Author Topic: Reporting Lost & Stolen Firearms (SB16)  (Read 3369 times)

groundgrid

• Life Member
Reporting Lost & Stolen Firearms (SB16)
« on: October 12, 2013, 05:07:19 PM »
The following link is to a letter from California Gov. Jerry Brown who just vetoed a similar law in his state.

I suggest that we all send a copy to those who worked to enact SB16 into law and ask them why such a
prominent Democrat governor could see that it is worthless while our legislators could not.

http://gov.ca.gov/docs/SB_299_2013_Veto_Message.pdf

This is a great opportunity to rub in that last session's legislative efforts were a total waste of time and are
not to be repeated in 2014.

Further information regarding Gov. Brown vetoes is also available here:

http://www.firearmspolicy.org/2013/10/ca-gov-jerry-brown-vetoes-sb-374-semi-auto-gun-ban-others/

Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

Re: Reporting Lost & Stolen Firearms (SB16)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 01:53:56 AM »
that "lady" who turned out to be the vote that allowed it to go in place simply needs to be replaced. I dont care if they threatened her family. That was wrong, but so if voting for it to spite people.
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"

Capnball

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:55:09 PM »
Not exactly on topic but I thought I'd share some of foolish time wastes that are connected with reporting a stolen firearm. A few years ago I suffered a break in at my home. Thieves stole the usual electronics, some junk and were able to get to 2 of my long guns, that were waiting for some maintenance and were not in the safe (my fault) I reported the break-in as soon as it was discovered. The LEO that came to the house was cordial but not real interested in doing any investigation. I gave him the descriptions and serials from the guns stolen and he said that if they were ever recovered, that I would be called regarding them. Each year since the break-in I have received a call from the State Police to ask if I have recovered the stolen guns. I've not said it out loud, but you think to yourself - "Sure.... I tracked the thieves down and got back my guns after a lengthy gun battle, giving the criminals the just punishment they deserve", like some Hollywood movie. In the real world you're more likely to win the lottery than to ever see your stolen property again. The person that has to make these calls to satisfy some ATF listing requirement I feel sorry for - I'm sure there is some actual productive work that she'd rather be doing.

As for these reporting laws - Lets see if this makes sense...... the honest citizen loses his property to some waste of DNA criminal and if the honest citizen doesn't report it when the great and powerful overlords deem appropriate, then it is the honest citizen that receives a punishment on top of losing his hard earned property Hmm...... Stalin would be proud and wonder why he didn't think of it first.

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:43:16 PM »
Often you can do more yourself to recover stolen property than the police can. A friend of mine had a gun stolen. In addition to the police he sent  the description & serial number to every FFL licensee & pawn shop within about 50 miles of Wilmington. These are all honest business people & know that they will get into a lot of trouble handling stolen merchandise.

About 2 weeks later he got a call from a nearby shop in PA where the gun was left for sale on consignment. While the perpetrator never showed his
face again, my friend got back his $1000 + rifle by doing only a couple of hours worth of "investigating". While this usually doesn't happen, it does highlight that recovering stolen firearms is not a priority for the police.

Yet another reason why more gun laws will be ineffective. I don't know what DSP does to recover stolen merchandise. One would think that an automatically generated e-mail sent to potential outlets would recover at least a small percentage. How about a web site that lists description and serial numbers for stolen guns?
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
Maybe the dems and one republican in the Delaware senate that supported this should also focus on people selling or reporting when they lose their ebt cards. There is far more fraud and unlawful transaction with those than guns and ebt is not protected by the constitution unless you are an activist.

I forget the name of the grocery store. I think it was four apples or something. It is in Wilmington near the bus station. It is a shop rite now. A friend of my wife  wanted to go there to shop ( long story but she is a friend and a pretty good person down on her luck). Anyway we are going into the place and at least 5 people came up to us asking "You wanna buy some food stamps" I informed him "No and your (censored) a## is not supposed to be selling them. THey are for you and your kids to eat"
"We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts"