Author Topic: 3D METAL printers-now available for under $2,000.00  (Read 4462 times)

groundgrid

• Life Member
3D METAL printers-now available for under $2,000.00
« on: December 13, 2013, 03:26:35 AM »
Well, I guess that technology moves much faster than it used to. I figured at least 5-10 years to get down to this price range:

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2013/12/09/michigan-tech-releases-open-source-3d-metal-printer-less-2000/

We seem to have skipped a few stages with this one. I suspect that these will be the "in" Christmas gift by next year.
Will be nice to have the kids make their own toys. Also will come in handy when the mall has another power failure.

Once they combine a plastic printer with the metal printer & a 3D scanner as an "all-in-one" machine we will be just a few steps
away from a Star Trek style replicator. Working in brass would be really nice next ammo shortage.

Another link, includes materials list, parts sources & basic assembly instructions:

http://www.appropedia.org/Open-source_metal_3-D_printer

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:36:31 AM by groundgrid »
Here’s the real issue: when your religion is government, and government is god, you cannot tolerate any other God before it
(The reason why Liberal/Progressives have waged a war on Christianity)

Just Bill

• Life Member
Re: 3D METAL printers-now available for under $2,000.00
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 03:20:18 PM »
Of course, now that it is illegal to produce firearms on this technology, we should all feel safer...........??????  When are they going to understand that bad guys do not obey laws???  It is the same thing with locks on a house, they are for honest people.  I can get in almost any house in a few seconds.

Bill
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 04:05:39 PM »
Just thinking out loud. Why would a person go to the expense of buying a 3D metal printer and material to make a gun, unless they were prohibited from buying one , or intended on selling guns illegally? You can legally buy good guns for $500-$1000 dollars with warranty and service, at most any gun store. I don't get it.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Morder Chemiker

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 05:11:30 PM »
Just thinking out loud. Why would a person go to the expense of buying a 3D metal printer and material to make a gun, unless they were prohibited from buying one , or intended on selling guns illegally? You can legally buy good guns for $500-$1000 dollars with warranty and service, at most any gun store. I don't get it.

Confiscation by the government, if and when it gets to that point it would/will be a great way to arm people to overthrow the government.

Just Bill

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »
If terrorists wanted a gun that could sneak thru security checks, cheap way to make them.
NRA Cert. Instructor Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun
NRA Lifer
NRA RSO
DE/PA CCDW permits
AGI certified gunsmith--Cowboy Action/1911/Glock/rifle/pistol/shotgun/rimfire
AGI Firearms Appraiser/FFL 01
AGI certified Master Gunsmith

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
It's not illegal to make firearms with this technology as long as there is something like 4.7oz of metal inside, which is easy to do. That's been on the books for 20 years iirc.. Just been extended for another 10.

Strum.. A lot of people are playing with this and its a great thing. Advancing the technology is important. You can actually buy some plastic printers for as little as 500$ now which can produce smaller parts like sights, triggers, etc.

Within 10 years a plastic 3D printer will be found in most homes. Lots of home shops and garages will have metal 3D printers within 15 years I'd say but will still be too expensive for many years after that for most people.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 11:36:07 PM »
Making plastic guns has already been made a felony, just about 2 weeks ago. A plastic gun is usually only good to shoot a few rounds before it self destructs. Wouldn't it be better to spend the $500 on a real gun? And, how many manufactured guns can you buy with $2000.00? Which is jus the cost of the 3D metal printer, not including the materials?
I certainly don't think people are going to make enough little guns in their basement or shops to take down a government. That movement would be stopped before it got started. I know the though of it makes somer feel bold and manly, but really? I mean REALLY?
That would be asling for the Gobermint to stop all ammo.

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 12:40:49 AM »
Making plastic guns has already been made a felony, just about 2 weeks ago. A plastic gun is usually only good to shoot a few rounds before it self destructs. Wouldn't it be better to spend the $500 on a real gun? And, how many manufactured guns can you buy with $2000.00? Which is jus the cost of the 3D metal printer, not including the materials?
I certainly don't think people are going to make enough little guns in their basement or shops to take down a government. That movement would be stopped before it got started. I know the though of it makes somer feel bold and manly, but really? I mean REALLY?
That would be asling for the Gobermint to stop all ammo.

Yes making a 100% plastic gun is a felony and has been since 1988 and the Undetectable Firearms Act, which is what was just extended this month. The act requires all firearms (which includes 3D printed firearms) to have at least 3.7oz of steal. Some wanted to amend the Act specifically to include banning 3D printed firearms but that didn't happen thankfully. Personally IMO its a brilliant Act and is pointless. If someone wants to make one to cause harm they are going to do it regardless of the law.. as we all know. You are correct in the 100% plastic firearms are usually only single use and are destroyed on use. Still, you can print your own AR lower, install a kit in it, add a stock and upper and be legal. (Note: you can't sell a homemade firearm! If you no longer want it it must be turned in or destroyed.)

Wouldn't it be better... Yes and No! Right now for most people yes but.. It's called innovation. Without it we'd still be in the stone ages. With clubs and stones. 3D printing firearms has a ton of uses and a lot of money is being tossed at it right now. It's success has been proven and its been moved to 3D printed metal firearms now. One company has successfully printed a fully printed 1911 that's had several 1000 rounds put through it by now. They published a video showing it being used and passed to people at a range for the day in addition to them putting 1000 rounds through it that day. That's what the plastic printing has led to.

Btw.. Glock is the reason for the Undetectable Firearms Act and the fear people had over this 'new' plastic gun back in the mid/late 80s.

I didn't say everyone would be printing plastic guns in 10 years. Most people in 10 years from now will have one of these for several other reasons. Making kids toys for example, utensils, bags, guitar pics, straws, sex toys, etc. All these items already have downloadable plan/files available online today.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:44:04 AM by Adrenolin »

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 02:23:07 PM »
I remember back in the 50's, yes I'm that old, when people, mostly in gangs, use to make guns of very simple materials. They were called "Zipguns". Maybe some of the "older" guys and gals will remember that.
all you needed was a base, a barrell, and some kind of mechanizim to triger the firing pin, and you had a "Zipgun". They were also popular in prisons, or so I'm told, ya understand? Saw it on the TV, don't ya know?

DECCW Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative