Author Topic: CDC Studies Wilmington, Delaware’s Gun Violence As Public Health Issue  (Read 6995 times)

MarkB

• Life Member
Here is a story about Wilmington violence from a Boston NPR radio station - WBUR.

http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2016/01/05/wilmington-gun-violence-cdc

Here is a copy of the report mentioned in the article.

http://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dms/files/cdcgunviolencereport10315.pdf

NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Cbmarine

• Life Member
  • III Marine Amphib Corps. My dad’s shoulder patch
Re: CDC Studies Wilmington, Delaware’s Gun Violence As Public Health Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:31:31 PM »
Recommendations in report focus on helping the individual miscreant rather than the typical 'ban all guns' approach. Individual behavior is the foundation of the data not the typical plight of the oppressed masses.
Just a smelly deplorable dreg of society clinging to God and guns.
New Castle County
_..  .  _._   _..  ..._ _  .  ._.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 10:36:49 PM »
I only skimmed  the report, but it looks like DE is near the bottom of the list per 100K.  I suppose that changes considerably when you only count Wilmington.  The assumption is that guns are a disease.  I know what the libs think is a cure, my guns.  I always thought that the problem was criminals, how foolish of me.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 10:43:24 PM »
Funny nobody looks at who commits the crimes. Guns don't commit crimes. People do. and who are the people committing the crimes? Well, I think we all know. If you can beg, or barrow a newspaper, just look at the police/crime section. Even if you can't read, you can see the pictures. You will never see a picture of a gun committing a crime. They are all committed by people. More people are assaulted with hammers, axes, bats, and knives that guns. So should we make it unlawful to own a hammer, axe, knife or bat?
It is already unlawful for people to commit crimes, I feel the problem are the District Attorney's and the Judges that let these people go. We just found out a week ago that 71% of gun crimes are pleaded down or dismissed. Therein lies the problem.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 11:05:40 PM »
Funny nobody looks at who commits the crimes...
Maybe I read the wrong CDC report or read the report wrong.  The emphasis of the CDC report is predicting future behavior based on the individual's past behavior.  Very little mention of guns, especially availabilty. 

Correct me, if misguided.
New Castle County

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 01:51:54 PM »
What does the headline say, guns/health.  Knowing the history of these investigation, I can tell you where it is headed.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

RetCapt1994

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 04:56:32 PM »
SturmRuger, I am very much with you on his one. The libs do not want to look at the problem closely because they are afraid of the results. Just look at the photos of the perps on TV or the newspapers. Yes the majority of the gun crimes are committed by blacks.  The failed justice system including the liberal courts and prosecutors contribute to the problem. I feel very sorry for the hard working decent folks that are prisoners in their homes after dark. Enough of this rant. All the best to everyone on this site.
Glock Armorer - Tavor Level One Armorer
It is all about bullet placement                          Carry permits, de ccw, and leosa/hr218  DELAWARE SUCKS----THE WORST STATE

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 05:22:19 PM »
Reminds me of the picture of a guy protesting a gun shop with a sign saying gun dealers kill people, then the 2A guy protesting the protester holding a sign that said spoons made me fat. My favorite 2A picture.
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Scratch Golfer

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 05:31:27 PM »

joep19934

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 11:28:49 PM »
ha ha ha  ;D
18 Day Turnaround
Kent County
NRA Member
DE/PA CCDW permits
BRIDGEVILLE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB Member
Delaware State Sportsman's Association

PPScarry

• Life Member
  • del ccdw license holder - NRA member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 11:53:01 PM »
Well done scratch golfer
"There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters. "
Noah Webster
 American Lexicographer

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »
I'm making me a sign!  When is the next 2nd Amendment rally?
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 12:18:17 PM »
One stark statistic seems to be missing. Nowhere in this report does it mention the effects of single parent households. The Risk Factor Chart does not mention single parent households. This is a tremendous oversight.

The breakdown of the nuclear family (father, mother, and children) has taken its toll on the crime rate.

Of course to bring up the topic of single parent families causes some of the blame to be pointed in the direction of the communities and the people themselves and in a victim oriented culture we cannot allow that.

This problem transcends racial lines however the rate of single parent families is significantly higher in black families,

According to the CDC’s National Vital Statistics Report, births to umarried women:
In 2010, these proportions were ……. 29 percent for non-Hispanic white, …….. and 73 percent for non-Hispanic black births.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_01.pdf

Here is what others are saying.

National Criminal Justice Research Service

The Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency reports that the most reliable indicator of violent crime in a community is the proportion of fatherless families. Fathers typically offer economic stability, a role model for boys, greater household security, and reduced stress for mothers. This is especially true for families with adolescent boys, the most crime-prone cohort. Children from single-parent families are more prone than children from two-parent families to use drugs, be gang members, be expelled from school, be committed to reform institutions, and become juvenile murderers. Single parenthood inevitably reduces the amount of time a child has in interaction with someone who is attentive to the child's needs, including the provision of moral guidance and discipline.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=167327

Cato Institute
According to one study, children raised in single-parent families are one-third more likely to exhibit anti-social behavior.(3) Moreover, O’Neill found that, holding other variables constant, black children from single- parent households are twice as likely to commit crimes as black children from a family where the father is present. Nearly 70 percent of juveniles in state reform institutions come from fatherless homes, as do 43 percent of prison inmates.(4) Research indicates a direct correlation between crime rates and the number of single-parent families in a neighborhood.(5)

http://www.cato.org/publications/congressional-testimony/relationship-between-welfare-state-crime-0

National Fatherhood Institute
Even after controlling for income, youths in father-absent households still had significantly higher odds of incarceration than those in mother-father families. Youths who never had a father in the household experienced the highest odds.
Source: Harper, Cynthia C. and Sara S. McLanahan. “Father Absence and Youth Incarceration.” Journal of Research on Adolescence 14 (September 2004): 369-397.

http://www.fatherhood.org/father-absence-statistics[/size]

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:25:19 PM by Hawkeye »

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Cbmarine

• Life Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »
One stark statistic seems to be missing. Nowhere in this report does it mention the effects of single parent households. The Risk Factor Chart does not mention single parent households. This is a tremendous oversight.

The breakdown of the nuclear family (father, mother, and children) has taken its toll on the crime rate.
Great observation, @Hawkeye.  Along with that is the lack of a moral compass.  Right and Wrong are now relative/situational rather than absolute. The Ten Commandments are considered too harsh. Our schools teach the Koran but ban the Bible.
New Castle County

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 05:15:54 PM »
The 10 Commandments are still absolute and not too harsh. Most Christians try to live by these rules abut no one is perfect. Muslims, do not believe in any of them so now you know where the problems lie.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County