Author Topic: Obama's new E.O.  (Read 3780 times)

ESPMan

Obama's new E.O.
« on: September 18, 2013, 01:03:18 AM »
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/09/17/carney-obama-implementing-executive-actions-following-navy-yard-shooting/

I think its time we make mandatory mental health evals for suspects that exhibit psychopathic behavior, because mag limits or bans won't fix this. This was a breakdown in our mental health system.
The greatest threat to any society is its ignorance and inaction towards the evil that dwells within it.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: Obama's new E.O.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:53:18 AM »
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/09/17/carney-obama-implementing-executive-actions-following-navy-yard-shooting/

I think its time we make mandatory mental health evals for suspects that exhibit psychopathic behavior, because mag limits or bans won't fix this. This was a breakdown in our mental health system.

Do you mean something like this?
(a) Any person who from the enactment of this section is:
​​(1)  ...
​​(2)  reported to a law enforcement agency by a mental health professional, hospital, institution, or agency pursuant to §5402 of Title 16, shall be investigated by the appropriate law enforcement agency to determine if firearms, as defined in §222 of this Title, and related ammunition, as defined in § 1448(c) of this Title, should be relinquished. If such agency determines that firearms/ammunition should be relinquished, the law enforcement agency shall refer the report to the Department of Justice.  The Department of Justice may, upon review of such report, request from the Superior Court an order prohibiting the purchase, ownership and possession of a deadly weapon.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

ESPMan

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 12:50:40 AM »
Yup, that about sums it up. As we all said before, the problem isn't guns, it's people who shouldn't have them getting access to them. I'm not saying screw these people, but c'mon, how could anyone miss the propensity for violence this guy had?
The greatest threat to any society is its ignorance and inaction towards the evil that dwells within it.

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:17:17 AM »
If the police contacted my employer and told them what the Newport police told the military, that guy's door badge would have been shut off before he could even get back from lunch.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 02:56:01 AM »
The quote is from HB 88 that passed the DE House but failed in the Senate 6-13.  Rep Danny Short, an NRA supporter, is in favor of the bill. I quoted his email in the thread "HB 88 Defeated in the Senate".  My senator, Dr. Bethany Hall-Long, also an NRA supporter in the past, has a strong medical background (also a nurse) and voted for the bill. The local NRA-ILA rep, Shannon Alford, said that NRA supported the bill as amended.  I think it would be a defensive move on our part to get this bill passed when the legislature reconvenes.  If they try to revive HB 58 mag limits and HB 67 Safe School Zone, we can point to HB 88 as the needed fix that renders the other two unnecessary.  Logical?
New Castle County

fdegree

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »
All of this sounds good on the surface, and if it were controlled in such a way that reasonable people would expect it to be, it might be fine.  But, how do you stop some anti-gun supporter, from saying "anyone that is pro-gun, or owns a gun, is mentally unstable".  I would be willing to bet, if such a bill is passed, eventually, some anti-gun group will try to categorize gun owners as mentally ill.
Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
-Unknown-

A battle avoided cannot be lost.
-Sun Tzu-

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:48:34 PM »
All of this sounds good on the surface, and if it were controlled in such a way that reasonable people would expect it to be, it might be fine.  But, how do you stop some anti-gun supporter, from saying "anyone that is pro-gun, or owns a gun, is mentally unstable".  I would be willing to bet, if such a bill is passed, eventually, some anti-gun group will try to categorize gun owners as mentally ill.

True, and exactly my concern as I expressed to my senator.  But this is a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't". We need to work towards an answer. IMO, simply saying "no way" will result in a worse law later.
New Castle County

fdegree

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 02:12:02 PM »
The propaganda, and out right lies, by the anti-gun community is continuously in the face of the general public.  Over time, anyone that hears the same thing over and over and over again, will eventually begin to believe in it.  Mainly, because that is all they hear, and never hear anything to the contrary.

I believe, what needs to happen, is the pro-gun community NEEDS to get out there...prominently in the public eye, and start proving the anti-gun rhetoric as false, while promoting the positive aspects of gun ownership.

I agree that mentally unstable people should not have access to firearms.  But, as long as the public is being brainwashed by the anti-gunners, ANY bill that is passed into law (even one restricting the mentally ill) will simply be another victory for the anti's, and eventually result in more gun control of law abiding citizens.  That is their game plan...chip away at it, little-by-little until it is all gone.

New laws will not solve anything.  The side that influences the public will win...right now, the anti-gun community is winning that battle.

Once the public is on our side, then a law restricting the mentally ill will be implemented as it is intended, and gun owners will not have to fear a false claim of mental illness.

This is just my opinion...trash it if you want.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 02:20:40 PM by fdegree »
-Unknown-

-Sun Tzu-

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 03:18:14 PM »
I believe, what needs to happen, is the pro-gun community NEEDS to get out there...prominently in the public eye, and start proving the anti-gun rhetoric as false, while promoting the positive aspects of gun ownership.
This is just my opinion...trash it if you want.

Not trashed: what is the action plan? Work with DSSA, NRA, NAGR, local gun club, 9-12 Patriots?
New Castle County

fdegree

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 06:37:08 PM »
Unless I'm missing something, none of these pro-gun organizations are in the public eye promoting gun ownership near as much as the liberals seem to be in our face trying to rationalize gun control.  Perhaps that is because the media won't give them fair air time...or perhaps they are not putting in the time and effort that the anti's are.  To be honest, I don't know why their message is not being heard as loudly as the anti-gunners.

To answer your question - "what is the action plan?"  --  I honestly don't know...someone much smarted and more eloquent than me will have to take this bull by the horns, and figure that out.  I simply believe pro-gun propaganda will be more effective than implementing another law.  I can't help but fear that every new law is another step forward for the liberals and their goal of total gun control.

Hopefully, someone has thought this through more thoroughly than I have, and can provide a better answer.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:39:33 PM by fdegree »
-Unknown-

-Sun Tzu-