Author Topic: Uh Oh.  (Read 10886 times)

Grebnehtor

Uh Oh.
« on: January 21, 2010, 06:19:23 AM »
Here's a story I just heard on the news.  Evidently the shooter had a CCW issued from VA and was carrying legally in PA, however it's not stated in this particular article.  I wish the victim the a quick and full recovery.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/012010_Family_Of_Eddie_DiDonato_Speaks_Out_After_Shooting

Critically-Wounded Victim To Have More Surgery

PHILADELPHIA - A recent college graduate is clinging to life following the Old City shooting caught on tape outside Fox 29's studios over the weekend.

On Wednesday, the family of 23-year-old Eddie DiDonato spoke out publicly for the first time and called him a hero.

"The fact that Eddie is alive is a true miracle," said Gina Rubel, a spokeswoman for DiDonato's family.

The La Salle College High School and Villanova University graduate was still listed in critical condition Wednesday at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.

"Eddie was shot in the hand, the chest, the abdomen. The injuries were to his lungs, his liver, his intestines, his colon and his hand," Rubel said.

Fox 29's security cameras caught the violence at Fourth and Market streets on tape around 2:30 a.m.

DiDonato and a group of friends were playing around doing chin-ups, according to the family spokeswoman, after they'd been out earlier in Old City.

That's when the surveillance cameras captured shooting suspect Gerald Ung – a Temple University law student – walking and bumping DiDonato's group.

DiDonato and friends followed him, the video shows, and police said Ung pulled out a gun.

Family says that's when DiDonato stepped toward Ung, protecting his friends

Police said Ung fired multiple times.

"We want everyone to know that Eddie is our hero. He stepped in front of his two friends when they were presented with a .38-caliber gun that was being pointed at them. He took two bullets to the chest from four-and-a-half feet away, and within six seconds he was shot six times.

DiDonato has one more surgery, and that's scheduled for Thursday. Fox 29 News is told he is alert, talking and told his family he does remember the shooting.

Family members said DiDonato has received hundreds of well wishes and visits from his former coaches at Villanova.

Ung's first court appearance is scheduled for Monday.

Thoughts?  Negative press for CCW holders?

Moosie

• Life Member
Re: Uh Oh.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 01:59:39 PM »
Unfortunately, this article doesn't tell us all the facts of the case (newspapers rarely do).  Who knows what the group of friends was saying to Mr. Ung. 

If Mr. Ung was in fear of his life (one man against a group of folks who were following him and MAYBE were threatening him in some way shape or form)...  well, if Mr. Ung feared for his life, then I do not think this has any bad / negative news for CCW holders. 

If on the other hand, Mr. Ung decided to show them who's boss and whipped out his pistol and started shooting and had no fear for his own life... then it's Mr. Ung who is in trouble.  I still do not think this paints CCW carriers in a  bad light.  Yes, one bad apple can spoil the bunch, but RARELY do you hear of someone acting irresponsible with a CCW permit.  I'm not saying it doesnt happen -- it certainly does.  But usually, its the bad guys who have no permits (or right to possess a firearm) who are in this position.

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »
Fox news aired the street cam that caught the entire shooting unfold. It showed the shooter standing up to the group of 4 or 5 people, draw his weapon and fire. You could even see the muzzle flash. he didn't appear to make any attempt to evade the aggresion , rather it looked like he stood up to it. While the video had no sound to it, the inmage of one unarmed man being shot six times won't help the defendant at all.
Honey I swear I've had that gun for years!

Moosie

• Life Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 05:12:30 PM »
Oh, I think any time anyone is involved in a shooting - regardless of whether it was an act of self defense or not, has an up hill battle on their hands. 

I havent seen the video of the shooting. 

Moosie
"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison, The Federalist Papers)

Southern Kent County Resident

Sigarms12

• deccw.com founder
  • Life Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:40:45 PM »
Can some one post a link to the video please
" An armed society is a polite society"
I not sick, I'm twisted. Sick makes it sound like there's a cure.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 05:57:18 PM »
Ill see if I can find it.

GunEnvy

• Life Member
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 06:27:57 PM »
I was kinda wrong, It was caught on a Fox Philly surveillance camera.

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/generic/news/Fox-29-Surveillance-Tape