Author Topic: HB-58 High Cap Mag BAN hearing- Wed. 5/1 @ 2:30 PM  (Read 34712 times)

Re: HB-58 High Cap Mag BAN hearing- Wed. 5/1 @ 2:30 PM
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2013, 08:51:36 PM »
  I suspect that we need to re-boot efforts to oppose HB-58, the High Cap Mag Ban.  The legislature returns for a final 2 week session.  This has been sitting idle, having come out of committee.  I don't think we can afford to "whistle down a dark alley" and hope that it never comes for a vote.  I expect a last minute push to pass this.
  Everyone needs to be calling their Representatives and making some noise, again.

Agreed, SHe is not my senator, but everyone needs to work on that Cloutier. She needs to know she will pay a price for her treachery. Yes its wrong what is supposed to have happened with those threats, but its no excuse to vote against the constitution and the people who put you into office.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

ThePixelated

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2013, 12:38:25 AM »
From the NRA-ILA:
http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/5/delawareyour-action-neededtwo-antigun-bills-awaiting-house-vote.aspx

Delaware: Your Action Needed! Two Anti-Gun Bills Awaiting House Vote

The General Assembly has been in recess, but will reconvene in Dover next Tuesday, June 4.  Two anti-gun measures are eligible for consideration by the House, and could be voted on as soon as next week.  Contact your state Representative and urge his or her opposition to House Bill 58 and House Bill 67!

House Bill 58, sponsored by state Representative John Mitchell Jr. (D-13), would prohibit the manufacture, sale, purchase, transfer or delivery of magazines with the capacity to accept more than ten rounds of ammunition.  Millions of rifles and tens of millions of handguns designed for self-defense and target shooting by law-abiding citizens use magazines that hold more than ten rounds.  If you need a gun for self-defense, should the government dictate how many rounds of ammunition you are allowed to use while defending yourself or another?  The answer is NO!  This type of proposed law has been proven ineffective at reducing violent crime, only affects responsible gun owners and must be stopped.  To get the facts on magazine capacity limits, click here.

House Bill 67, sponsored by Representative Darryl M. Scott (D-31), would create a "gun-free zone" around ALL school property – including vehicles and property owned, used, or rented by any public or private school.  This legislation will put firearm owners and concealed carry permittees at risk of arrest and felony prosecution by creating an un-navigable maze of legal technicalities and “gotcha” laws.
This overreaching bill fails to address any current crime problem, or ensure the safety of children.  Instead, it makes criminals out of legal gun owners who, for example, may just happen to be taking a walk in a park that the school has decided to rent for the day.  In this example, even if the person was unaware that this park where they walk every day was being used by the school - without warning - and the person was on the other side of the park where they could not reasonably be presumed to know that a school event was going on, they would still be subject to arrest and felony prosecution and would have no defense under this proposed law.

The ways in which House Bills 58 and 67 will negatively affect law-abiding concealed carry permit holders, gun owners and sportsmen in Delaware are immense.  It is clear that neither piece of legislation attempts to improve the safety of anyone – but are just politically motivated attacks on gun owners.  Call your state Representative immediately and demand their vote against HB 58 and HB 67.  Insist that your state lawmakers instead devote their efforts and resources to crafting laws that address actual crime problems - not laws that merely lay traps for unsuspecting and lawful gun owners.

Contact information for your state Representative can be found here.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2013, 02:21:45 AM »
E-mailed my Senator today.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2013, 03:34:07 AM »
I sent the following email regarding HB 67 to my rep who said he forwarded it to the bill's sponsor, Rep Scott.

In my opinion, an unamended HB 67 will keep the sheepdogs from protecting our school children.  I don't say this lightly, but your name is on the bill, therefore I will consider that you are responsible if, God forbid, a Sandy Hook occurs in Delaware.  Not only are you keeping the CCDW permits holders out of the School Zones, you are causing us to give the schools a wide berth to avoid an unintended felony.  Our church has a pre-school in it; are you limiting our options for protection of the congregation? Please amend the bill or vote it down.

I also spoke in opposition to HB 58 when it was being voted on be the committee. 
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2013, 05:12:49 AM »
I emailed, I know it does not good with rep George, smith or whatever she calls herself. I am hoping that Mcbride listens.

I know opinions vary on it, but I do think that mental health bill ( forget the number) where you can be stripped of gun rights without actually doing anything wrong is on a very dangerous slope. I am really surprised the nra supported it and supposed pro-gun reps did not put up more of a fight.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

robberbaron

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2013, 01:09:41 PM »
I just sent an email to my Rep. (Dennis Williams). Attached is the copy.

Dear Mr. Williams- I am writing to you to respectfully request that you vote NO on HB-57 and HB-67. In my opinion (and the opinion of numerous others), these bills will do nothing to make law abiding citizens safer and will actually empower criminals. Magazine capacity limits will only affect the law abiding "average Joe" and not the bad guys. By definition, criminals break the laws. By making concealed carry in "school zones" illegal, two immediate concerns come to mind: 1) The criminal now will be reasonably sure there will be no armed opposition and 2) the typical CCW citizen may stumble into a situation that makes them a felon. Both of these scenarios punish the law abiding members of society and bolster the actual felons. The criminals target the weak, not the strong.
I am a gun owner, permitted concealed carry citizen, constituent and I vote in every election, including primaries and have done so for nearly 40 years. I am concerned with my security and the security of my family and personal property.  I am in favor of stopping gun violence, but these bills will have no impact and will, in reality, substantially reduce my security. Please vote NO on these bills.

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2013, 06:08:49 PM »
The mental health bill is HB 88 which is now in the Senate Judiciary Committee.  It needs to be ironclad to avoid abuse. http://legis.delaware.gov/LIS/LIS147.nsf/vwLegislation/HB+88?Opendocument
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »
Only 1 more week to sweat the gunban bills before the current session is over. If not acted on by then they will be dead, unless they are reintroduced in the next session. Attention is now on the budget.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

ThePixelated

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2013, 01:17:08 AM »
Only 1 more week to sweat the gunban bills before the current session is over. If not acted on by then they will be dead, unless they are reintroduced in the next session. Attention is now on the budget.

Hopefully...

I've emailed my state rep several times and never recieved a response. I'm still writing to her. She's usually out at our polling place too every election. Next time I'm thanking her for infringing me 2nd Amendment rights for the other bills she's voted for, loudly. Hopefully I'll embarrass her in public.

anjdrifter

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
don't go after the criminals or enforce the laws. don't pay attention to real facts just use talking points and then make feel happy laws for  yourself. hey go after the defenseless citizens  ( yup us because we obey and respect the laws..) spend more time working on our budgets, economy,  and spending. how about the abuse in social programs.
Sussex county, NRA certified instructor -pistol-rifle- shotgun ,doj approved instructor

Tandem

« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »
  HB-58 has already passed the House of Representatives, so the battle moves to the Senate.  If Dennis Williams is your Rep, then Cathy Cloutier is probably your Senator.  She has NOT been voting in favor of gun rights, having voted for implementation of HB-35, the background checks and SB-16, the lost/stolen reporting.
  I'm increasingly concerned about her voting and hope to discuss those concerns, tonight, at the Northern New Castle County Republican meeting.
NRA Life Member
DE/PA CCDW Permit Holder

Tandem

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »
  My apologies, I was mistaken about HB-58 having passed the House.  It has been reported out of committee, only.
NRA Life Member
DE/PA CCDW Permit Holder

robberbaron

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »
When did HB-58 pass the house?

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2013, 10:19:50 PM »
I got a call from Harvey Kenton but unfortunately I am not allowed my cell phone at work so I did not get the call myself, it went to voice mail. He seems opposed to both these bills but he stated that he believes the "other side of the aisle" has enough votes to pass both bills.  It was not a pre-recorded message and I thought was decent of him to respond in person.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2013, 01:03:01 AM »
This was mainly in reply to HB35, which I know Markell already signed into law. Rebecca Long, 9th district.

Thank you for contacting me about your concerns regarding gun control legislation. There are several proposed bills that have yet to come before the full Delaware House of Representatives for a vote; legislation is proposed to limit magazine capacity, eliminate the right to possess a military-style weapon, limit rights to carry firearms near schools and require special reporting. I am a person who has raised her kids to respect weapons and have always had weapons in my home; my husband is a police officer, my daughter has participated in marksmanship events and my sons have hunted on our property. I have not supported and will not support these proposed bills.

House Bill 35 was the bill regarding background checks, and 11 amendments to this bill were introduced. I worked on four of these amendments with the NRA and other constituents. The fee was reduced, the information will be protected, the definition of family was expanded, and the term of borrow/transfer was extended to 14 days to allow organizations time to participate in longer events and use weapons efficiently. I worked hard to address the concerns raised.

I also want you to know that this background check protects us in that if the check is performed, I as the seller cannot be held civically liable for anything illegal that person does with that weapon after I sell my weapon. This bill actually expands my protection as a seller. I discussed these amendments with local gun owners, hunters, gun enthusiasts, and organizational members of other groups like Ducks Unlimited and local hunting groups. After these discussions, and the assurance that these concerns would be addressed and corrected, I was told by all these groups that voting for HB 35 would be okay; I promised that I would not vote for the bill if these amendments did not pass. The above mentioned amendments all passed, added protections for law-abiding citizens were ensured and I voted.

I informed as many of those who called or emailed me that I was considering voting for House Bill 35, and I kept my word to address multiple concerns. I will not vote for any other proposed gun bills; I assure you of that. Please contact me anytime; I really do try hard to compromise and meet the needs of all my constituents as best as possible.

Respectfully,

Rep. Rebecca Walker
9th District
New Castle County