Author Topic: Road trip  (Read 6488 times)

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Road trip
« on: January 21, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »
The little guy and I will be heading south to Virginia for a few days soon and of course have to drive through Maryland. No trunk for the MD travels so I bought a new Stack-On personal safe which I plan to place behind the rear seats in the back along with our luggage. We'll likely travel south down 13, through MD then into VA and across the tunnel! It's been a few years and looking forward to a trip back to VA. Might also visit WV for a day.

While traveling through MD (and not stopping!), I know the firearm must be empty so they will remain inside the 'safe' in the back....

Question: I'll place the firearms in the safe while going through MD and the mags and ammo in another separate container such as my suitcase. Should the mags be empty as well even if not with the firearm?

I haven't looked through the handgunlaw.us for WV however VA looks to be pretty CC friendly. Signs don't have force of law and I don't watch for signs anyways. I'll not be attending or visiting any schools or government buildings. The biggest thing I noticed was VA doesn't allow any alcohol consumption if carrying a firearm while in DE it is permitted. Not a big deal really but something for me to remember as I see no harm in sipping a beer while out for a meal here. ** I mean I'm Canadian and your beer here is almost water anyways...  ;D

Any words of advice or notes? I'll admit, just driving the 40 miles or so through MD doesn't sit well with me at all.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Re: Road trip
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 03:42:51 PM »
Being from Md. originally myself, I understand the problem. I seldom go there anymore due to their gun policies. I figure if someone there wants to see me bad enough, let them come here. Be safe, and have a good trip to VA.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

del elec

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 04:14:16 PM »
I would go with a locked case for the ammo and leave the mags unloaded.
[]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
------)_'_\ * (
"----------\ * \
"-----------\_*_\
Life NRA
Shooters Choice
Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
DE CCDW
PA LTCF
MD Wear & Carry

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:37:20 PM »
Del... You know that's not a bad idea and I do have another smaller Snap-on safe at home. I think I'll place the ammo and empty mags in one and the firearms in the other with our luggage between them and the privacy cover pulled across.

MD doesn't have any odd ammo restrictions do they like NJ and hollow points?

SR.. My condolences to your home state sir. It's pretty sad what's going on there but hopefully the future returns some sanity.

SteveMiller

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »
And also don't agree to a search without a warrant no matter how much they want to inconvenience you.
Steve Miller
DSSA
NRA Life Member
Gun Owners of America

ThePixelated

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 12:29:32 AM »
The little guy and I will be heading south to Virginia for a few days soon and of course have to drive through Maryland. No trunk for the MD travels so I bought a new Stack-On personal safe which I plan to place behind the rear seats in the back along with our luggage. We'll likely travel south down 13, through MD then into VA and across the tunnel! It's been a few years and looking forward to a trip back to VA. Might also visit WV for a day.

Take 113 south from Rt. 1 just north of Milford. Take it through Maryland and turn onto Rt. 13 S south of Pocomoke and then it's only another 10 minutes to the VA state line and a rest stop (VA). This little shortcut will shave some time off your trip south. Just obey the speed limit in MD. I rarely see cops on that part of 113 in MD, but you never know.

Have fun!

MarkB

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 02:33:10 AM »
Pixelated's route is good.  From what I've read, the real problem is on the western shore and DC.  I think the likelyhood of your getting stopped is very slim on this side of the bay but be careful anyway and watch for speed traps.  Have a copy of the Federal law that allows you to travel between two places with the guns.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A
NRA Benefactor Member
USCG, 1963-1967, GM-3

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 04:03:52 AM »
Yes, I printed that out 2 nights ago and is front page of my folder which remains on the passengers seat for the trip. Thanks :)

lynch

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 08:46:26 AM »
Del... You know that's not a bad idea and I do have another smaller Snap-on safe at home. I think I'll place the ammo and empty mags in one and the firearms in the other with our luggage between them....

I have 2 Stack-On safes in my pickup and I put ammo in one and the unloaded handgun in the other.

Q. Can I legally transport firearms interstate?
(From the MD State Police)
www.handgunlaw.us
A.
Yes, under Title 18, Section 926A, of the United States Code, a person who is not prohibited
from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm
for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to
any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the
firearm is unloaded, neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or
is directly accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case the vehicle does not have a
compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in
a locked compartment other than the glove
compartment or console.

Federal Law on Transporting Firearms:
§ 926A.
Interstate Transportation of Firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political
subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping,
or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he
may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry
such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any
ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment
of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the
driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove
compartment or console.

Note:
If you travel through MD with the firearm unloaded and secured you are covered under Federal law.
If you stop or interrupt your trip you then come under state law.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf
DE ccdw
PA  LTCF
Utah CFP
NRA member

Condition 1

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 11:19:36 AM »
I would store the magazines empty.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 08:52:11 AM »
Currently in Williamsburg, VA. Drove down Rt 113 without any issues aside from the bit of rain after dark. Stored the unloaded PPQ, PPK and the SP101, each in their own holsters, in the safe. All magazines and loaders were empty and stored alongside the ammo in my 100 year old strongbox which requires 2 keys to open. Both were packed in under the luggage, air bed, sheets, pillows, towels, kids books, board games, puzzles, a bicycle, 3 camp chairs and likely a few other items!... All under a rear privacy cover. I'm fairly certain this would hold up as being not readily accessible as it took me a good 10 full minutes just to get to them once in VA. Had printouts from handgunlaw.us for MD, VA and WV along with a printout of Federal Law 926A on top in a folder beside me.

Btw.. Saw a total of 3 LEOs coming down 113. One was parked at the roadside southbound, who I watched in my rear view mirror as far as I could after passing. The other two were both traveling northbound. Cruise control set at speed limit and watching for posted speed signs. Note I noticed 2 locations where TomTom GPS displayed 55mph yet posted road signs had drooped down to 40 so don't reply on your gps but watch for the road signs!

Enjoying a few days here before returning. Need to find a decent hotel for a night somewhere back in southern DE on our return trip with a pool for the little guy.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »
Maryland law does not require the magazines to be empty.  They may not be in the gun however.  
The gun must be in an enclosed box or holster.  

You are certainly good if the gun is in a locked box. The ammo being separate is also not required in Maryland but probably a good idea.  

Maryland is like New Jersey and Pennsylvania in that unless you have a carry license, you may not have a handgun in a vehicle. Exceptions are made if unloaded and cased for going to a range, gun store, moving, etc.  

FOPA would only exempt you if traveling through that state.  It cannot be your destination.  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:52:49 PM by Clarence »
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

kent

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »
OK, your traveling from Delaware going to Virginia or another state and as you travel through Maryland you decide to stop and eat, get gas, or use the restroom. Because you are not on a direct route to your destination (Va.), if you are stopped you could get arrested for carrying a concealed deadly weapon. This same issue has been discussed elsewhere in this forum.
NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER
DSSA LIFE MEMBER
KENT COUNTY

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 09:45:51 PM »
OK, your traveling from Delaware going to Virginia or another state and as you travel through Maryland you decide to stop and eat, get gas, or use the restroom. Because you are not on a direct route to your destination (Va.), if you are stopped you could get arrested for carrying a concealed deadly weapon. This same issue has been discussed elsewhere in this forum.
Because you stop to get gas, eat or even stay in a motel, these are incidental to traveling through the state.  Key is that the gun stays in the vehicle, unloaded, locked up and out of reach. 

None of these protections under the FOPA can stop a determined policeman from arresting you for violating state law. You will be able to cite this in court and you should win.

Federal courts have ruled that FOPA does NOT cover you outside of the vehicle.

Some jurisdictions like New York City have been known to arrest, confiscate and then drop the charge.  Citizen is out legal fees and they play hell getting their gun back.  Google the Greg Revel case from Nee Jersey.

I have taken guns on plane from BWI airport and had no trouble.

I have not heard of citizens with unloaded guns passing thorough Maryland being arrested. But it could happen.

DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.