Author Topic: Waiting in Dover..  (Read 3468 times)

chrisindover

Waiting in Dover..
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:24:02 AM »
Hello All,

I finally got everything together and submitted my app on March 2. The folks at the Prothonatary office in Dover were very helpful, considering how busy they are. I was informed that typical turn around time from the Dept. of Justice is 60 days until returned to Dover. Through the grapevine, I also hear one of the very few people processing applications is retiring, so I seemingly have quite a wait that I can capitalize on for research. I'm honestly not expecting to know anything before summer. I am still undecided as to pistol vs. revolver, caliber etc.. I stopped at Shooters Supply to snoop around a bit and inquire about class availability. The gentleman behind the counter informed me that the most recent class has been canceled due to so many of the registered students being declined for their CCDW. Only four of the registered students were granted theirs. It is a bit disappointing in a few respects, one of which is the indication that a such a great percentage of folks are being denied a CCDW, and the other is that these folks feel they probably do not need proper instruction regardless. I was also told that you must sign up for a firearms training course within 60 days of CCDW approval, but I was thinking if a greater % of folks are being denied and classes are being canceled, it might be more difficult in the near future to make the 60 day limit. I was also wondering what type of action would be needed to make Delaware a "shall have" state rather than "may have", as we are now, where an applicant could apparently be declined solely at the whim of a judge, regardless of how clean their background is or the level of their "need" to carry.

On another note, I wanted to take a minute to thank the folks here for the time and effort that they put into this forum. It has served as guidance for me throughout the application process, and answered quite a few questions that I have had. Any remarks/feedback/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated  ;)

czer

Re: Waiting in Dover..
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:56:57 AM »
I do not understand how it would happen, that a large number of folks would be declined.... When I went through my course with Dave Johnson, (which I took before applying) he informed us that it was rare that anyone was denied, as long as they understood and followed the right steps of the process.  And this made sense to me since, I assumed, only applicants without a record would try to apply. The real roadblock is how cumbersome the process is and the length of time it takes, which discourages people from applying in the first place. Did you hear of any particular reason for the denials?

Good luck in your journey. There are many here who will help you!

oldgraygeek

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:04:02 AM »
The guy who trained me in 2005, and my wife last year, kept records. All but one of the people he trained over the years -- at least dozens IIRC, probably more than 100 -- were approved. The single exception: a guy whose background check did not come up clean.
"She's petite, extremely beautiful, and heavily armed."
--Sheriff Bud Boomer, Canadian Bacon

chrisindover

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:09:56 AM »
I didn't ask why such a high percentage of registered students were supposedly denied their CCDW.  I agree that most people with criminal backgrounds would not bother applying. I have heard that there are classes offered statewide that are considerably less expensive than what Shooter's Choice charges, so that could be a factor as well.

colt0208

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:10:33 AM »
I called yesterday to check on my application, which I turned in on January 13th, the lady told me she was getting a bunch back that were turned in the beginning of January. She said that if I don't see something by next Friday to call back. I turned my application and training certificate in at the same time in Dover.... Good luck, welcome to the site..

chrisindover

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcomes. This forum does have alot of very useful info that would be otherwise unavailable to the general public.

I rec'd a call from the prothonotary office yesterday because I inadvertently omitted my ss# on the application. I submitted it on March 2nd. I'm glad the clerk caught it before it heads north. Also, when I submitted my app, I included the receipt from State Bureau of Identification when I had my fingerprints taken. The clerk indicated it would help speed up the process a bit. I don't recall reading where the receipt is requested.

A question I have is does the permit only cover one weapon, and are we required to use that weapon we plan to carry in class for certification?

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:57:27 PM »
ChrisinDover,
The permit does not limit you to one weapon. Also there are plenty of people in this forum who carry two weapons, ex: in the belt and ankle holster.
You can shoot anything at the training class, including a .22.
New Castle County