...  Having that firearm on your side could potentially make you a target, and if it did, imagine the bad guys face when he pulls your rubber gun off your body?  ;)

On the other hand, since we are talking about CONCEALED carry, I absolutely don't see any problem with it...

Let's face it... The ONLY person who should EVER know you are carrying, concealed or not, is YOU...

To me it's a bit like somebody telling me not to wear one of my wife's thongs while going out... I mean, as long as I'm not bending over with my low-rise jeans, who is going to know?!?  LMFAO!

In an ABSOLUTE worst case scenario... Let's say you get pulled over by a cop, or whatever... You simply tell them you are carrying it, but it's rubber since you don't have your permit yet and just wanted to get the feel of it.  No different than if it was real and you did have your permit...

HOWEVER... With all that said... I'm not really sure there is any real purpose to doing it...  Dummy guns don't have the heft and weight of a real firearm, especially one loaded with ammo.  So even though it might give you a small taste of what it feels like, it won't actually feel like the real thing.  On the other hand, if you think it will make you feel more confident, then I just can't foresee a problem with it frankly...

rusirius

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 09:18:26 PM »
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5/atf-p-5300-5-delaware.pdf

Chapter 25.

And???

The only Chapter 25 that I see in that section of code is the one located on the first page, which isn't even part of the Delaware code, that's a bit from the previous state (which happens to be Connecticut.  Even in their code though a dummy gun would fall into their classification of a "facsimile of a firearm" it still does not forbid carrying them... It only forbids "drawing, exhibiting, or brandishing" and EVEN THEN it's in the presence of a peace officer, firefighter, EMT or Paramedic, and only then if they are engaged in performing their duties.  In fact, it actually makes a SPECIFIC exemption for "in self defense" meaning if you REALLY wanted to, you could draw, exhibit and brandish your rubber gun at a bad guy... LOL

Anyway, taking a look at the Delaware code there is absolutely nothing in there dealing with "facsimiles"

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:57:18 PM »
You are correct, it is not for Delaware....but IMO the idea of concealing a rubber gun applies. Also, look at section E on that chapter, it has nothing todo with being on the presence or not of peace officers....

rusirius

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 12:55:14 AM »
You are correct, it is not for Delaware....but IMO the idea of concealing a rubber gun applies. Also, look at section E on that chapter, it has nothing todo with being on the presence or not of peace officers....

First of all Condition1, let me apologize for my earlier post.  I was at work and in a hurry and I didn't realize until just now that it came off as rather brash and abrasive.  It was not intended that way.  We've had enough discussions in the past that I hope you know I didn't intend to sound the way I came off, which was frankly like an @@@!  ;)  

Anywho... I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say section E.  Are we still talking about Chapter 25 of the Connecticut code?  I don't see a section E in there.  The page I'm looking at (in Chapter 25) has 4 sections.  The first being definitions containing 2 subsections.  The second, third and fourth (b,c,d) being the codes.  So what am I missing?

And I'll have to respectfully disagree that concealing a rubber gun would apply.  It does specifically state "drawing, exhibiting and brandishing".  And if we really think about the "purpose" of such a law, it's pretty easy to figure out what this is really "intended" for.  There's no doubt this is there to keep people from doing brilliant crap like "pretending" to shoot at a cop with a plastic toy gun or something similar, which is a pretty brilliant thing to do, but I can see it happening.  On the off chance they "survive" they've committed a crime.   I suppose the reverse could be applied as well, if they DIDN'T survive they we're not just doing something "brilliant" when they we're taken down, but actually committing a crime as well.  If we assume this was really the intent of this law, then it's pretty easy to figure out why concealing one wouldn't apply.  Hell for that matter, if it DID apply, then simply buying a toy gun at the store and having it "concealed" in your shopping bag would have you breaking the law... Which is all still kinda moot since it DOES also specify that it has to be in the presence of a peace officer, fireman, etc...

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 01:13:04 AM »
Hey rusirius, no apologies needed at all. I am typing from my phone and without glasses LOL. Yes, CT chapter 25 C (not E) - "[...] carry [...]" - right before your quote where it says it has to be in the presence of peace officer...firefighter...

I cannot see how it would compare with a toy gun on a shopping bag, or even laying around the car...unless the person is a 5 years old...which is different from an adult carrying one concealed.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:24:40 AM by Condition 1 »