Author Topic: Keeping an eye on the Delaware Government  (Read 3668 times)

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
Keeping an eye on the Delaware Government
« on: January 23, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
Everyone needs to keep and eye on what's going on in the Government of the State of Delaware, whether it be gun-ban legislation or whatever. I understand that they are planning to introduce some of the gun legislation this week. With this site you can track bills and be informed.

This is the site to find out what legislation is in progress or in planning:

http://legis.delaware.gov/Legislature.nsf?open

This site should be bookmarked/or on your favorite list, so you can click on anytime and find out what's happening right under your nose.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Keeping an eye on the Delaware Government
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:48:04 PM »
So they introduce legislation next week. How long does it take if it passes to become law.

I don't even pretend to know how it all works.

carter

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
https://de.blackboardconnect.com/

You can sign up for Delawares notification service. you can get emails when a bill is introduced, passes and is signed by the gov.

kimmie

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 03:26:33 PM »
Well I wrote to Senator Carp ..I mean Carper and used the handouts we got from that rally.  SERIOUSLY - did he even READ my email?  It's ALL I can do to keep from replying back to him asking if he seriously thinks that I'm that UNEDUCATED that I have NO CLUE what this genius in the WH wants to propose! 

Here's his reply, try not to laugh too hard:

Thank you for contacting me to express your thoughts about ways to reduce gun violence and your concerns about reinstating the ban on military-style assault weapons. I appreciate hearing from you about this matter.

Let me begin by saying that I mourn the horrific loss of life at Sandy Hook Elementary School in the wake of the December 14, 2012 shooting. As parents of two sons, my wife Martha and I can only imagine the pain that these families are going through. Our thoughts and prayers will remain with them and with the victims of other shootings that have occurred and reoccurred across the country. 

Since the Sandy Hook shooting, more than 900 Americans lost their lives from gun violence and more will continue to die each day that we do nothing. While no single change in the law will bring closure to these grieving families or completely prevent future violence, we have a duty to examine the facts, hear from a wide spectrum of experts and try to reach a consensus on ways to reduce gun violence. Trying to develop a consensus on this issue has been difficult and elusive, but that can no longer be an excuse for inaction. 

As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, and I believe that law-abiding citizens have the right to bear and own arms. I have a long family history with firearms. My ancestors were craftsmen who developed a firearm known as the Carper rifle 150 years ago in West Virginia. My father was an avid outdoorsman and gun collector. When I was young, he taught me to hunt and fish in the hills of West Virginia. I'm a gun owner and have taken my sons trap shooting as part of their introduction to firearms training in the Boy Scouts. 

My family also has a great deal of admiration for law enforcement personnel. My father worked most of his life as a claims adjuster for Nationwide Insurance, and he had the opportunity to interact with law enforcement officers throughout his career in the insurance industry. During that time, he gained a great deal of respect for those men and women who were willing to risk their lives every day for their fellow citizens. Having an appreciation for law enforcement is just one of my father's values that I carry with me to this day. Just as importantly, my father taught me to use common sense in all aspects of my life, and I believe this credo should be followed when debating gun control legislation as well. 

On December 19, 2012, President Barack Obama tapped Vice President Joe Biden to lead a task force that would get the facts and come up with some common sense ways to reduce gun violence. Over several weeks, Vice President Biden met with various stakeholders—victims of gun violence, law enforcement, mayors and governors, sportsmen and hunters, educators, mental health experts, the video game and movie industries, and the leadership of the National Rifle Association—and compiled a list of recommendations to address this issue. 

On January 16, 2013, President Obama unveiled these recommendations, some of which would be achieved through executive action and others that would require Congressional approval. For example, the President put forward a proposal to eliminate the loopholes in the current background check system. Over the years, just about everyone I've spoken with agrees that keeping weapons out of the hands of criminals is the right thing to do, and strengthening background checks is a sensible way to do it. The President also recommended looking at reinstituting the ban on military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines that have been used all too often in mass shootings and strengthening the ban on armor-piercing bullets. Many of these weapons were intended for the battlefields of war, not our neighborhoods, and I believe that we're long overdue to revisit this matter in the halls of Congress. While these recommendations meet the common sense threshold, they also adhere to the Second Amendment. To view President Obama's proposal, please visit the following link: 

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/docs/wh_now_is_the_time_full.pdf

Retired Navy Vet, Married w/2 kids.  Work in Salisbury MD.

Kimber HD

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 03:44:47 PM »
Its shocking how quickly people forget who got them there to begin with.

DISCLAIMER - Don't blame me...I didn't vote for him.

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »
Here is how a bill works in the Delaware Legislature, taken from their own site:

http://legis.delaware.gov/Legislature.nsf/Lookup/Bill_Process?open&nav=leginfo
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 09:19:32 PM »
Here is how a bill works in the Delaware Legislature, taken from their own site:

http://legis.delaware.gov/Legislature.nsf/Lookup/Bill_Process?open&nav=leginfo

Many thanks.