Author Topic: What can I do?  (Read 3817 times)

John

What can I do?
« on: November 09, 2012, 05:01:01 AM »
I travel around the 50 states and have a little bit of knowledge about carrying through some of those states..  However, I work in refineries as well as Military bases. Both don't allow weapons. Now, motels in "industrial areas" are not always in desirable areas.  I'm trying to figure a way to bring my weapon. I work short term and leaving my weapon in the hotel is not always an option.   Any ideas?

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Re: What can I do?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 08:50:36 AM »
     serious as  a heart atttack.   Machine broke down at  a "site", so off I went, got to check in.    Then it hit me. Box of ammo, and gun still there.  My ars got extreamly tight.

Any Chance of  a just off site locker, changing room thing?  Any one that you can chat with to suggest it?   Good luck.   
Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »
Excellent business opportunity for any hotel/motel with a safe.  Store your guns at a small fee that guarantees they will be there when you come for them.  That’s a good suggestion to make as well.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
John,
What about a portable gun vault. I have one in my truck for my 9mm, that has a 1500lb cable that can be secured to any seat track of any secure part in the vehicle. That way you can switch it out if you are using rental vehicles. No need to leave in a motel/hotel where there are people coming in to clean rooms, and that may "happen" across you gun.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Bmel17

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 04:13:12 PM »
John,
What about a portable gun vault. I have one in my truck for my 9mm, that has a 1500lb cable that can be secured to any seat track of any secure part in the vehicle. That way you can switch it out if you are using rental vehicles. No need to leave in a motel/hotel where there are people coming in to clean rooms, and that may "happen" across you gun.

Problem is if he travels onto a military base, the weapon is still there. 

John, sorry but I can't think of any ways around getting around the places you want besides leaving it in your hotel safe.  The refinery I would just leave it in the car/truck safe and remember out of sight out-out of mind.  The issue I would worry about is the military base.  They will search contractor cars.

John

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 01:38:42 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone. I used to carry shot guns for shooting clays around the country. We would leave them in the hotel room but was never real comfortable about it. Only problem is our last day on site we check out of the hotel because we will start traveling home after work.  I wonder if gun shops would store the gun....for the day?  I'm not to worried about refineries but this boy ain't doing anything screwy at a military base.  It's funny though, I'm working in the oil fields south of San Antonio and all these boys down here have a gun in the truck!

eclipse

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 05:38:02 PM »
I have the same problem.  I travel to sites all over the country with very expensive equipment.  Most of the sites i go to have no firearms or ammo policy in place and have signs posted as well.  Some will not even allow them in the parking lot.  Most of the guys i work with that carry will leave it in the safe in the hotel room.  We also have a security plan with SOPs to minimize our exposure.  If the company wont pay for it we do it ourselves.   I have been on some sites in states where carry would be a real problem.  In this case we try to hire private security.  Mostly retired LEO or federal agents.  They provide site security and it never hurts to have someone who knows the area and personalities. We do not hire cut rate guys.  I had one take off one time at the first sign of trouble. I have been doing this for a long time.  Even if you can carry you need to be on you toes all the time.  If you fine a solution let me know.....