Author Topic: Awesome Security System (besides your CCW)  (Read 6289 times)

glockblocker

Awesome Security System (besides your CCW)
« on: January 06, 2014, 03:39:41 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is an additional option for you and your family while away from your house and home!!  Lifeshield is a great security system i just purchased and works like none other, the system is completely wireless and easy to setup.  You can also purchase cameras (indoor n outdoor), look in on them live from anywhere, also not just do the doors and windows but you can arm your gun cabinet, liquor cabinets, and will alert you when someone enters the home through email and or text message.  So many ways to set and customize this system.  If you go online, you can also view crime in and around the surrounding areas, it shows everything crime from simple assault to murders/killings, to vandalism.  Just throwing this out there for another tool for the tool box. I do not work for nor get commission for sales, just letting y'all know ;D ;D ;D

Stay Safe
http://www.lifeshield.com

jstgsn

• Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.
Re: Awesome Security System (besides your CCW)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »
When we moved downstate I called Security Inc. (securityinc.net ) as they are a local company that has been around since the 80's. (phone 302-652-5276)   I have wireless sensors and more importantly a wireless smoke detector monitored by a central station.  I had one sensor go bad and they came by the house and replaced it immediately.  I've been very happy with their service.  The system kept one unwanted relative from cleaning us out and the smoke detector gives peace of mind.   ;D

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:28:12 AM »
The first week we bought our house I called and ordered an alarm system from FrontPoint Security. Its entirely wireless and cellular based. It was delivered 2 days later to my door in a box with all the panels and sensors I requested. Most homes have nowhere near the number of sensors I have and you don't need this many however this was what I wanted. Installation of the main panel, secondary panel and yes 38 sensors and devices for exterior doors, garage doors, windows, smoke, heat, water, carbon monoxide, safes, etc took about 90 minutes and can be done by anyone. A single panel, exterior doors, assessable first floor windows and smoke and heat detectors, which is what most people go with, can be setup in about 30 minutes. Once you have your sensors installed a short call into FrontPoint to test everything and your done. I run my own video but they do offer it also. Door locks, lights, etc can also be setup for remote access through wireless devices like your phone, tablets, etc. They also offer different zones where sensors can be armed, monitored and send notifications in various ways. I believe the basic home setup was $99 to order and I think we pay $36 a month iirc. I paid extra for the extra sensors but they were cheaper to buy at time of system purchase then to add later. Overall I've been very happy with it, their service and the low cost.

We have had a few accidental alarms, mostly by our 3 year old, and our phone rang each time about 90 seconds afterwards asking if everything was OK and for the secret phrase. Police were never dispatched.

Please Note: DELAWARE STATE POLICE FALSE ALARM REDUCTION PROGRAM

If you have an alarm system it should be registered. When I did it I had to send it in via mail but it can now be done online. If the alarm goes off and the police are dispatched you face a civil penalty fine.

Stay safe

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 05:09:44 PM »
Funny you mentioned this. I was at my daughter 's house the other day and she had a new security system put in by Comcast Xfinity that hooks to her computer, ipad and phones. It is a wireless system with motion sensors all over the house and on every door. I didn't even know the were in to security systems. Pretty cool. TV/Internet/Phone/Security all in one.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
I'll admit having a child brought security to mind for me. I kinda feared the cost of the system, install and monthly rates but they are really affordable these days to most anyone.

I know 3 families who bought the FrontPoint system for their daughters in university dorms. A main panel, a door and window sensor and a panic fob. Piece of mind against stolen property and the panic button for those moments we hope never happen. All 3 girls also were given a 'nannycam' style teddybear in case someone does happen in. I thought it was a great idea.

Another nice thing is if you move you simply pack up the system and move it to your new location. There really isn't a reason to not have a system these days.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 03:41:19 PM »
I have TV, Internet, and Phone from Xfinity. They also make a home security system, but I have my own security system. You see I live in the country, and it is just the wife and I. No one else has any reason to be coming into our house uninvited, night or day. That being said, that's where my SR9 and a whole lot of 9MM hollow points come in to play. A security system can't follow you to a store, or if you are out for a walk, or on the tractor cutting grass, but my SR9 is always there, loaded and ready.
They say "guns kill people". My gun has never killed anyone, and it won't, unless I activate it. And I will if I,  my wife , or property are threatened. Take that to the bank.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

jstgsn

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:24:05 PM »
I have TV, Internet, and Phone from Xfinity. They also make a home security system, but I have my own security system. You see I live in the country, and it is just the wife and I. No one else has any reason to be coming into our house uninvited, night or day. That being said, that's where my SR9 and a whole lot of 9MM hollow points come in to play. A security system can't follow you to a store, or if you are out for a walk, or on the tractor cutting grass, but my SR9 is always there, loaded and ready.
They say "guns kill people". My gun has never killed anyone, and it won't, unless I activate it. And I will if I,  my wife , or property are threatened. Take that to the bank.

I'm sure your home is safe, while you are there.  I don't imagine your property is safe from burglar or fire when you are not there.   My monitored smoke detector let us know a furnace wire had shorted and melted while we slept. The siren woke us and the alarm company called to make sure we were ok.   (The alarm company would have dispatched the fire department if we weren't there.)  Just saying. 
Plus we get a discount on our homeowners for having the system!

JayClark79

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:34:25 PM »
We have home security from Comcast and its pretty nice...With pets and a little one we really couldnt take advantage of the motion sensors... So we opted for extra door alerts, and a glass break sensor which really just reads loud noises... like the crashing of broken glass... or silverware slamming into the sink  ::) lol

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 10:35:13 PM »
Jtsgsn.. I agree. When we are all home sure its nice that its not needed but it also give us panic buttons directly to the monitoring station 2 the police, fire, EMTs. If someone gets in when the alarm is off we done need to run to the phone and dial 911. I have a couple panic buttons for the wife or I to use. I also travel and its nice knowing that the wife, while knowing how to use a firearm and carries it, still has the security system.

Besides.. I'll take a bad guy breaking my window being greeted to an alarm over me having to pull and possibly shoot any day or night of the week! If the alarm doesn't make them turn away I have my defenseless 3 year old son and wife to think about.. Bad guy wants to leave. Any parent should understand that.

jstgsn

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 01:52:22 AM »
I truly do not want to say anything disparaging about anyone's ability to protect their home, but let me be honest.  There are times when you just can't be there, or you are sound asleep.  And there are times when it helps to have someone looking out for you.  Fires can take everything from you, and they mostly start with a little bit of smoke, like smoldering wires, or something small. Years ago while living on 39th St. in Wilmington I had three young children.  Each night we would put them to bed and shut their doors.  One night through the grace of God I checked on two of my sons and found a room full of smoke.  An outlet had begun to smolder because of dust.  Had I not checked I could have lost my wonderful children.  Smoke detectors save lives, monitored smoke detectors save property and lives.  I'd much rather have one fireman bust through my door and enter a smoke filled house than a hundred firefighters come to my home when it is an inferno.  Without the monitored alarm, no one reports the house full of smoke, the neighbors only call when there is a cloud of smoke in the sky, if they call at all. 
Seriously, consider paying for an alarm company to monitor your home.  It's insurance that prevents problems. 
end of rant.  forgive me, but I'm serious about this stuff.   

groundgrid

• Life Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 04:26:04 AM »
A few secrets about the security industry:

There is a HUGH profit margin on the monthly monitoring fees. If you own your system equipment, monitoring is available for less than $10.00/month.
Controlling your alarm from a smartphone is usually sold as a premium service, again, if you own the equipment both monitoring & smartphone control should not cost over $15.00/month.

Most importantly, never pay for the privilege of remotely watching your security cameras.
All of the camera systems sold at BJ's, Costco, Tiger Direct etc. include a free smartphone app. 4 camera systems cost between
$200 & $250 including the cameras, recorder & some wire. The recorder connects to your Internet & is accessible via the free phone apps.
Some of the recorders include the ability to be connected to a motion detector that will trigger them to send you a text message.

IMO, the cameras are more valuable than having a security system. It typically takes the police a considerable amount of time to respond to an alarm. The bad guys know this are are usually long gone by the time the cops arrive. With the cameras, the police can identify the culprit & the AG's office gets a slam dunk conviction (considering of course that you don't get home while they are still there).

If anyone wants more info on do-it-yourself options feel free to PM me.
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

seniorgeek

• Life Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 02:38:33 PM »
I agree with Groundgrid. Easy to set and and easy to maintain. Mine is set up with a motion detector to save storage space and irrelevant video.
Android phone app works well too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NRA Member
Combat Veteran
Southeastern Sussex County

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
After watching many YouTube videos on security cameras, I finally decided on the Dropcam HD, seen here: https://www.dropcam.com
I ordered this HD camera, but it has not arrived yet. The HD version of the camera is $199, and the non HD is of course less expensive ($149 I believe). It wirelessly connects to your wifi. You can watch the live video anytime via the web or free app. However if you want to peer into the past, you have to subscribe to their recording service, which is $100 a year. I did not buy the subscription yet, as it arrives with a free trial. It's an indoor camera, and I will have it in a window looking at my front door and driveway. The night vision will be worthless, as the IR illuminations won't work thru a window, according to the website FAQ.

I'll let you know how it is. At worst I can turn it around and watch my dogs sleep while I'm at work....
I have no affiliation with dropcam. This is the first security camera I've ever purchased.

My sister lives in a wooded neighborhood in Florida, and was having issues with a neighbor. Their 20 year old son was turfing their front yard with his monster truck, and also driving up and down their rear fence, terrorizing their dogs. The police would go talk to them, but they would deny it. She paid thousands for a full system with many cameras and a DVR connected to a dedicated computer. Then she handed the police a tape. Don't remember if there was an arrest, or fine, etc, but all the problems stopped.
New Castle County