Author Topic: Question about obtaining a CCW?  (Read 7453 times)

thrwbck77

Question about obtaining a CCW?
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:04:57 AM »
Hello I first want to state that I have though about obtaining a permit for some time. This post might be a little long I apologize beforehand.

I understand that a person can, and usually is denied for previous background issues.(That may or maynot have been taken care of)

My question is: If applying for a CCW; having been pardoned for a crime that was committed over 10 years ago when I was 18, what would be the chance of approval?(No was not a violent crime, Was not Drug or alcohol related. I have had a clean criminal record, and driving record besides the one charge that was pardoned.)

Reason for CCW would be that my work has me in contact with criminals on a regular basis; the chance of retaliation while at work, or not at work is much higher then the average person. I have had issues when running into people randomly on the street luckily none have turned violent at this point.(Talked briefly with one of the officers; during one of the incidents, and he said could not hurt to try and apply).

Also when applying for a CCW permit, and it asks about the criminal history. Would you answer in the same manner; as when purchasing a firearm after a pardon, and saying no to committing a crime?

Any insight into this from current CCW holders that might know an answer would be appreciated.

Radnor

• Administrator
  • Life Member
  • New Castle Co.
Re: Question about obtaining a CCW?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 12:14:50 PM »
I would contact the investigator and run your background past him.
If you need a contact, let me know.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
CRSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection In and Outside The Home, Home Firearm Safety, & Reloading.

Knowledge, skills, & experience have value. If you expect to profit from someone's you should expect to pay.

thrwbck77

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 04:06:32 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I PM'ed you about the information.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »
Not sure if I'd use that reason on the application though. Keep it simple and still entirely valid... For the protection of myself, family and property. The reason is still there "protection of self" however without the additional risk may you have. Giving additional information, as I've found in the past, is not always wise.

thrwbck77

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 12:12:23 AM »
I was just filling out my application. I have a question about one section.

I have previously been granted a pardon, and wanted to know if you check Yes or NO to the Felony question? (I know when completing a background check when purchasing a firearm that after a pardon; you check as no you have not committed a felony.)

I wanted to know if it was the same for the CCW forum, or would you check yes; because even though it is pardoned it is not off of your record? 

rikwick

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:55:24 AM »
From what I understand a pardon does not expunge your criminal record. A pardon becomes part of your criminal record.  Different states may have different rules regarding this, but to my thinking you would have to answer the question with a yes.  A pardon is merely a restoration of your civil rights.

thrwbck77

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
From what I understand a pardon does not expunge your criminal record. A pardon becomes part of your criminal record.  Different states may have different rules regarding this, but to my thinking you would have to answer the question with a yes.  A pardon is merely a restoration of your civil rights.

Yeah thanks; I do understand that part of it, and just wanted a second opinion.  I know when filling out the background check for purchasing a firearm it tells you specifically: if you have been pardoned check No. So just wanted to double check. Thanks for the input.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »
Suggest you call the Attorney Generals office and speak to someone there (and get their name) before you apply. They will end up the deciding factor. Don't be afraid to ask them, the worst they can say is no.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

thrwbck77

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 03:51:50 AM »
Suggest you call the Attorney Generals office and speak to someone there (and get their name) before you apply. They will end up the deciding factor. Don't be afraid to ask them, the worst they can say is no.

Yeah thanks: will do... I call them, or they call me several times a month anyways lol.

Clarence

• Life Member
  • Liberty and Independence
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 04:25:40 AM »
While it is correct that a pardon stays on your record, it should mean that the conviction cannot be used against you.  I do not know if it is possible to have an expungement. That would wipe your record clean.

I would answer yes and I parenthesis state: PARDONED
DE MD PA VA FL ccw. NRA Life Member. DSSA member. Sussex County

Quod non me necat me fortiorem facit.

rikwick

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 08:21:48 PM »
All a pardon is is a restoration of civil rights, it certainly is not an "as if it never happened".  The charge and the conviction will always remain on one's record.   Meaning it can still be used against a person.  Since DE is a may issue state, a pardon may or may not sway the judge to make a favorable ruling as to receiving a permit to carry.  It most certainly can still be used as a determining factor.  If we were a shall issue state it would be different. 

SweetPete

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 05:38:23 PM »
Just my $.02 - Answer as honestly as possible, whatever you feel this to be. I wouldn't trust a simple phone call to just anyone though. You'll most likely just get someone's opinion. If denied, you can appeal within 10 days (I believe) and explain your situation. The application process is fairly pricey, especially if denied and you have to eat everything you paid for. I took the training course after applying. They sent me a letter saying my approval was pending and I had 30 days to submit my training certification. This is a fairly common practice from others too. I then paid the $100+ dollars for the training. First State Firearms Training got me right in and I actually personally picked up my certificate from them instead of waiting for it to be mailed. If my memory's correct, it was the next day.

64Falconguy

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 12:45:17 AM »
I feel that applying first in this case may be the best move. I went through and took my course and had everything ready, only to be denied due to something on my medical record.

thrwbck77

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 03:51:27 AM »
Just my $.02 - Answer as honestly as possible, whatever you feel this to be. I wouldn't trust a simple phone call to just anyone though. You'll most likely just get someone's opinion. If denied, you can appeal within 10 days (I believe) and explain your situation. The application process is fairly pricey, especially if denied and you have to eat everything you paid for. I took the training course after applying. They sent me a letter saying my approval was pending and I had 30 days to submit my training certification. This is a fairly common practice from others too. I then paid the $100+ dollars for the training. First State Firearms Training got me right in and I actually personally picked up my certificate from them instead of waiting for it to be mailed. If my memory's correct, it was the next day.

Yeah I have everything ready for the application, just need to get the reference's(All said they would fill it out already, so basically done), background check(I go to troop 2 several times a month for work anyways), and post in the paper.

The money isn't the biggest issue, but would suck to wast all the money for no reason. I called the people in the AG office i usually work with, and they said they would forward my question...So now just waiting for an Email back.

I already planed on taking the course after i submitted my application, but thanks for the advice.

thrwbck77

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 03:56:05 AM »
I feel that applying first in this case may be the best move. I went through and took my course and had everything ready, only to be denied due to something on my medical record.

Yeah thanks will do, and sorry to here about that.

Looks like ill just be open carrying until i find out if i can get a CCW.