Author Topic: Does your record have to be 100 percent clean to obtain a ccdw permit?  (Read 11087 times)

norwood

i have a DUI from a couple years ago that i pleaded to and took the first offenders program. Would that prevent me from obtaining a CCDW permit in DE? Would having my record expunged or sealed help? i have no crimes of violence on my record at all. Just that @@@@ DUI from sleeping it off in my car one night. Live and learn the hardway sometimes i guess. 

without  getting too personal does anyone here know of anyone who was turned down for this?

and i was also planning on getting my VA and FL non-resident permits as well. Would having ccw permits from other states first help me get a DE one or look better on the application at all? or should i just go for the FL one first?  

thanks in advance for any info

Jon
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:37:21 PM by norwood »

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
Re: Does your record have to be 100 percent clean to obtain a ccdw permit?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 06:25:48 PM »
I honestly don't know, if a DUI will keep you from geting a CCW Permit.
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 09:17:05 PM »
How long ago is a few years? I know some body that had 2 and did time, just because of having 2 nothing else. The last of them was probably 15 years ago or so... he had no problem getting his.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 11:00:33 PM by GunEnvy »
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 10:38:26 PM »
Well, since alcohol-related offenses are specifically questioned, it may be an issue.  You will probably be questioned about it during the telephone call.  But if you have nothing else on your record - it may only present as a speed-bump, and not a complete roadblock.

Regarding the expungement question, it would appear that your DUI is not eligible to be expunged (your plea is an affirmation that the offense did occur).         
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

norwood

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 02:49:05 AM »
thanks for all your input.

it was in 2007 so it will be almost three years since. i took first offenders program and accelerated  rehabilitation and all that noise.

i think you friend did time because he got more then 1 in a 5 year period. or he blew a monster number when he was arrested.

i noticed on the florida application they ask if you have been convicted of more then one dui with in a 5 year period. And DE ask if you have had any alcohol related convictions. Guess i will just have to roll the dice. hoping they are more concerned with drunken disorderly conduct and the likes of charges like that then a dui. but one never knows i guesss. Just wondering if i should wait a little longer because i heard having a denial for a ccw permit looks bad on your record, although i doubt they keep track of who they have denied a ccw permit so how much truth that holds i dont know either. just spitballing.  but with the Gov i guess you never know what they keep track of or not.

as for the expungement i guess it does not matter because after some research all that really does is seal your record from the public if you were going for a job interview or something of the sorts. .. when it comes to the Gov nothing is really sealed.

thank you gentlemen i will keep you posted on my journey to arm myself. im sure i will have many more questions in the future and look forward to any responses.

Jon

norwood

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »
i also read on this forum somewhere it is recommended to take your firearms safety course after you have been received your letter of approval from the attorney general's office. Is there a specific reason for waiting?

the reason i ask is because i'm gonna sign up for a ccw class in PA with personal defense solutions. they offer the class, finger printing and passport photos in the same day and everything you need to apply for your non-resident florida and VA permits. So even if i get turned down by DE to conceal carry i can conceal carry when i take a drive to florida as it covers you as you drive through those southern states.

and i was wondering if i can use the same certification from the class mentioned above for my DE application?

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 11:46:40 AM »
The reason is if you get denied your not out the extra cash. Just so you know also, the finger prints you take in that class won't work for your DE application.

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 12:45:27 PM »
Less than 3 years (in my opinion) is not enough time between the DUI and getting a permit.  Basically, the courts are going to look for a pattern of "responsible" behavior..  i.e., a couple of speeding tickets are ok (none recent), but repeated tickets for going WELL over the speed limit, reckless driving, etc.  Those are going to hurt you.  How could you possibly handle a firearm responsibly when you can't even drive responsibly is what they will be asking themselves. 

Also, (again, just my opinion), but if you apply and get rejected, that makes it harder to get accepted the second time.  They'll dig up your old application and it might leave a bad taste in their mouth. 

I dont have any examples to back my opinion up, but to me, I know how the police department application process works, and I'm sure the courts are thinking the same thing when issuing such a permit. 

You might also give the prothonatary's office a ring and ask about it. 

I'd wait at least until the 5 year mark passed before I applied if I were you. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

norwood

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 03:01:39 PM »
i appreciate each and everyone's advice and opinions,

thank you

Jon

norwood

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 07:40:55 PM »
The reason is if you get denied your not out the extra cash. Just so you know also, the finger prints you take in that class won't work for your DE application.

well if that is the only reason then i don't mind having had paid and taken the course just for the educational purposes. if i get denied i'll just take what i learned from the course.  i have been shooting guns all my life but never really had much formal training except the hunters safety course i had to take when i was a kid to get my hunting license.

I might not waste my time with the course from PA. Instead i may search out (i think i saw it offered somewhere) a DE and Florida course somewhere in DE. From what i heard the non-resident FL permit is not hard to get and then at least i'm covered if i take a road trip south of here. Will have to check the map. Might have to get the VA permit too. 

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2009, 12:26:20 PM »
Norwood,

Be sure to check the timeline on things like paperwork, the course, fingerprints, publishing your affidavit, etc.  In DE there is a weird time line for all of these things.

It would suck to do any of them only to find out they have to be repeated, etc.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

norwood

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 10:05:57 PM »
thanks moosie,, Im not gonna argue with anyone nicknamed moosie =)

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 10:10:13 PM »
I don't blame you! and whatever you do, dont mention that you pool hopped anywhere below the canal!! ;D

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 10:14:48 PM »
ROFL!  That's for sure.  We'll get your fanny on video and plaster it on the news too.

Gun Envy, I still need to catch up with you.  I haven't forgotten!  Let me know when your free and I'll swing by.

Rebecca

norwood

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 10:23:43 PM »
pool hop? who needs that when you have the beach? although a tad nippy now. No im not joining the polar bear club either