General > Out of State Concealed Carry Information

Maryland Drops Good and Substantial Reason

(1/6) > >>

Clarence:
Governor Hogan today ordered the State Police to observe the US. Constitution and drop the “ good and substantial reason” for a “Wear and Carry” license. This has been THE stumbling block in the past

https://governor.maryland.gov/2022/07/05/governor-hogan-directs-maryland-state-police-to-suspend-good-and-substantial-reason-standard-for-wear-and-carry-permits/

The State Police website announcement:

https://licensingportal.mdsp.maryland.gov/MspBridgeClient/#/home

Seth:
As soon as I have some funds I am going to start looking to take the class and get this process going. Really looking forward to not having to worry about accidentally going into MD.

Clarence:

--- Quote from: Seth on July 05, 2022, 07:26:30 PM ---As soon as I have some funds I am going to start looking to take the class and get this process going. Really looking forward to not having to worry about accidentally going into MD.

--- End quote ---

Right you are Seth.  The Maryland classes are expensive.   $350 in Salisbury and $175 more if they set up your prints, pictures and paperwork.   I wonder if that is because the documentation for the “good and substantial” was so tricky?

SturmRugerSR9:
I still haven't seen anything indicating the will issue non-resident permits in Maryland, or accept out of state permits. If so, I'd like to see some documentation on that.

Did find this:
Gov. Larry Hogan has directed the Maryland State Police to suspend the state’s “good and substantial reason” standard for obtaining a permit to carry a concealed handgun in light of last month’s Supreme Court decision.

“It would be unconstitutional to continue enforcing this provision of state law,” Hogan said Tuesday in a statement. “There is no impact on other permitting requirements and protocols.”

Clarence:
Strum: Again, although Maryland does not recognize any other state permits, there is nothing in Maryland law that says a non resident cannot be issued a permit.  Actually non residents have been issued permits in the past for people who were able to articulate “a good and substantial reason”.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version