Author Topic: Carper, Carney among gun owners backing bans  (Read 6230 times)

Thlax

Carper, Carney among gun owners backing bans
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:32:53 PM »
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130205/NEWS02/302050063/Carper-Carney-among-gun-owners-backing-bans

Carper, Carney among gun owners backing bans
Written by Nicole Gaudiano News Journal Washington Bureau
Feb. 04 delawareonline.com

WASHINGTON — Sen. Tom Carper owns a 16-gauge shotgun. Rep. John Carney owns a Remington 11-87
shotgun.
The Delaware lawmakers, both Democrats, are gun owners who support banning military-style assault weapons and
high-capacity ammunition magazines. The pair also favor background checks for all gun purchases.
They are among 46 Democratic and 119 Republican members of Congress who own firearms, according to a USA
TODAY/Gannett Washington Bureau survey.
“My dad was a hunter.” Carper said. “My guess is he would say, ‘If you’re going to shoot a deer or shoot a squirrel,
what do you need? You probably don’t need what we call an assault weapon.’ He’s a big believer in Second
Amendment rights and so am I. But he’s also a big believer in using some common sense.”
Carney said assault rifles such as the one used in the Dec. 14 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in
Newtown, Conn., “belong in the military, not in the hands of people who have either ill intent or mental health
issues.”
There is no public record of gun ownership by the 535 members comprising Congress. As lawmakers debate gun
control following the Newtown shooting, USA TODAY and the Gannett Washington Bureau contacted every
congressional office to ask: Does the lawmaker own a gun?
Of the 217 House and Senate members who declined or did not return requests to respond, 138 are Republicans.
Only 10 percent of Republicans who responded said they do not own a gun, compared with 66 percent of Democrats.
Only 12 lawmakers from the Northeast said they own firearms, while 77 from Southern states do.
Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., declined to say whether he owns a gun. Like Carper and Carney, he has co-sponsored
legislation to ban high-capacity ammunition magazines and require universal background checks for gun sales.
But Coons hasn’t signed onto a proposal to ban assault weapons, as Carper and Carney have.
The Delaware lawmakers say legislation to require background checks for all gun purchases has the broadest support
and is likely to pass Congress.
Carper said that’s also reflected in calls, emails and letters to his office from constituents. Most callers said they
opposed a proposal to ban assault weapons but expressed support for universal background checks.
Gun ownership is a long-standing family tradition for Carper. One of his ancestors, Joseph Carper, developed a
firearm known as the “Carper rifle” 150 years ago in West Virginia. His late father was a hunter and gun collector.
Carper doesn’t use his shotgun, which his grandfather gave him. But he spent his childhood hunting and fishing with
his father and grandfather. Possum, rabbit, squirrel and wild boar made up the family’s Carpers’ Thanksgiving Day
dinner, he recalled.
“My mother would say, ‘Why can’t we be like a regular family and eat a turkey?’ ” he said.
Carney, originally from Claymont, said he developed an interest in shooting sporting clays and turkey hunting later
in life, after spending more time downstate as an elected official.
He won a double-barreled shotgun at a wild-game dinner in Leipsic, during the early 2000s and traded it in for his
Remington, a semi-automatic. He uses it on a turkey hunt almost every year.
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20130205/NEWS02/302050063/Carper-Carney-among-gun-owners-backing-bans
Page 2 of 2 05/02/2013 09:32 AM
Carney said there was a big difference between his shotgun and the semi-automatic shotgun he would like to ban.
His gun doesn’t have military characteristics — as defined for shotguns in legislation he is co-sponsoring — such as
a pistol grip, a grenade launcher or a fixed magazine that can hold more than five rounds.
“It’s a danger to law enforcement, and in my view, not necessary for people to protect themselves in their homes,” he
said. “It’s certainly not a hunting weapon.”
USA Today reporters Paul Singer and Gregory Korte contributed to this story.

Adrenolin

• Life Member
Re: Carper, Carney among gun owners backing bans
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »
.. A grenade launcher...

BONK!

Hawkeye

• Life Member
  • Jihad This!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
Carney said there was a big difference between his shotgun and the semi-automatic shotgun he would like to ban.
His gun doesn’t have military characteristics — as defined for shotguns in legislation he is co-sponsoring — such as
a pistol grip, a grenade launcher or a fixed magazine that can hold more than five rounds.
“It’s a danger to law enforcement, and in my view, not necessary for people to protect themselves in their homes,” he
said. “It’s certainly not a hunting weapon.”

Somebody ask this clown why he believes that the addition of a pistol grip to a shotgun makes it dangerous to law enforcement and disqualifies its use for home protection.  This is typical of the kind of lies they are continuing to spread. I have a magazine extension on my Benelli Nova Tactical so it now has a seven round magazine, that makes it an assault weapon by these standards.  The 5 round limit is completely arbitrary and meaningless.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they suppress.
Sussex County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
These magazine limits tell me they want to restrict your ability to defend yourself if attacked. I guess your suppose to reach your 5 round (long Gun) or 10 round (semi-auto pistol) limit and then gus sit there and wait for the criminal to kill you. My semi-auto has a 17+1 capacity. I didn't use to carry a extra mag very often. But, I bought 2 more 10 rounders and will definately have the on me. That way instead of 18, I'll have 20 and be legal.
Might even buy more 10 rounders and carry a total of 31 rounds, legal. Suck it Carney, Coons and Carper.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 07:00:22 PM »
That way instead of 18, I'll have 20 and be legal.

Exactly what I was thinking!

And I'll still have my Mossberg 500 with the Cruse Missle launching rail!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:09:00 PM by Obleo »
Proud resident of Kent County DE

formerly known as frank

• Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 02:25:28 PM »
The people (idiots) have spoken, and elected these liberal drones, by the way how did you vote? Have you ever seen a shotgun (except an English stocked side by side), which did not have a pistol grip, or semi-pistol grip?

Lumspond

• Life Member
  • NRA life member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 09:18:49 PM »
Stallone said he is in favor of gun control. Not surprising, and who cares? Just mentioning it because ones of his comments was "what are ya gonna do with an assault rifle? You can't hunt with it".
Really? You have no clue Sly.
New Castle County

SturmRugerSR9

• Life Member
  • Made in America
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 11:48:52 PM »
"assault rifles", from this point on to be known as Modern Sporting Rifles, are used all over the south for hunting wild hogs. So who says you can't hunt with them Sly. How would he know, he can barely talk in an intelligent voice.  Sounds like Elmer Fudd to me.
I'D RATHER HAVE A GUN IN MY HANDS, THAN A COP ON THE PHONE!

I reserve the right to not be perfect.

PROTECT THE 1ST AND 2ND AMENDMENT!

DECCW Permit Holder
Former PA (non-resident) Permit Holder
NRA Member
USAF Veteran
Kent County
Former Lobbyist
Christian/Conservative
I cling to my GOD and my gun

Obleo

• Life Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 01:19:19 AM »
A Corvette?  What are ya gonna do with it?  Ya can’t take it for no drive!
Proud resident of Kent County DE

Adrenolin

• Life Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:03:10 PM »
And I'll still have my Mossberg 500 with the Cruse Missle launching rail!

Don't you wish! I mean with all the hype over the 'fact' that you simply cant miss with a shotgun and it's spray will obliterate everything in a 10' path and pepper the entire side of a barn with one shot.. wouldn't a grenade launcher mounted under the barrel simply be the 'right' thing?  : )

I tend to ignore the whole celebrity political comments thing but that bit about shotguns and grenade launcher just made me laugh. Still does every time I read it lol

CamKrist

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 01:43:11 PM »
Similar subject was being discussed at yahoo answers last week. I can post the link if needed.
Don't waste your time if you want to find excellent term papers writing service, order here http://www.marvelousessays.co.uk/