Author Topic: Delaware proposal?  (Read 3332 times)

TwistedKarma

• Administrator
  • Life Member
Delaware proposal?
« on: January 28, 2013, 10:10:35 AM »
Looks to be a proposal by Rep? 

http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001PDYwjmrxtSWh1WrN7HeWZbGKxt175TMPaAefWig2scT6yo2a28W37C215b5BEzLIJkvu2Yqdkw7E2ksLcvBxXLO0yo46s1_LaEKOvDvTxRCMqPmuD1W0H9o0fVZuMqipOKkImJdk-k-q7P3DiOHhmWNwT1j6xMTiDsYWyAaUpHcMEH8jo8PJIy17oUlRBaM5_pAAAkgQedM=

House & Senate Republicans Unveil School Safety and Firearms Crime Proposals

Recognizing the need for public policy improvements in the wake of the tragic shooting deaths in Newtown, CT, last month, House and Senate Republican legislators have unveiled a package of bills addressing school safety improvements and increased penalties for firearms violations.

The leaders for the House and Senate Republican caucuses -- House Minority Leader Danny Short (R-Seaford) and House Minority Whip Deborah Hudson (R-Fairthorne) and Senate Minority Leader Gary Simpson (R-Milford) and Senate Minority Whip Greg Lavelle (R-Sharpley) -- announced six measures that they and members of their caucuses are supporting to improve overall public safety in Delaware.

The measures aimed at making Delaware schools safer include the following proposals:

A House bill creating the Delaware School Safety and Security Fund for emergency expenditures to improve school safety;
A Senate Concurrent Resolution that will examine implementing a system to allow emergency text messages to be sent to Delaware 9-1-1 call centers; and
A House bill requiring the installation of a "crisis button" in each Delaware public school to alert law enforcement when there is an emergency.
The package that will be introduced includes the following firearms-related bills:
A House bill increasing the penalties that relate to the possession of a firearm by a person prohibited;
A Senate bill expanding the crime of "providing a false statement" to include falsely reporting a lost or stolen firearm; and
A House bill stiffening the penalties for the use of a firearm during the commission of a crime;
For detailed summaries of the bills, click here.

"Among the many things we learned from the unspeakable acts at Sandy Hook Elementary last month is that there is plenty of room for improvement, especially as it relates to how well prepared Delaware schools are in the event an emergency of such magnitude were to occur here," Rep. Short said.  "We believe our package of bills is a great start when it comes to addressing serious public safety concerns within our schools.  Our proposals are ones that can be implemented today and believe will go a long way toward better protecting students, teachers and staff.

"When it comes to protecting Delaware citizens from the unlawful use of firearms in Delaware, we also believe our initiatives will enhance the overall public safety of our state," Rep. Short said.  "Stiffening the penalties for certain firearms violations should be an important component of any package of gun bills.  For example, if a gun is used in the commission of a crime, it just makes sense that the penalty should be more severe if someone were injured, or worse, killed.  It's one of the common-sense measures that we are proposing to help stop the illegal use of firearms in Delaware." 

Rep. Hudson said: "This package of legislative proposals contains sound public policy initiatives that will help make our schools safer.  This is by no means an exhaustive list and members in both caucuses continue to examine where additional public safety improvements can be made in Delaware.  This package cuts across party lines and one that all legislators should be able to support.  I encourage my colleagues in both chambers to review our bills and we welcome their co-sponsorship on the legislation we are unveiling today."

Senator Lavelle, a prime sponsor of the Delaware School Safety and Security Fund, said the fund is an acknowledgement that some schools are at very different phases of their planning to address school safety issues. "This would allow some funding to help schools that may need a little bit more money to get over the top with particular initiatives they're trying to implement," he said.

Senator Cathy Cloutier (R-Heatherbrooke), a lead sponsor of one of the firearms bills, said: "It's important we send a clear message that if you're not allowed to have a gun, you can't have a gun, and that in Delaware we're serious about it.  And, if you're caught illegally in possession of a firearm, you're going to face stronger penalties."

During the Joint Finance Committee break, the bills will be circulated to all legislators for additional sponsors and then introduced.  Other initiatives and ideas are being researched and it is anticipated that additional legislative proposals will be forthcoming.

Just trying to survive in the second Great Deprssion.

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
Re: Delaware proposal?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
A House bill creating the Delaware School Safety and Security Fund for emergency expenditures to improve school safety;
A Senate Concurrent Resolution that will examine implementing a system to allow emergency text messages to be sent to Delaware 9-1-1 call centers; and
A House bill requiring the installation of a "crisis button" in each Delaware public school to alert law enforcement when there is an emergency.
The package that will be introduced includes the following firearms-related bills:
A House bill increasing the penalties that relate to the possession of a firearm by a person prohibited;
A Senate bill expanding the crime of "providing a false statement" to include falsely reporting a lost or stolen firearm; and
A House bill stiffening the penalties for the use of a firearm during the commission of a crime;
For detailed summaries of the bills, click here.

Is there any politician in the state who can look you in the eye and say that any of this has the potential to stop the next Sandy Hook?  Delaware has tried stiffening penalties for gun crimes but because of the overburdened criminal justice system too many gun charges are plea bargained down to lesser charges.  "Crisis button," really? Just put it right next to the gun free zone sign.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 06:50:07 PM »
How brilliant is this comment:

Spokeswoman Kelly Bachman said the governor’s proposals would ban the future sale of assault-style rifles and magazines that hold greater than 10 rounds for a handgun or five rounds for a rifle, saying that Markell “believes that our communities would be safer with fewer of those.

“The purchases of handguns, standard rifles or shotguns from licensed gun dealers ... would not be affected by those proposals despite rumors or misinformation to the contrary,” Bachman said.
Proud resident of Kent County DE

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »
Some encouragement from the House, 33rd District's Harold "Jack" Peterman in a letter I received today.

it reads:

Thank you for your letter expressing your position on gun control. I am a strong supporter of the NRA, and a person who knows the value and purpose of the 2nd Amendment. I will not vote for a law that punishes law-abiding gun owners for the actions of criminals.

I wish more people like you would take the time to contact their elected officials and make their voices heard, especially now that our 2nd Amendment Rights are being threatened.

Please continue to stay active in your government and feel free to contact me anytime if i may be of service. If you have an email address and would like to receive update information from me throughout the year, please email me at Jack.Peterman@state.de.us with your address.

Sincerely,
Jack Peterman
State Representative
33rd District

Now that's what I call a Representative that we can be proud of, and he has our back. Jack does not follow 
"The Delaware Way"

SR9
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »
Yeah but you should ask him if sending contacting the anti-gun people makes one difference or not. My opinion is that 99% of the population of Delaware could contact them saying they were against the proposed laws and they'd still vote for their personal agendas.

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 12:09:42 AM »
I know Jack Peterman.  He will speak with you personally any time.  I have supported Jack for a very long time.  Please remember that he is in a very difficult position right now.  He works for his constituents.
Proud resident of Kent County DE