Author Topic: Are CCDW permit holder's allowed to open carry?  (Read 10260 times)

dweber1188

Are CCDW permit holder's allowed to open carry?
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:17:39 AM »
I heard today that once a Delaware resident is issued a CCW permit, they are no longer allowed to open carry. The weapon must be concealed at all times. This does not make sense to me, can anyone validate this?

The reason I ask is that it is normal for me to open carry while walking my dog when coming home from work as the clothing I wear at work (a flightsuit) does not readily allow for concealed carry.

mrjam2jab

Re: Are CCDW permit holder's allowed to open carry?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 02:19:45 AM »
Many folks will equate this to the drivers license....when you get your drivers license does that mean you can no longer ride a bicycle?

;)
I'm not a gun nut.  I'm a 2nd Amendment enthusiast.

trevor

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 02:26:19 AM »
Nope, Not connected.

References:
This site: http://deccw.com/index.php?board=4.0
State Info: http://courts.delaware.gov/Courts/Superior%20Court/?weapons.htm
NRA's Info: http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/DESL.pdf

I'd ask the person for a published authoritative reference...and then look it up myself.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 02:56:36 AM »
problem is... I know atleast one instructor (the guy I went with) tells you in his class that you cannot open carry once you have your ccdw. And nowhere can I find that says either way, but its a license to carrry concealed, not a requirement. Its ashame we have people doing the classes and dont really have a desire to teach but to make a quick buck and go home.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

triangle172

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 04:43:06 AM »
I am a former cop. Many states....not 100% sure about Delaware( I worked for NJ)have laws regarding "brandishing" a firearm. These laws do apply to those with CCW permits in those states. They were formulated under the Model Penal Code upon which the criminal codes for most states are based.
The intent behind the laws is to prohibit threatening with a firearm. Difficult at best to enforce more difficult to successfully prosecute unless it was witnessed directly by a law enforcement officer. In which case, the problems would be a bit more immediate.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:50:32 AM by triangle172 »

wwd

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:03:07 PM »
Delaware is an open carry state.

A DE resident can ONLY CC in DE with a DE CCDW.

A DE non-resident can CC with a valid out-of-state CC permit, if that permit is with a state with whom DE has a reciprocal agreement.

OC vs CC?  One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.  It's that simple.

Once I get my CCDW (I'm in week 14 of the great CCDW wait), I'll continue to OC, and keep a CC backup.  I prefer OC.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 12:11:14 PM by wwd »
OC - the single greatest deterrent known to mankind.

firststatefirearms

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
problem is... I know atleast one instructor (the guy I went with) tells you in his class that you cannot open carry once you have your ccdw. And nowhere can I find that says either way, but its a license to carrry concealed, not a requirement. Its ashame we have people doing the classes and dont really have a desire to teach but to make a quick buck and go home.

Are you willing to give me the name of this instructor?  So everyone knows to use someone else.
An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

firststatefirearms

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 01:04:04 PM »
According to Past Attorney General Charles Oberly III, "As Delaware's attorney general, I frequently passed upon applications to carry a concealed weapon. I never understood why someone making night deposits felt safer with a concealed gun rather than carrying a holstered gun in plain view. Common sense would suggest a robber or mugger would be less likely to tangle with someone visibly carrying a weapon. Police carry their firearms openly".

How ever you do not give up the right to OC for the privlage to CC.

An armed citizen refuses to be a victim.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 03:34:55 PM »
To cya against being acused of making slandering statements or the like I would rather not say. However, I will say I took my class at delaware state pistol club thru a private instructor, spent $150 and only fired about 60 rounds. I only went with him because it was the second time I had taken the class (had taken one years ago but couldn't find the certificate) and because of other reasons I am very familiar with the states gun laws so I just wanted a quick cheap class.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

wwd

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »
Quote from: GunEnvy
...so I just wanted a quick cheap class.

You got what you paid for.

dweber1188

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »
its a license to carrry concealed, not a requirement.

That's what I figured. Thanks Everyone!

Docseuse

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »

Are there any local laws against OC?  O live in New Castle Cty.  Can I OC when walking the dog for example?

wwd

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 12:19:23 AM »
Search around the site, or someone else will chime in.  I think you cant OC on NCC parks, same with Newark. Tho' they're illegal ordinances, they have yet to be challenged that I know of.

Also, be careful of schools.  I think there's no state law, but the Feds have the 1000' thing.  IANAL (I am not a lawyer), so keep reading and researching.  I stay away from schools when OC'ing.  But on the road you cannot drive 5 minutes in NCC without passing by a school.  So just be aware.

Other than that, we OC all over.  Also check out DELOC.org, THE open carry site for DE.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:17:39 PM by wwd »

FIREFIGHTER7248

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 03:21:37 AM »
Anyone in Delaware can open carry legally as long as you are not a felon, but why pay for a ccdw then?
Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
Study your local laws. Dover for example is a city that does not allow open carry, unless you have a CCW permit.
There are towns and cities that do not allow open carry. It's your responsibility to know which ones.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun