Author Topic: did anyone's refrences ever actually get called?  (Read 8143 times)

Tonym

did anyone's refrences ever actually get called?
« on: April 30, 2015, 12:32:29 AM »
Just wondering. I filled out my name on someones app who got approved but i was never called.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
Re: did anyone's refrences ever actually get called?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 12:39:25 AM »
Just wondering. I filled out my name on someones app who got approved but i was never called.
I've never been called either.  I think they do check you out though.  I know someone who got a call and they were told to get another reference. One was not good.
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

Tonym

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 12:43:30 AM »
Well thats good. At least theres something happening over the 6 months. I wasnt sure if they were just kept on file incase i shot someone and they wanted to question people about me after the fact

CorBon

• Life Member
  • The Revolution starts in your heart...
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 01:07:42 AM »
They seem to do a fairly thorough job of checking things, even employers -- without ever calling anyone.  As far as the time, it has ALWAYS taken forever to get the process completed.  The only thing that I can think of is that they are hoping that you die -- just so that they can keep the money.  I hate to compare the two, but -- it's funny how quickly you can get approved for a credit card while you stand at the checkout register, but with the permit -- you're hair goes from dark brown to grey while waiting for either the initial approval or each renewal. 
Very few guns are actually "illegal guns."  A gun misappropriated by a criminal is no more of an "illegal gun" than a stolen car is an "illegal car."

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 01:06:11 PM »
I had several permit holders, one of which was a retired Major of the DSP, on my app.  I felt safe on all of them.  Don't know if any were called.  I have heard of apps being rejected for references with criminal records, so they must get checked somehow.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Tonym

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 05:49:56 PM »
I guess that brings up another point. If they have some dark past from decades ago and felt ashamed to tell me and filled the refrence form out anyway, that could really suck.

fish0123

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 01:56:34 AM »
They didn't call my references but they called me! I was summoned to a hearing because I was 21 when I first applied for my permit.

rikwick

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 11:24:06 AM »
None of my references were called.  3 out of the 5 already posessed cc permits.  Perhaps that helped?

Tonym

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 03:44:42 PM »
Was that really the only reason, that you were 21? Thats just foolish.

fish0123

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 06:12:40 PM »
Was that really the only reason, that you were 21? Thats just foolish.

Supposedly the judge that is making the final decision as to whether you get the permit or not has the right to summon anyone he/she wishes to a hearing. I can't think of any other reason why I had to go to a hearing because I had no criminal history whatsoever, not even a speeding ticket. All of my documents/reasons/classes etc etc were perfect too.

Tonym

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »
So what goes on at the hearing? Quick chat to make sure youre not some wierdo? Did you bring a lawyer?

fish0123

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »
No I didn't bring a lawyer. It lasted like 5 minutes. I think the judge just wanted to see me face to face to make sure I wasn't some yo-boy thug or something. I was in an empty court room with the judge and an armed guard. The judge said stuff like "you can't go out drinkin with your buddies and carry" and stuff like that. I just dressed nice and said yes sir and nodded my head and it was painless.

29thInfantry

• Life Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »
No I didn't bring a lawyer. It lasted like 5 minutes. I think the judge just wanted to see me face to face to make sure I wasn't some yo-boy thug or something. I was in an empty court room with the judge and an armed guard. The judge said stuff like "you can't go out drinkin with your buddies and carry" and stuff like that. I just dressed nice and said yes sir and nodded my head and it was painless.

So did the judge issue you your permit?
NRA Member
US Army Vet.
Delaware CCDWP
PA LTCF
Child of God

fish0123

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 11:25:08 PM »

So did the judge issue you your permit?

Yes

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 06:33:39 AM »
They didn't call my references but they called me! I was summoned to a hearing because I was 21 when I first applied for my permit.

Thats messed up since you can get a CCDW in DE at the age of 18. Per DE state law § 1441 one must be a "person of full age" which is defined in § 701 as being 18 years of age. My CCDW course instructor received his CCDW at 18 as well.

Glad to hear the judge did grant you your CCDW afterwards.